Ayanna Looked a Bit Raw in Game One | The Boneyard

Ayanna Looked a Bit Raw in Game One

PvP

Reaction Score
It could be nerves but her shots were just heaves for the most part. Rice looked very smooth....

Reaction Score
I like her a lot as a PF especially if our future center can drill outside shots (or if UCONN has a 6'6 or taller center).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here's the good thing about Ayanna..........She may not be through growing ~ she won't arrive on campus for another 9 months (end of May to attend summer school). That means time to perfect her game a little more, mature a little more, spend 9 more months in the weight room, and hopefully grow another inch or two. ;)

At the beginning of the 22-23 season, I going to conduct a BY poll. The question will be: "In what month will Ayanna record her first official DUNK?" November, December, January, February or March? She dunks too easily and effortlessly not to flush one (or more) in a game, and she dunks with BOTH hands. You know it's going to happen. The only question is when. :rolleyes: I'm submitting my guess right now. I say November. Some time in their first 5 games. When she does, it WILL be on SportsCenter. ;)

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Dunks mean ONE thing: you can jump! I hope the women's game never resembles the men's game. I really believe that some people would rather go to a game and see a player dunk than watch an all-around player like Paige.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Dunks mean ONE thing: you can jump! I hope the women's game never resembles the men's game. I really believe that some people would rather go to a game and see a player dunk than watch an all-around player like Paige.
The good news is those two won't be mutually exclusive at UCONN when Ayanna arrives.

At the beginning of the 22-23 season, I going to conduct a BY poll. The question will be: "In what month will Ayanna record her first official DUNK?"
I think you can even do one for the first Paige-Ayanna alley-oop :cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe if she dunks, November is too soon. Her first month will see her concentrating on too many other things that will gain her playing time. Ono can dunk but so far she has not in three years.

Reaction Score
Here's the good thing about Ayanna..........She may not be through growing ~ she won't arrive on campus for another 9 months (end of May to attend summer school). That means time to perfect her game a little more, mature a little more, spend 9 more months in the weight room, and hopefully grow another inch or two. ;)

That would be great, but extremely unlikely. The average 15-year-old girl grows less than half an inch more. Ayanna is 17, which means the odds of any growth at all is very slim.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe if she dunks, November is too soon. Her first month will see her concentrating on too many other things that will gain her playing time. Ono can dunk but so far she has not in three years.
We'll see Don. I'm sure there are some others that will also vote November when I post it. I'm sure I won't be the only one. There are lots of ways she can find herself under the basket with the ball affording her the opportunity..........a rebound, the end of a fast break, a steal, an opponent's turnover, receiving a pass as she's cutting to the basket, getting a pass off of a pick and roll, driving to the basket, driving the lane off a pick, cherry picking, losing her man on an in-bounds play. Lots of ways. I like my chances. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That would be great, but extremely unlikely. The average 15-year-old girl grows less than half an inch more. Ayanna is 17, which means the odds of any growth at all is very slim.
I wonder how tall Brittany Griner, Liz Cambage, Kamilla Cardoso and Nancy Mulkey were when they were 17? :rolleyes: I get your point, but she may not be average and have one more small growth spurt in her. Maybe not. I covered myself by saying "she may."

Donalddoowop, ONO has never dunked in a game. She has also never dunked with both hands and grabbed the rim like this afterwards either. ;) Don't sell Ayanna short, you never know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While easy to focus solely on dunks, being able to jump this high usually means blocked shots and good defense. One or two dunks in a game rarely influences final score but loving what looks like a great defender.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While easy to focus solely on dunks, being able to jump this high usually means blocked shots and good defense. One or two dunks in a game rarely influences final score but loving what looks like a great defender.
Patterson is definitely among the best. if not the best defender in her class. Her teammate on this team Mikayla Williams is also a UCONN POI and the best defender in her class. Madison Booker is probably second best in the class of 23. If UCONN could land Williams or Booker to pair with Patterson that would literally and figuratively be check mate.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very true. Dunks are ALWAYS for show. When players want to make a "statement", they flush one, HARD!!! Something to excite the fans in the stands. It's still counts the same as a lay up. Lay ups don't get the fans or players on the bench out of their seats, a "spectacular" dunk will.

When LeBron James or Kevin Durant dunks one hard, they're making a statement to the other team. Which would embarrass you more, an opposing player hits a lay up on you, or "posterizes" you with a thunderous dunk over you right in your face? :eek:

Query..........do they have lay up contests during the NBA All-Star weekend? :rolleyes: Hummmmm.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Patterson is definitely among the best. if not the best defender in her class. Her teammate on this team Mikayla Williams is also a UCONN POI and the best defender in her class. Madison Booker is probably second best in the class of 23. If UCONN could land Williams or Booker to pair with Patterson that would literally and figuratively be check mate.
As good as Patterson is defensively, she'll improve even more because Geno stresses defense. She'll work on her defense as much as her offense once she arrives on campus. If you can't/won't play defense, you won't play that much, ask Saniya Chong. She loss her starting spot in 2014 (after the Stanford game) because of her inability to keep her man in front of her. She got it back 2 years later in her senior year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

At the beginning of the 22-23 season, I going to conduct a BY poll. The question will be: "In what month will Ayanna record her first official DUNK?" November, December, January, February or March? She dunks too easily and effortlessly not to flush one (or more) in a game, and she dunks with BOTH hands. You know it's going to happen. The only question is when. :rolleyes: I'm submitting my guess right now. I say November. Some time in their first 5 games. When she does, it WILL be on SportsCenter. ;)
No need to wait, she'll dunk within her first 5 games as a freshman

PvP

Reaction Score
Liv CAN dunk but never has in competition and, I strongly suspect, never will as she isn't a "banger" while Ayanna is very likely to inflict dunks on UCONN opponents because she is a stereotypical banger.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Gee Monte I look forward to watching Paige play every game. This doesn't mean a nasty in your face UCONN jam hurts the team or means that we become a team that changes our style of play. I have been waiting for a Husky to slam one down for years. Like many other posters I see only good coming from a future jam. What I really love to watch is a no dribble 4-5-6 quick pass offense. OK the only thing that bothers me is the few times when a player is at the top of the key and dribbles for 15 seconds or so not associated with the end of a quarter. What pulls so many of us with no direct tie to UCONN is the execution of play I see no reason a slam can't be part of that execution. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be a " tic.. tac... toe" Bueckers to Patterson to Edwards = score
or Bueckers to Edwards to Patterson = score
maybe substitute in a Muhl? It could be like " TINKER TO EVERS TO CHANCE"
The dunks may come or not, the passes will be wonderful to behold!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom