Ayanna (Possibly) Out For Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ayanna (Possibly) Out For Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The sky isn't falling, but Geno & Co are probably rethinking lots of things now. For this year, it's a rotation of 8 -- we've been there before -- with 1 or 2 possible for outside of rotation minutes. This is not promising for an NC, but if Paige can engineer one anyway, this would put her on top of Mt. Rushmore. I'm rooting for her... and don't waste your breath trying to talk reason to me. Reason is just a mask for skepticism.

And no pessimism for next year, please. One possible lineup for 2024-25 could be KK Ash Q Jana and Ice. There's some fight in that group, especially KK Ashlynn and Jana. The rotation would include Ayanna Morgan and Allie for a total of 8 again, and it would include 2 5'10" leapers, 2 6'0" shooters (that's the current listing for Allie and Q), 2 at 6'2", 1 at 6'3" and 1 at 6'5". This is a taller team than the one that made it to the NC game against SC last time and they certainly didn't have an easy path to get there then.

But, if the gods decide to smile on Storrs again (hey, I can dream can't I?), the lineup could look like KK Ash Q Ice Jana Ayanna Sarah Paige Azzi Morgan and Allie. That's a clear 11 player rotation with 2 more for emergencies. I don't have nearly the same confidence about Paige and Azzi coming back next year, but it's certainly possible. They are besties, after all and the dream of playing together for a season is, I'm sure, tantalizing to them. And once again, we'd be able to say, "If this group is all healthy [sigh] they'd be one of the best teams in D1, if not the best."

So, I'm done crying in my beer. I can root for this group and have a damn good time doing it. I will love and celebrate whatever they accomplish, and I don't need any "realists" trying to tell me how dismal everything seems. Because when the tough get going, ain't no one tougher than Nika and Ashlynn and Paige and KK and Aaliyah, with Aubrey and Qadence and Ice bringing a bit of toughness off the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It was never a question.

You would never answer my question as to why Geno said Patterson might be back by March. As it turns out, it was a legit question and UConn wasn't being honest about AP's health. But you kept hammering at me, pretending I was an idiot for asking.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately you are right. If for whatever reason a couple of players missed a game we would be under the required 7 available players and the game might have to be canceled or postponed as I understand it. It is what it is, hard to fathom the last three years even being possible back to back.
Huskies have 10 still on the roster so if a couple of players miss a game they still have 8, so no cancelled games. Even if they dropped to 8, I doubt Amari would get any minutes!

Reaction Score
You would never answer my question as to why Geno said Patterson might be back by March. As it turns out, it was a legit question and UConn wasn't being honest about AP's health. But you kept hammering at me, pretending I was an idiot for asking.
Or they didn’t know then.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geezus. The only question was by people who misheard him. He said Yanna, not Jana. But you can’t accept that. The only people who thought he might be talking about Jana simply didn’t hear him correctly. Your question was totally based on that and sorry if you felt being hammered about a question that always related to Yanna, never Jana. Peace.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It wasn’t even that. The whole premise of the question was based on the OP which was because the poster misheard the name. And if I recall, Geno didn’t say by any particular date, only later in the season. SIUconn is pissed at me because I answered on who Geno was actually talking about. The news about Yanna today is not a “wow, he wasn’t talking about Jana”., because he was never talking about Jana. Neverneverland.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geezus. The only question was by people who misheard him. He said Yanna, not Jana. But you can’t accept that. The only people who thought he might be talking about Jana simply didn’t hear him correctly. Your question was totally based on that and sorry if you felt being hammered about a question that always related to Yanna, never Jana. Peace.

This isn't the place for this, but your claim is inaccurate. I specifically asked why Geno would be talking about Patterson being back by March. You kept beating a straw man to death.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It wasn’t even that. The whole premise of the question was based on the OP which was because the poster misheard the name. And if I recall, Geno didn’t say by any particular date, only later in the season. SIUconn is pissed at me because I answered on who Geno was actually talking about. The news about Yanna today is not a “wow, he wasn’t talking about Jana”., because he was never talking about Jana. Neverneverland.

Nope. The thread is not hard to find. And you even claimed--wrongly--that Geno was saying Patterson might not be ready for the front court rotation, not that she wouldn't be back.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Well they knew something because Geno said, "If we get 'Yanna' back by March." Originally I thought he might be talking about Jana El Alfy because it made no sense for Patterson to be questionable until March based on reports and Geno's own words. But obviously it would've made little sense for El Alfy to return either. So I wondered what he was talking about. I was informed I didn't use logic for asking this question. Turns out, it was a pretty good question.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This isn't the place for this, but your claim is inaccurate. I specifically asked why Geno would be talking about Patterson being back by March. You kept beating a straw man to death.
Seriously. Ask him. He was talking about Patterson. So how would anyone be able to answer you other than the way I did because your question, whether you know it or not, implies he might not have been talking about Patterson. And I told you he was talking about Patterson. And I see you are jumping to the conclusion he wasn’t being honest, which, and I don’t mean to be snarky, is a conclusion based on an assumption that he knew then what he just revealed. You have to accept that when he made the original statement he probably was hoping she would improve enough to play

On top of that, any chance he was ever talking about Jana playing this year is about zero. Not only had they said she would miss the season, but even if she had a faster heal than expected, if she is as good as hoped, he would not have blown a full season of eligibility by using her in a few season ending games plus tournament games and her minutes would have had to be limited. Good night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Seriously. Ask him. He was talking about Patterson. So how would anyone be able to answer you other than the way I did because your question, whether you know it or not, implies he might not have been talking about Patterson. And I told you he was talking about Patterson. And I see you are jumping to the conclusion he wasn’t being honest, which, and I don’t mean to be snarky, is a conclusion based on an assumption that he knew then what he just revealed. You have to accept that when he made the original statement he probably was hoping she would improve enough to play

Yes, we know for sure now he was talking about Patterson. And at the time I asked why would he be talking about Patterson being out until March when all reports were she would be back by opening night, and you kept responding to that in a huff about El Alfy even though I wasn't talking about El Alfy.

As for jumping to conclusions,....

If Geno indicated it was up in the air whether Patterson would return by March in that interview, then his previous comments and that of the program's were misleading. She can't both be ready by opening night and maybe not ready before March.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, we know for sure now he was talking about Patterson. And at the time I asked why would he be talking about Patterson being out until March when all reports were she would be back by opening night, and you kept responding to that in a huff about El Alfy even though I wasn't talking about El Alfy.

As for jumping to conclusions,....

If Geno indicated it was up in the air whether Patterson would return by March in that interview, then his previous comments and that of the program's were misleading. She can't both be ready by opening night and maybe not ready before March.
He didn’t say March. He said late in the season . And if you expect me or anyone to read his mind, good luck. What was the point of asking anyone but him if you actually understood him to be talking about Yanna? And your assumption, which is what it is, that they were intentionally misleading the world is a great conspiracy theory which leads me to ask you what was in it for him to mislead anyone.? There is at least the real possibility that he was going on the conclusion of medical and training staff at the time. Feel free to continue a rather pointless discussion, but i’m done.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
He didn’t say March. He said late in the season .

Actually, he said neither now that I triple check. He said "If we get Yanna back." No qualifier there. That's even worse than by March. He said if we get her back.

Other than that throw-away line at the end of that interview, neither he nor the program ever said her situation was dire or that she might not be back, but they obviously knew otherwise.

And your assumption, which is what it is, that they were intentionally misleading the world is a great conspiracy theory

You're speaking for me yet again. I said his comments and the reports by the team were misleading, and they clearly were.

Reaction Score
Well they knew something because Geno said, "If we get 'Yanna' back by March." Originally I thought he might be talking about Jana El Alfy because it made no sense for Patterson to be questionable until March based on reports and Geno's own words. But obviously it would've made little sense for El Alfy to return either. So I wondered what he was talking about. I was informed I didn't use logic for asking this question. Turns out, it was a pretty good question.
I know I’m impressed by the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky