Ayanna Patterson on first visit to Storrs: ‘Everything that I had heard, believed in was there’ | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson on first visit to Storrs: ‘Everything that I had heard, believed in was there’

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I had no problem reading this as it was displayed. Additionally, I tested using outline.com and it worked just fine.

Nice two handed dunk!

Re: UCONN: “You could feel the love in the atmosphere, that they love basketball down there. It’s really the basketball capital of the world.”

“Just being out there and seeing the difference of actually being in practice, seeing how hard they work, the different drills — they don’t ever take a play off — it was really great to see that in person,” Patterson said.

Getting to meet future classmate Brady was a cherry on top. “[From] when she (Ice Brady) first came down there, she sees the difference in the program and the players that are there now,” Patterson said. “It was really fun getting a chance to talk to her [and hear] the things that she wants to accomplish while she’s there, so it was really great.”

Re: Kiki Rice: “I’m trying to influence her that UConn is the way to go,” Patterson laughed. “We were teammates before, so we can make it happen in college, so hopefully she takes my advice and she commits there. But there’s really no pressure, it’s her decision. She wants to win multiple national championships, so there’s no better place than UConn to do that at.”

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Must have been surreal with Paige showing up to support Ayanna, not to mention her teammates. Had to be a thrill for her team, and I think it is a bit surreal that a college player who has only played one season is such a celebrity no matter where she goes. We are lucky to have her and can't wait to see what she can show the country this year.
GO HUSKIES

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
“You could feel the love in the atmosphere, that they love basketball down there. It’s really the basketball capital of the world.”

200.gif

Reaction Score
I can't recall when a UConn team has ever been as big as it is this year, or as it will be next year. Can't think of any UConn team that is so deep as this year's team, or will be as deep as next year's team. Even when Maya and Breanna were winning championships, the bench was pretty sparse.

Never seen this before.....

Nice

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I can't recall when a UConn team has ever been as big as it is this year, or as it will be next year. Can't think of any UConn team that is so deep as this year's team, or will be as deep as next year's team. Even when Maya and Breanna were winning championships, the bench was pretty sparse.

Never seen this before.....

Nice

When you get a moment, check out the 2000-01 team. Five Olympians, six (?) first round draft choices, 10(?) players drafted overall.

Bird and Taurasi, Sveta and Shea. Swin Cash! She and Bird and Taurasi made the list of the WNBA 25 greatest players in the league. Tamika Williams, overall number 1 recruit (I assume Taurasi was, too). Schumacher. Ashja Jones. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It never occurred to me that Ayanna committed to UConn without ever visiting the campus. I knew she had shown up at the Butler game in Indianapolis. Now that’s recruiting!

From the article it does sound like this was Ice’s second trip to Storrs.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That multiple championships phrase. UCONN is def the program if she wants that!
Yup. Don't think Duke ever won one, though they came close in '06(?). UCLA won one in the 70s in the AIAW years, led by Anne Meyers (Drysdale). Stanford has three championships, with about a 30-year gap between 2 and 3.

UConn seems like a good choice for Kiki!

BTW, the fact that she visited Arizona would belie to some extent her sense of need to attend a top-tier academic institution. I don't mean to derogate that school, it's probably a fine school to attend, but it's not UCLA. I doubt it is in UConn's class, either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I had no problem reading this as it was displayed. Additionally, I tested using outline.com and it worked just fine.

Nice two handed dunk!

Re: UCONN: “You could feel the love in the atmosphere, that they love basketball down there. It’s really the basketball capital of the world.”

“Just being out there and seeing the difference of actually being in practice, seeing how hard they work, the different drills — they don’t ever take a play off — it was really great to see that in person,” Patterson said.

Getting to meet future classmate Brady was a cherry on top. “[From] when she (Ice Brady) first came down there, she sees the difference in the program and the players that are there now,” Patterson said. “It was really fun getting a chance to talk to her [and hear] the things that she wants to accomplish while she’s there, so it was really great.”

Re: Kiki Rice: “I’m trying to influence her that UConn is the way to go,” Patterson laughed. “We were teammates before, so we can make it happen in college, so hopefully she takes my advice and she commits there. But there’s really no pressure, it’s her decision. She wants to win multiple national championships, so there’s no better place than UConn to do that at.”
Glad to hear that Ayanna enjoyed her weekend on campus. She's got so much more to look forward to. She only saw the tip of the iceberg. :) Thanks for posting this Beercats. It's a good read.

Reaction Score
When you get a moment, check out the 2000-01 team. Five Olympians, six (?) first round draft choices, 10(?) players drafted overall.

Bird and Taurasi, Sveta and Shea. Swin Cash! She and Bird and Taurasi made the list of the WNBA 25 greatest players in the league. Tamika Williams, overall number 1 recruit (I assume Taurasi was, too). Schumacher. Ashja Jones. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

This team might be deeper in terms of its bench. And it is certainly much taller than that 2000-01 team. Of course, that team was unmatched in terms of its all-time greats.

But look how many kids on this and next year's team are over 6'. How many 6'3" and taller. And how many talented players are on the bench overall. Will this team with Paige, Azzi, etc. be as talented? Don't know, but a lot of tall, talented kids on the bench.

Wow! Tallest UConn team ever?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It never occurred to me that Ayanna committed to UConn without ever visiting the campus. I knew she had shown up at the Butler game in Indianapolis. Now that’s recruiting!

From the article it does sound like this was Ice’s second trip to Storrs.
Yeah, you remember that ALL campus visits were canceled last year by the NCAA because of the COVID19 pandemic. THAT my friend is stepping out on faith!! I'm glad it was everything she thought it would be. I really hope that Rice shares her opinion. I'd really love to have her come to Storrs also. I hope Rice had a chance to speak with Evina about the dynamics of choosing the right program.

NCAA dead period will end on June 1 for Division 1 sports

Updated April 16, 2021 - Effective April 15, the NCAA announced that all in-person recruiting for D1 sports will resume June 1, 2021. This means that coaches will be able to return to their normal recruiting calendars and activities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tall, but how strong a post presence? There are a few of the better teams with 6’7” post players, do we have players that can compete with that?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

2015-16 wasn’t bad either. 5 Olympians if you include Lou, 7 first round draft picks, 8 overall draft picks, 6 first team AA’s, 3 NDPOY’s.

Reaction Score
Tall, but how strong a post presence? There are a few of the better teams with 6’7” post players, do we have players that can compete with that?

Height is no guarantee of dominance. For all the 6'5" players on UConn the best & strongest rebounder is 6'3" Edwards.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
2015-16 wasn’t bad either. 5 Olympians if you include Lou, 7 first round draft picks, 8 overall draft picks, 6 first team AA’s, 3 NDPOY’s.
If you count Pheesa as three, I calculated recently that that team had 14 All-American seasons among their top 7 players. Lots of achievement there.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Nice two handed dunk!

I doubt if she wins multiple NC at Duke. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom