Ayanna Patterson - WNBA Twitter | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson - WNBA Twitter

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m trying to tell anyone who will listen, she’s extra special. She’s going to be a fan favorite, fun to watch, and definitely worth the price of admission. ;)
I thought Liv might give us our first in game dunk. Now I’m thinking it might be Ayanna.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Only one concern and it’s one I have with all UConn freshmen. Can they adapt and learn the UConn system.
A bigger concern should be that she doesn't change her mind, e.g Laura Harper or Elena Delle Donne.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A bigger concern should be that she doesn't change her mind, e.g Laura Harper or Elena Delle Donne.
Why is that a bigger concern? Both the players you mentioned were over 12 years ago. Not sure why anyone would be concerned about that at all (that she would change her mind), never mind a "bigger concern" than any other with her recruitment...

Elena was an unusual situation - she quit basketball for a year. She lost her love for the game. Plus she had family issues. Harper was just a situation where Brenda kept recruiting her even after she verbaled to UCONN, and convinced her to rescind her verbal and go to Maryland. There was more to it as well, but Brenda played dirty.

Anyway, sometimes when a kid verbals, it seems like they aren't "all in". They don't visit with their fellow classmates, or in general just seem lukewarm. But there's zero about her that tells me she isn't 100% all in, and thrilled to be coming to UCONN. I already predict she will be at the top of the list of "all time favorites" when her UCONN career is over!!! Can't wait to see this kid!!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I’m trying to tell anyone who will listen, she’s extra special. She’s going to be a fan favorite, fun to watch, and definitely worth the price of admission. ;)
Carnac, as you know I'm on board about about her. I think that if she plays to her potential she will be the big all others will be compared to. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn WBB has had more than its share of great athletes through the years. But when I consider all the tremendous athletes to wear a Husky uniform, none of them combine the same level of size, strength and athleticism as Ayanna. With another year to develop before she arrives in Storrs, Ayanna’s upside is either thrilling or terrifying depending on whether she plays for or against you.

Reaction Score
Only one concern and it’s one I have with all UConn freshmen. Can they adapt and learn the UConn system.
when you get special player you adapt your system to them there's a reason Geno is a very successful coach when he first started you did his way as better talent arrived his way has adapted to the talent ..no way when he first came to Uconn a player would slap him on his but like paige did the list is short of players he's given that much latitude Ayanna is the continued evolution of of the women's game

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn WBB has had more than its share of great athletes through the years. But when I consider all the tremendous athletes to wear a Husky uniform, none of them combine the same level of size, strength and athleticism as Ayanna. With another year to develop before she arrives in Storrs, Ayanna’s upside is either thrilling or terrifying depending on whether she plays for or against you.
You know a player is extra special when she’s 5 years out from being draft eligible, and GM’s and coaches are already looking over their glasses at her.

The great thing about her coming to UConn is she and her parents know that Geno absolutely will not allow her to cheat her potential. He’s going to pull, push and prod to get everything she has out of her.

When she enters the league, the question won’t be is she ready for the W, the question will be is the league ready for her. Like some of the uber talented high school seniors across the country, she could play at the college level this year, and for the most part, hold her own.

Patterson or Brady are going to be a tough combination to beat. I think both of these players can answer “yes“ to the question Geno likes to ask all potential recruits: can you be great when I need you to be? :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
when you get special player you adapt your system to them there's a reason Geno is a very successful coach when he first started you did his way as better talent arrived his way has adapted to the talent ..no way when he first came to Uconn a player would slap him on his but like paige did the list is short of players he's given that much latitude Ayanna is the continued evolution of of the women's game
It's a two-way street for the superstars. Paige had to adapt too. She wants to pass. UCONN needs her to shoot. They adapt to him too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's a two-way street for the superstars. Paige had to adapt too. She wants to pass. UCONN needs her to shoot. They adapt to him too.
I also believe that from Day 1 at UConn, Paige made a concerted effort not to let Geno ride her about her defensive effort, or lack there of. Her ability out of HS to play solid defense all the time was the biggest question mark, imo. From Day 1 at UConn, Paige made that a nonissue.

Reaction Score
Patterson reminds me of a Tuck with good knees. Not extremely tall but can guard any inside player, shoot over or around any outside defender, and has the basketball smarts to make everyone on her team better.

Reaction Score
I also believe that from Day 1 at UConn, Paige made a concerted effort not to let Geno ride her about her defensive effort, or lack there of. Her ability out of HS to play solid defense all the time was the biggest question mark, imo. From Day 1 at UConn, Paige made that a nonissue.
Paige is a great off ball defender but still needs a lot of work on her on ball skills. Like all of the great offensive players Geno recruits I have watched them all get much better defensively as the years go by.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Patterson reminds me of a Tuck with good knees. Not extremely tall but can guard any inside player, shoot over or around any outside defender, and has the basketball smarts to make everyone on her team better.
I read somewhere that right now, she can guard 1-5. We'll see if that translates to the college level. I'd settle for 1-4. She's listed at 6'3". She may not be through growing yet. Excuse me while I take another "gulp" of my Ayanna Patterson kool-aide. ;) Don't try and figure it out. Just believe what you see (your eyes will never lie to you. There's no such thing as "lying eyes"), and what her coach says about her. He knows her better than anyone. She passes the eye-test. She's can't miss.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
....................and go where??? Not a chance!! She's too set on coming to UConn and playing for Geno. She's thought this out very carefully with her parents and other advisors. In HER heart, she's wants to be a HUSKY. I've remarked in other posts that she probably wishes she could skip her senior year in HS, and enter UConn THIS year. She's champing at the bit to get here. I may be part of a small minority, but I think she could hold her own at the college level this year just as Azzi and Paige could have in what was their senior year in HS. This is my 11,000th post, on my way to 40,000. :)

Tip in..........one more thing that just occurred to me. UConn is still the most highly visible (bell cow) WCBB program in the country. What better place to market her brand than at UConn? She (and Azzi, Paige already is) will soon be a household name in WCBB because of the number of UConn games that are televised nationally. With the new NIL legislation set to kick-in next month, she should be in demand before long. Her minutes will increase as the season progresses and she becomes more comfortable with the system. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why is that a bigger concern? Both the players you mentioned were over 12 years ago. Not sure why anyone would be concerned about that at all (that she would change her mind), never mind a "bigger concern" than any other with her recruitment...

Elena was an unusual situation - she quit basketball for a year. She lost her love for the game. Plus she had family issues. Harper was just a situation where Brenda kept recruiting her even after she verbaled to UCONN, and convinced her to rescind her verbal and go to Maryland. There was more to it as well, but Brenda played dirty.

Anyway, sometimes when a kid verbals, it seems like they aren't "all in". They don't visit with their fellow classmates, or in general just seem lukewarm. But there's zero about her that tells me she isn't 100% all in, and thrilled to be coming to UCONN. I already predict she will be at the top of the list of "all time favorites" when her UCONN career is over!!! Can't wait to see this kid!!
DITTO!!!!!! She's can't miss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom