Ayanna blind in one eye | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ayanna blind in one eye

Reaction Score
I would assume that, like Ayanna, you compensated for any problem with depth perception. I am curious though. Were you a better shooter from one side of the basket than the other? For me, it was always the left wing, although that had nothing to do with my vision.
Seems classless putting a happy face on this but I'm in more than full agreement . DEPTH perception

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I worked with a guy that lost an eye to cancer. His doctor recommended that he take up bowling to help with his depth perception. He developed into quite a good bowler and usually led the company bowling league in average.
Interesting! After a two year COVID layoff from bowling I joined a bowling team last December. They were in need of a 4th bowler. One teammate Dave had had a stroke while sleeping on a business trip 4 years ago. He laid in a hotel bed paralyzed. Finally the maid found him about 9 hours after he awoke and just laid there. I get chills thinking what must have going through his mind. He lost vision in his right eye, hearing in his right ear, use of his right arm, and has limited use of his right leg. His left side had some damage. Doctors told him it was doubtful if he would ever walk again. Today, he is walking with a cane, laboriously to be sure. He was righthanded. He taught himself to bowl lefthanded to the doctors' amazement. He averages 148. Without his cane and use of his right arm for balance his bowling approach is a bit of a random walk but by God he gets to the line where needs to be. As he says he is not a quitter. He is quite an inspiration but so is our other bowling teammate, Keith. He has MS and uses a cane to walk. He too has a laborious bowling approach. Keith averages 156. The local MS organization has Keith give presentations to other people with MS but don't have Keith zest for life and positive thinking. His attitude is amazing considering prior to contracting MS he had a very hard scrabble life. Some people are amazing. Oh yeah, Dave's high game this season is 207! Keith's is 212!

Reaction Score
I'm among those who go through life with monocular vision. My right eye is amblyoptic and has 30/150 vision when only that eye is open. But since the bad eye points in a different direction than the good eye my brain throws in the towel and only açcepts the signal from the good eye when both eyes are open. Since I've never had stereo vision I have no idea how I view the world as opposed to the binocular folks. The brain is pretty good at compensating and uses lots of cues to make sense of things.

Sports wise I haven't noticed it has too much effect on what I can do. Hitting a baseball is a challenge. I'm streaky shooting a basketball. Both of these things can be explained by other than vision issues of course. Outside of sports I'm not quite sure how far the front end of my car is to an object when parking. Typing on phone keyboards, as I'm doing now, results in hitting the wrong letter a lot. For the most part my vision is what it is and has had little effect in my life - as far as I know. Ayanna will do her thing just fine.
Perfectly and accurately stated .. I m monocular too!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Why do we have a thread about this? She's a top talent, no need to discuss any physical deficiencies. Pre-season FOTY, that's all we need to know. Go Ayanna, go Huskies.

sun

Reaction Score
Why do we have a thread about this? She's a top talent, no need to discuss any physical deficiencies. Pre-season FOTY, that's all we need to know. Go Ayanna, go Huskies.
Knowing about her vision issue now could explain why I thought that she tended to miss bunnies in high school.
And if she begins dunking during games that can also be a consequence of her vision issue.
So many are against women dunking, but dunking may actually help her game and give her confidence that we couldn't otherwise understand the reasons for her doing it.
Apparently we didn't really know her but now we know more.
And it could explain why some events happen on the court as the season progresses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just got a tweet that she's the preseason Big East freshman of the year..awesome news. not bad for a blind-in-one-eye athlete hopefully she has a career like another blind-in-one-eye athlete Wesley Darcel Walker NY Jets..btw I heard the selection on Ayanna was a SLAM DUNK decision...lol..Congrats Ayanna now let's go get that chip

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom