Away game Tailgates / Viewing parties ? | The Boneyard

Away game Tailgates / Viewing parties ?

Reaction Score
A quick thought... what if for away games UConn sponsored an on campus tailgate / viewing party for students the same way it does for home games at the Rent.

It could take place in a parking lot (like X-lot) and they could project the game onto a large screen, offering a fun, festive game-watching atmosphere for students. There could be beer, music, and I think it would really help with student enthusiasm.
I know this is something other schools do and I bet students would love it. Think of it as a more tame version of the old Spring Weekend Parties that used to happen in X-Lot pre 2010. Let me know what you guys think.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This idea would be much better executed on campus or nearby.

The concept of tailgating and watching away games or using sporting facilities to host watch parties has been catching on and there is room to make it work.

For the Rent, I'd think the right way to do it would be in the tower of the stadium where they host the signing day events for adults and have one near Storrs for students.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A quick thought... what if for away games UConn sponsored an on campus tailgate / viewing party for students the same way it does for home games at the Rent.

It could take place in a parking lot (like X-lot) and they could project the game onto a large screen, offering a fun, festive game-watching atmosphere for students. There could be beer, music, and I think it would really help with student enthusiasm.
I know this is something other schools do and I bet students would love it. Think of it as a more tame version of the old Spring Weekend Parties that used to happen in X-Lot pre 2010. Let me know what you guys think.
How would you keep it more tame than the old Spring Weekend "parties" (more like mobs, which Incidentally were not school sanctioned events)?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As an example of how you do this type of event, this occurred near where I live this past weekend.

Stadium is city-owned and can be rented out by different groups. Field is being converted from AA baseball field to a football field for local D2 university.

Free admission to stadium to watch on big screen, concessions, bathrooms open, and a private area for boosters willing to pay for the reserved area of the stadium.

"For the first time in Blue Wahoos Stadium history, a free watch party will occur at 6:30 p.m. Saturday when the Greater Pensacola Seminole Club convenes to view the Seminoles against No. 25-ranked Virginia on the main video board beyond right field.

The event is open to the public. You don't have to be an FSU club member to attend. Yes, Virginia, your fans are welcome, too.

Fans are encouraged to bring blankets (no portable chairs) and sit in the outfield grass, or take in the game from the stadium seats. Concession stands will be open, featuring food and beverages, including alcoholic beverages, all available for purchase.

The Hancock-Whitney Club on the third level, which was a purchase ticket admission for GPSC club members, has already sold out. But the rest of the stadium is available for people to walk around or sit in the stands."

Reaction Score
This idea would be much better executed on campus or nearby.

The concept of tailgating and watching away games or using sporting facilities to host watch parties has been catching on and there is room to make it work.

For the Rent, I'd think the right way to do it would be in the tower of the stadium where they host the signing day events for adults and have one near Storrs for students.
Would not be one to argue with you Chin or anyone on the topic but it is not something I could foresee any time soon. Right now we can't get many students to come to an actual home game, why would anyone think they would come to a big screen showing of an away game?
It would be strictly be for the party which personally I have nothing against but wish they had more interest in the sport. As for the tower in the stadium I have attended many of the events you speak of. This to see and speak to the coaches / players etc. Too many man caves and local bars available for the adults to gather at the stadium for what it would cost. Remember UConn has to rent The Rent.
Not sure what the clean up bill would be should students attend ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would not be one to argue with you Chin or anyone on the topic but it is not something I could foresee any time soon. Right now we can't get many students to come to an actual home game, why would anyone think they would come to a big screen showing of an away game?
It would be strictly be for the party which personally I have nothing against but wish they had more interest in the sport. As for the tower in the stadium I have attended many of the events you speak of. This to see and speak to the coaches / players etc. Too many man caves and local bars available for the adults to gather at the stadium for what it would cost. Remember UConn has to rent The Rent.
Not sure what the clean up bill would be should students attend ;)

Not saying it will happen at UConn
any time soon.

Just giving some examples of how it is being done at some other places and how I think it would best work around Storrs.

It's been big with watch parties for FF basketball teams too.

Schools have to be creative to keep fans engaged for away games. No single cookie cutter solution.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the replies. A few more thoughts:

To start off, any kind of away game tailgate or viewing party would have to happen on campus. Having a viewing party at the Rent or anywhere but campus the students won't go, and the whole point is to spark student interest in the first place. Any of the on-campus parking lots would be sufficient and allow the students to walk to the destination.

As far as to how the school would keep it tamer then old spring weekend parties, you said it yourself, spring weekend parties weren't school sanctioned events - this would be, and thus I am assuming the school could implement similar protocol as to what it currently has for student tailgates at the Rent - but its crucial they don't crack down too hard, there should still be drinking, music, etc. The viewing party could start about an hour before the game and students could drink and party while the game commences in the background. It would last the whole game. As it was said above UConn has to be creative to keep fans engaged for away games (let alone home games), and there's no better way than this.

Does anyone know where this idea could seriously be brought up to the university, where it would be seen by the right eyes. I'd be happy to reach out if I knew who to contact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How would you keep it more tame than the old Spring Weekend "parties" (more like mobs, which Incidentally were not school sanctioned events)?
You said it yourself, spring weekend parties weren't school sanctioned events - this would be, and thus I am assuming the school could implement similar protocol as to what it currently has for student tailgates at the Rent - but its crucial they don't crack down too hard, there should still be drinking, music, etc.

Reaction Score
I can promise with you almost 100% certainty, the UConn No Fun Police would never in a million years let this happen.
UConn has to be creative to keep fans engaged for away games (let alone home games), and this plan would be an instant hit if executed correctly. If this idea made it under the right eyes, who knows what could happen.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if they even have the game on in the Union at this point

Reaction Score

Would UConn really be interested in giving another reason to have the students not attend the game. It seems like this would be counterproductive to efforts to improve the in-game atmosphere.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Would UConn really be interested in giving another reason to have the students not attend the game. It seems like this would be counterproductive to efforts to improve the in-game atmosphere.

I think you missed the point. It would be for away games only, not home games.

Reaction Score
This works at big-time P5 schools, not UConn. It wouldn't even work at P5 schools like Virginia or Indiana or Vanderbilt. Maybe on a beautiful day with free booze you get some interest in Storrs but otherwise kids stay in their room and count the days until Thanksgiving break.

Reaction Score
This works at big-time P5 schools, not UConn. It wouldn't even work at P5 schools like Virginia or Indiana or Vanderbilt. Maybe on a beautiful day with free booze you get some interest in Storrs but otherwise kids stay in their room and count the days until Thanksgiving break.
This would absolutely work at UConn - if done right. I'm a student (surprise), and you wouldn't have to ask my friends or I twice to get up on a Saturday, head to x-lot with some speakers, a few racks of beer, girls, and day-drink with the game conveniently on in the background on a big-screen. Greek life would get behind this, as would non-affiliated students. We could celebrate the game and party simultaneously and it would raise interest and enthusiasm in the football team for sure.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the replies. A few more thoughts:

To start off, any kind of away game tailgate or viewing party would have to happen on campus. Having a viewing party at the Rent or anywhere but campus the students won't go, and the whole point is to spark student interest in the first place. Any of the on-campus parking lots would be sufficient and allow the students to walk to the destination.

As far as to how the school would keep it tamer then old spring weekend parties, you said it yourself, spring weekend parties weren't school sanctioned events - this would be, and thus I am assuming the school could implement similar protocol as to what it currently has for student tailgates at the Rent - but its crucial they don't crack down too hard, there should still be drinking, music, etc. The viewing party could start about an hour before the game and students could drink and party while the game commences in the background. It would last the whole game. As it was said above UConn has to be creative to keep fans engaged for away games (let alone home games), and there's no better way than this.

Does anyone know where this idea could seriously be brought up to the university, where it would be seen by the right eyes. I'd be happy to reach out if I knew who to contact.
You said it yourself, spring weekend parties weren't school sanctioned events - this would be, and thus I am assuming the school could implement similar protocol as to what it currently has for student tailgates at the Rent - but its crucial they don't crack down too hard, there should still be drinking, music, etc.
This would absolutely work at UConn - if done right. I'm a student (surprise), and you wouldn't have to ask my friends or I twice to get up on a Saturday, head to x-lot with some speakers, a few racks of beer, girls, and day-drink with the game conveniently on in the background on a big-screen. Greek life would get behind this, as would non-affiliated students. We could celebrate the game and party simultaneously and it would raise interest and enthusiasm in the football team for sure.

Don’t get your hopes up for a school sanctioned event on school/state property w/ underage alcohol consumption and non-affiliated/unaffiliated students but it looks like you can start here...

Reaction Score
Ok. Fair point. Hope it works out as the program needs all the help it can get.

Reaction Score
Don’t get your hopes up for a school sanctioned event on school/state property w/ underage alcohol consumption and non-affiliated/unaffiliated students but it looks like you can start here...

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely put in a suggestion. Also to your point, I meant students not affiliated with greek life - meaning students still at the university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom