Awful performance | The Boneyard

Awful performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't ever like to be too critical after a W but I really didn't like the way we played tonight. Anytime we got a lead around 9 and it looked like we would open up the game, we would have lousy offensive possessions and defensive lapses. We couldn't hit anything which happens sometimes but we should've played much smarter. DeAndre could not be guarded by BC and we went away from him as the game progressed. It was a bad performance by Shabazz, he just didn't have a good floor game tonight, too much 1 on 1 play from him and the missed free throws at the end were very UnBazzlike. Only good I'm taking away from tonight is that we got the W and I know we will play better tomorrow night.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Agreed 100%.
Who played well?! Maybe Deandre? But we went away from him and he started settling for 3s.

The only positive from this game... I don't think we could have played much worse, yet we got a W

Reaction Score
Thing Deandre is going to have to get used to is being doubled down low because he is our only guy that can score down there. If he can learn to pass out of the post when doubled with our shooters on the peremeter. Woah!

Reaction Score
3 turnovers is impressive
tough to turn it over when you're not moving the ball at all... just one on one play the whole game starting with Bazz. He passed up some good looks and took lots of tough, forced, settled shots. complete opposite to how we've executed over the first four games.

Reaction Score
BC is still a decent caliber team, good big who we'd take in a nano, so they get credit. We did not move it well. They had Giffey locked up.

Reaction Score
I don't ever like to be too critical after a W but I really didn't like the way we played tonight. Anytime we got a lead around 9 and it looked like we would open up the game, we would have lousy offensive possessions and defensive lapses. We couldn't hit anything which happens sometimes but we should've played much smarter. DeAndre could not be guarded by BC and we went away from him as the game progressed. It was a bad performance by Shabazz, he just didn't have a good floor game tonight, too much 1 on 1 play from him and the missed free throws at the end were very UnBazzlike. Only good I'm taking away from tonight is that we got the W and I know we will play better tomorrow night.

It became a FT contest. The middle of the second half just had no flow to it. It is hard to pick up your intensity when there's constant stops and starts.

What was frustrating was that we were still close to,putting them away. Giffey took a three to go up 14 that might have been the final nail. Boat then ran a lousy break and Giffey had a chance for a putback and blew a layup when we were up nine. Kromah fumbled away a breakaway dunk that maybe would have put us up nine (he's gone RJ Evans on us - promising first game or two, followed by looking overmatched). Those kind of plays are ones that you need to finish a team off.

I'm a little concerned about this one since we didn't really have an extended period of time when we elevated our play (other than perhaps the brief stretch of DD getting hot when we went up 31-20). We were just sort of steady blah, and I like seeing flashes where we look dominant. But I'll put it in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
The TO's were very low but if there was a statistic for mental errors we would have had a ton of them tonight. They just didn't play smart basketball.

Reaction Score
Yep, Boat and Bazz taking 3 pt shots when there was not a blue uni in sight, and only 5 seconds gone on the shot clock with under 2 minutes to go. We had absolutely no concept of time management when the time was starting to run out. Where was KO??

Reaction Score
It became a FT contest. The middle of the second half just had no flow to it. It is hard to pick up your intensity when there's constant stops and starts.

What was frustrating was that we were still close to,putting them away. Giffey took a three to go up 14 that might have been the final nail. Boat then ran a lousy break and Giffey had a chance for a putback and blew a layup when we were up nine. Kromah fumbled away a breakaway dunk that maybe would have put us up nine (he's gone RJ Evans on us - promising first game or two, followed by looking overmatched). Those kind of plays are ones that you need to finish a team off.

I'm a little concerned about this one since we didn't really have an extended period of time when we elevated our play (other than perhaps the brief stretch of DD getting hot when we went up 31-20). We were just sort of steady blah, and I like seeing flashes where we look dominant. But I'll put it in the rear view mirror.

We didn't look dominant because we didn't take and hit threes. Way too rough on Kromah, he caused a monumental steal down the stretch. Huge play.

Reaction Score
We didn't look dominant because we didn't take and hit threes. Way too rough on Kromah, he caused a monumental steal down the stretch. Huge play.

Fair point. Forgot about that play. I just remembered him getting beat back door and fumbling away a breakaway layup. But that was a big steal that led to the Daniels layup.

Reaction Score
Yep, Boat and Bazz taking 3 pt shots when there was not a blue uni in sight, and only 5 seconds gone on the shot clock with under 2 minutes to go. We had absolutely no concept of time management when the time was starting to run out. Where was KO??

dudes so bummed out by this performance ya'll are now flat out lying, lmao

Reaction Score
Fair point. Forgot about that play. I just remembered him getting beat back door and fumbling away a breakaway layup. But that was a big steal that led to the Daniels layup.

I was being picayune, he didn't have his best game. But he's still oh so much better than RJ.

Reaction Score
It was an awful offensive performance, but defensively it wasn't bad. BC is a good, efficient offensive team. They got very few clean looks tonight.

By the way, Steve Donahue is a terrible coach. That revolving door rotation just kills them, particularly given that they rely so heavily on jump shooters.

Reaction Score
I was being picayune, he didn't have his best game. But he's still oh so much better than RJ.

I agree - just holding him to,a higher standard. I expect something out of him off the bench, and he actually gave us a little more than I gave him credit for at the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Five assists as a team, first time our offense has looked stagnant and ugly. First time Shabazz and Boatright looked a overaggressive and forced things, like they were trying to prove a point to BC. Not too concerned, glad they hate BC and were forcing things a little. Hopefully we got it out of our system and will curb stomp IU tomorrow.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They seem to fold at the end of the game and let the other team back in the game. That is going to come back and haunt them in the near future unless they can finish strong.
Too much one on one when they needed to pass more to get the open shots that were there

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
the ball movement was really bad. what happened to the 3 beat offense?
Agree...very poor offensive execution. The penetration with a purpose and quick passes to the open player just were not there tonight.

They will definitely have to perform better tomorrow, if we want to beat the Hoosiers.

Reaction Score
Just back from game. As above, not so hot. Can't believe how crappy they played. Low enthusiasm, poor shot selection, and no 3D. A few horrendous calls by refs.

High points: UConn band Sousaphone section was very entertaining. And the BC cheerleaders are hot - and athletic. JC had an endless stream of folks walking up and chatting with him.

Indiana looked very upbeat in their warm-ups. Watch out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hate to bitch after a W, but that was a pretty poor performance tonight.

That being said, they came through in crunch time to pull out the W. Boat especially skying for that board, hitting his FTs and getting the block.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I think Ollie got outcoached in the last 5 minutes of the game. Bazz ISO is not going to cut it against non-BC teams.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie got outcoached in the last 5 minutes of the game. Bazz ISO is not going to cut it against non-BC teams.

We went away from Bazz iso late a couple times - once out of a TO - and got the ball to DD instead. He just missed two good looks.

I thought one positive - from the bench, I assume - was that on our last possession up one with about a 10 second differential, we got right into our offense and Bazz drew a foul. Tendency there is to kill the whole shot clock and end up with a bad look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom