Ayanna Looked a Bit Raw in Game One | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ayanna Looked a Bit Raw in Game One

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ayanna Patterson dunks!!! Get use to it. It's going to happen. The first time she does it at a home game, the crowd will go nuts, and that play will be on SportsCenter. ;) I appreciate and respect others that don't like or want to see women dunking. Fear not, you won't see too many women dunking this coming season or the near future. Only a very select few. Here's the thing about girls dunking in high school or college....those that can will. Those that can't, wish they could. As we know, (I'm guessing here) 95% or more of women that play basketball cannot dunk. Look for a moment at the list of the best women in the history of UConn basketball. How many of them could dunk, or dunked in a game?

Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore are considered two of THE BEST players in UConn lore. Neither of them ever dunked a ball in a game. No hops. A lot of players can "jump", but not dunk. It wasn't something either cared or worried about because it was never part of their skill set. I know there were times during certain games that Dee would have flushed a dunk or two if she could have, just to make a statement.....like in the closing moments of a huge rivalry game, putting that final cherry on top.

Most of the greatest women players that ever played the game NEVER dunked. They didn't have the hops. I believe most of them would have IF they could have. You can't expect or ask a player with a certain skill set not to use or exhibit them in a game. Why would you? As a coach, I would never ask a player not to do something he/she can do, is comfortable doing, and has been doing for years. Coaches strive to help players get better, not stay the same or retard.

Use it or lose it. I'd let them use it. I would give Ayanna the green light to dunk EVERYTIME the opportunity presented itself......except if we were blowing out a team, then just lay it up. You never want to rub salt in an open wound, or kick an opponent when they're down. THAT would be a "bush league" tactic. Not cool under any circumstances. :confused: Can you imagine a coach telling Michael Jordan or Julius (the doctor) Irving not to dunk in a game? :eek: Me either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
. . . Most of the greatest women players that ever played the game NEVER dunked. . . .
I recall Candace Parker dunking twice against UConn in what proved to be the last game
between UConn and Tennessee before Pat saw the future and cancelled the series.

If I recall correctly those dunks were late in a game that was already decided. I suspect that
Geno didn't appreciate it, which is why he may not be happy with a UConn player showing up
an opponent.

Reaction Score
I recall Candace Parker dunking twice against UConn in what proved to be the last game
between UConn and Tennessee before Pat saw the future and cancelled the series.

If I recall correctly those dunks were late in a game that was already decided. I suspect that
Geno didn't appreciate it, which is why he may not be happy with a UConn player showing up
an opponent.
Volnation speaks on those dunks often. Someone over there recently said if they get shade she may dunk on us. I wish I was like Volnation. I wanna live on my old laurels. Man I was the business in my 20s!!

I would love to see Shade at Connecticut—while wearing her Big Orange #12 and throwing one down on them like Parker did mercilessly!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thank you....welcome to the club!! :)
I'm in and as we have written to each on the forum our anticipation and expectations in regards to Ayaana is off the charts. If she works hard I can envision a banner with her name on it. Yes I will enjoy every slam she puts through the nets as I will enjoy every Wilson burgher she feeds the opposition. I see her as a game breaker while the future holds a cornucopia of riches as does the present. I've got a front row seat to watch the games on my big screen. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That would be great, but extremely unlikely. The average 15-year-old girl grows less than half an inch more. Ayanna is 17, which means the odds of any growth at all is very slim.
youre GIF

:eek: Couldn't help but notice the irony of you disagreeing about something that might or might not happen in the future with a guy named @Carnac. :D

PvP

Reaction Score
What I have never quite understood, is why alley-oops are so rare in wbb, even when there are players who can slam? Whatever the reason, I fully expect that will change when Paige sets up Ayanna a year from now! With both using their respective skills, it will be a thing of beauty or menace, depending on which team is reacting....

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
What I have never quite understood, is why alley-oops are so rare in wbb, even when there are players who can slam? Whatever the reason, I fully expect that will change when Paige sets up Ayanna a year from now! With both using their respective skills, it will be a thing of beauty or menace, depending on which team is reacting....
3 words....Fear Of Injury!

Reaction Score

The block at the 3-pt arc was most impressive because it was at the end of the shot clock, but the second one covered the most ground to get to the block in less than a 1/4 second. I am happy that Stewie appears to be BETTER following her recovery from the devistating (for most mere humans) achilles injury. I hope Stewie stays healthy and collects SIX Olympic Gold medals in basketballl, and then goes to 3x3 for her seventh.... :cool:

Reaction Score
3 words....Fear Of Injury!
That is why I like the fact that AP grabs the rim!
We had a high school Sophomore (guy) dunk at full speed in a game, and he recognized that his head was about to hit the bottom of the backboard, and when he ducked to avoid getting knocked out, he got out of shape in the air and landed on his tailbone. Nothing broken but his pride (someone posted to Youtube - OUCH!). I talked to him after his chemistry class with me the next day, and went over the physics of the dunk, and the reason to grab the rim as he is a human physical pendulum,. Therefore, just before returning to vertical (still swinging, verify no feet are there to land on and turn an ankle, drop down and get back on defense.... Do not celebrate the dunks in the game - let the video guy do the work...

Although I was a wrestler, we had one thing in common - High Jump in track & field....

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
That is why I like the fact that AP grabs the rim!
We had a high school Sophomore (guy) dunk at full speed in a game, and he recognized that his head was about to hit the bottom of the backboard, and when he ducked to avoid getting knocked out, he got out of shape in the air and landed on his tailbone. Nothing broken but his pride (someone posted to Youtube - OUCH!). I talked to him after his chemistry class with me the next day, and went over the physics of the dunk, and the reason to grab the rim as he is a human physical pendulum,. Therefore, just before returning to vertical (still swinging, verify no feet are there to land on and turn an ankle, drop down and get back on defense.... Do not celebrate the dunks in the game - let the video guy do the work...

Although I was a wrestler, we had one thing in common - High Jump in track & field....
You are correct, grabbing the rim makes you a human pendulum and you better have strong hands to either grab or stabilize ur momentum, whn going up and coming down the feeling I always compared it to was.....taking a walk in space without a tether, doesn't take much to knock you spinning outta control usually with bad results.

Reaction Score
I'm in and as we have written to each on the forum our anticipation and expectations in regards to Ayaana is off the charts. If she works hard I can envision a banner with her name on it. Yes I will enjoy every slam she puts through the nets as I will enjoy every Wilson burgher she feeds the opposition. I see her as a game breaker while the future holds a cornucopia of riches as does the present. I've got a front row seat to watch the games on my big screen. :cool:
AYANNA had some TERRIFIC blocks in the 3x3 U 18 competition in HUNGARY this
week There are two more games on SUNDAY for the USA. For an eyeful of some
previous AYANNA BLOCKS,,, check out
the YouTube video of FIBA , u18, 3X3 and click on the video for the USA
Russia game. TWO GREAT BLOCK in the first part of the video!! The end
of the video is painful as the USA blows the lead on some clutch play by
the RUSSIA = the RUSSIANS never gave up and hit their "penalty
free throws" at the end of the game ( in that case they got the two
points AND another possession of the ball ... which led to more points).
The USA threw that one away!!!

Reaction Score
AYANNA had some TERRIFIC blocks in the 3x3 U 18 competition in HUNGARY this
week There are two more games on SUNDAY for the USA. For an eyeful of some
previous AYANNA BLOCKS,,, check out
the YouTube video of FIBA , u18, 3X3 and click on the video for the USA
Russia game. TWO GREAT BLOCK in the first part of the video!! The end
of the video is painful as the USA blows the lead on some clutch play by
the RUSSIA = the RUSSIANS never gave up and hit their "penalty
free throws" at the end of the game ( in that case they got the two
points AND another possession of the ball ... which led to more points).
The USA threw that one away!!!
The good news is that Russia got beat by Hungary in the first Knock Out round [a.k.a. quarterfinals].

Much Like France getting beat in the semis of the 3X3 Olympics, so USA would face someone else in the Finals for the Gold. Hopefully, strong play as a team by our girls will end the same way as the "Elder Statesmen."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom