AZ Central article on DT | The Boneyard

AZ Central article on DT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/olympics/
"It's just the world we live in, and it's unfortunate," women's Olympic coach Geno Auriemma said. "There are other athletes and other teams that haven't done a third of what she's done, and they get celebrated. Maybe it's because their sport is new or because they do it once every four years. But Diana is consistently great, year in and year out. And because it's
women'sbasketball
in the U.S., she gets overlooked. If she had done what she's done in another country, she'd be looked upon as an icon."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I love Geno, and generally speaking, I love his advocacy of WBB, but Diana gets as much exposure as can be reasonably expected. He's exactly right- it is WBB, and it's not that popular a sport. If D doesn't get enough praise heaped on her for what she does, imagine how Trinity's squash program must have felt.

I will say that taking an extreme position on the subject, even if some people find it tiresome at times, is important. If Geno didn't do it, who else is visible enough in WBB? WBB probably does need an extreme voice speaking on its behalf at times. But he's being a bit over the top in this instance.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, how many will even read about Geno's "extreme position"?

Incidently, before Geno, there was Pat. When you get down to it, one of her greatest gifts to the game was the exposure she gave it. As times have changed, Geno has probably had an even greater exposure. Then again, does Craig Sager know how to pronounce Summitt?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I love Geno, and generally speaking, I love his advocacy of WBB, but Diana gets as much exposure as can be reasonably expected. He's exactly right- it is WBB, and it's not that popular a sport. If D doesn't get enough praise heaped on her for what she does, imagine how Trinity's squash program must have felt.

I will say that taking an extreme position on the subject, even if some people find it tiresome at times, is important. If Geno didn't do it, who else is visible enough in WBB? WBB probably does need an extreme voice speaking on its behalf at times. But he's being a bit over the top in this instance.
I don't see Geno's statement as extreme. A little exaggerated, perhaps, but not extreme.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He takes an extreme position on exposure for WBB in general. It's always under-exposed, it never gets the respect it deserves in any situation, everyone associated with the sport is embattled. And he's usually right, which is it's important that he speak up. In this case, it's over the top. WBB, especially at the pro level, isn't that popular, but D is one of the very few players the average sports fan could name and recognize. She is also paid big bucks. The US is fortunate enough to have a large number of talented athletes in a wide variety of disciplines. What more recognition should she be getting?

Reaction Score
He takes an extreme position on exposure for WBB in general. It's always under-exposed, it never gets the respect it deserves in any situation, everyone associated with the sport is embattled. And he's usually right, which is it's important that he speak up. In this case, it's over the top. WBB, especially at the pro level, isn't that popular, but D is one of the very few players the average sports fan could name and recognize. She is also paid big bucks. The US is fortunate enough to have a large number of talented athletes in a wide variety of disciplines. What more recognition should she be getting?

Start by sending more media to game and practices, for the entire team not just Dee. And when they do cover the women, it would be helpful to send media (written and TV) who know a little something about the women's game, including which players are on the court.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No one said his statement was extreme. I said he takes an extreme position on the topic of recognition for WBB. As in, he brings it up constantly, even in cases that are borderline at best.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Start by sending more media to game and practices, for the entire team not just Dee. And when they do cover the women, it would be helpful to send media (written and TV) who know a little something about the women's game, including which players are on the court.
What Olympic sports had their exhibitions covered on national TV at all?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spectators can watch the team play or they can watch the individual players. Though the women don't have the size or hang time of the men, players like Diana, Candace, Maya, Angel, Seimone, Tina, and Catch do special things on the court.

Reaction Score
Spectators can watch the team play or they can watch the individual players. Though the women don't have the size or hang time of the men, players like Diana, Candace, Maya, Angel, Seimone, Tina, and Catch do special things on the court.

agree. The key is to get them to watch, better in person. Once they've gone, chances they will go again.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No one said his statement was extreme. I said he takes an extreme position on the topic of recognition for WBB. As in, he brings it up constantly, even in cases that are borderline at best.

OK, and I disagree that the position he takes here is extreme. And I'm sure that he is asked to comment frequently, so it may not be accurate to say he brings it up constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom