Awe | The Boneyard

Awe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not much here other than - I'm in awe of this team. I know it's only Memphis. But you "see things" that are so darn special. Every player can pass. Every player can shoot. Stewart even the little things - stunning amazing. Unheraled but small things you see- She has gotten so much "tougher" in the paint. She gets her hand on offensive rebound - it tips to KML for an easy shot. Pass extremely well in the post. Rebounding in traffic - when for a stretch they were bothering us there. Catches not so good passes etc and makes plays afterwards that look effortless.

Even though I have always been a UCONN fan- I used to be in awe of John Thompson's HOYAS in his heyday. This game just another example of one team just "wearing" the other out in a methodical/explosive way - like the Great HOYA teams (only better). How can it be so methodical yet so explosive - but . . . IT . . . is. What an incredible joy to watch.

I didn't agree with MC's comments about "slowing down." I thought it was all about the defense at one end and making shots at the other. Too many easy shots on defense didn't allow us to get out on the break so it skewed % of 3's taken. When they stopped Memphis - no one would say "slow down." We just weren't stopping and thus being "allowed" to break. But we were getting wide open shots. Just weren't hitting.

The team I have always believed as greatest of all-time is 01-02 Team. This team - they need to prove it- but as of this moment I'm in awe. Someday maybe they may very well be . . .

Heard a little of post game - they spoke that they were so suprised that Geno appeared so "happy," and "defending "the play of this team in a very positive way (which he sometimes says - worst . . . in America). I get the same feeling at least for this game. Before - even the super teams -he'd find some player to rip or have a doghouse. There is NOBODY in the doghouse. Not THIS year. NOT THIS DAY.

I knew they were super supreme before all this. Of course beating top teams convincingly and w/o some of their stars etc. That was awesome. But IT continues especially from Geno who usually loves to point out flaws. I'm just in awe. . .

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Just imagine,KML and Morgan might be still rusty.When they get their mojo back fully,and get comfortable again with where other players are on the court,and where they should be,we will have to find a new word to replace awe.

Reaction Score
Just imagine,KML and Morgan might be still rusty.When they get their mojo back fully,and get comfortable again with where other players are on the court,and where they should be,we will have to find a new word to replace awe.
Morgan is definitely rusty. Looks a little slower on the come back than Mosqueda-Lewis. Still, you have to like their chances with nearly three months to get ready for the championship game :)

Reaction Score

That's why I have awe and why I compared ot the HOYAS. You can see because they have such a deep bench and the the stars (both from UCONN and the heyday HOYAS) have so much potential growth.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Odd things happen in a game, like when Memphis gets a 12-0 run against the Huskies. But UConn games have always been that way, where the team will blow out the opponents 20-0 and then the other team will get another wind and make a run back. But UConn's runs generally turn out out to be more frequent and of longer duration in points though often in a short span of time. Memphis was feeling a bit better after fighting back to 35-23, then boom it's 50-23 at the half on the way to an overall 19-0 and 22-1 run. We see these things so often we begin to expect them all the time, and maybe we should.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Geno is happy with the team, who are we to be dissatisfied? :)

He seems to really like this team. He has said positive things about every single player in the past month.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If Geno is happy with the team, who are we to be dissatisfied? :)

He seems to really like this team. He has said positive things about every single player in the past month.
Geno being happy and saying positive things is not necessarily good. I'm happier and in a more positive mood when he's in full nitpicking mode and saying that the deadball rebounding looked slack or that the walk-0ns only pulled down 1 rebound. Geno should never be really happy with the team, just kind of verging in that direction.

Reaction Score
Geno being happy and saying positive things is not necessarily good. I'm happier and in a more positive mood when he's in full nitpicking mode and saying that the deadball rebounding looked slack or that the walk-0ns only pulled down 1 rebound. Geno should never be really happy with the team, just kind of verging in that direction.
Yeah I'm the same way. All I can see is Geno is getting older and becoming 'soft.' His former players have called him out on it, but when you're pushing 60 it is what it is. I dunno part of it is his age, and part of it is the difference in kids today versus 20 years ago. WCBB is a lot different now than when he first came into the game, so it's really hard to compare and contrast between eras.

Reaction Score

I agree to an extent but don't agree he should never really be happy.

I used to hate the Dom Perno days of "everything is wonderful" and "what guts" his team shows.

On the flip side there is such a thing as "over-coaching." I thought in Maya's frosh and senior years - he overcoached. In 08 I thought he nit-picked too much. With that said, he is ""graded out" ouf 100 - 99.99 and I would be (negative) -.999999. :)

I don't think at this point there is anything to go after and nit-pick thus far.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm happy as long as we don't get to really, really, really good until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom