Awak Kuier Going Pro | The Boneyard

Awak Kuier Going Pro

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
18-year-old basketball super promise Awak Kuier makes a surprise decision and rejects university basketball because of the WNBA dream - Towards Central European Professional Fields

Google translated from Finnish.

"In addition to his associates, Kuier has discussed plans for the future with Emma Meesseman , a Belgian chosen in the fall, as well as former WNBA league former Ann Wouters . The message from both was clear to Kuier.

- Their message to me was that it would be best if I went to Europe to play. They think the university is the right path for some players, but for me, the best option would be Europe, says Kuier about meeting with top players."

She's going to be an absolute beast in the W.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That seems to be the way she’s been leaning for a while. Well, if she isn’t coming to UConn, I would just as soon see her turn pro.

That's my feeling, too. But if she still has another year of high school, it probably makes the most sense for her anyways. I can't imagine her playing in the NCAA until she's 24, and I don't like the idea of someone coming in knowing they don't plan on graduating. That sounds too much like the men's side for my liking... :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
18-year-old basketball super promise Awak Kuier makes a surprise decision and rejects university basketball because of the WNBA dream - Towards Central European Professional Fields

Google translated from Finnish.

"In addition to his associates, Kuier has discussed plans for the future with Emma Meesseman , a Belgian chosen in the fall, as well as former WNBA league former Ann Wouters . The message from both was clear to Kuier.

- Their message to me was that it would be best if I went to Europe to play. They think the university is the right path for some players, but for me, the best option would be Europe, says Kuier about meeting with top players."

She's going to be an absolute beast in the W.
I would like to understand what Emma Meesseman and Ann Wouters were thinking when they gave this advice. In what circumstances would they recommend the college alternative vs. the European pro alternative? I suppose if the player's goal is to get to the WNBA in the shortest possible time and at the youngest age, then playing pro in Europe is the way to go.

Maybe they think Ms. Kuier is so far along in her development that she would not need the refinement and skill development that would be available in a top college program. But I wonder if that is really true. Making a WNBA team and then sitting on the bench is not as satisfying to most players (or so I would think) as playing for a potential National Championship team. If she had talked to Maya or Stewie, they would have told her that the public attention that they received in college greatly exceeds what they have experienced in the WNBA, despite winning WNBA championships.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I would like to understand what Emma Meesseman and Ann Wouters were thinking when they gave this advice. In what circumstances would they recommend the college alternative vs. the European pro alternative? I suppose if the player's goal is to get to the WNBA in the shortest possible time and at the youngest age, then playing pro in Europe is the way to go.

Maybe they think Ms. Kuier is so far along in her development that she would not need the refinement and skill development that would be available in a top college program. But I wonder if that is really true. Making a WNBA team and then sitting on the bench is not as satisfying to most players (or so I would think) than playing for a potential National Championship team. If she had talked to Maya or Stewie, they would have told her that the public attention that they received in college greatly exceeds what they have experienced in the WNBA, despite winning WNBA championships.

They were thinking that it's a path that worked well for them and, likely, that Kuier is further along in her development than both of them were when they chose to go pro instead of going to college. With the bad press the NCAA is getting right now with the whole name and likeness business, coupled with the transfer mess, I can't really say I blame her for taking her talents elsewhere.

She'll be a star regardless.

Not to mention, if she gets hurt, she'll still be able to go to university for free in Finland.

Reaction Score
Best wish to her success in Euro pro. Will love to see her in WNBA after 2 years ...

Reaction Score
...If she had talked to Maya or Stewie, they would have told her that the public attention that they received in college greatly exceeds what they have experienced in the WNBA, despite winning WNBA championships.
And I'm sure she doesn't need Meesseman and Wouters to tell her that the money she can make in Europe greatly exceeds what she will earn in the WNBA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Based on what little I've seen of her, she's very pro ready. And by going pro now, not only will she start making good money and become financially independent, but she'll be WNBA draft-eligible in 2021 rather than 2023. Frankly I would've been shocked if she'd chosen the U.S. college route. Did anyone expect Liz Cambage to come play NCAA ball when she was 18?

Reaction Score

Maybe they think Ms. Kuier is so far along in her development that she would not need the refinement and skill development that would be available in a top college program. But I wonder if that is really true. Making a WNBA team and then sitting on the bench is not as satisfying to most players (or so I would think) as playing for a potential National Championship team. If she had talked to Maya or Stewie, they would have told her that the public attention that they received in college greatly exceeds what they have experienced in the WNBA, despite winning WNBA championships.
Bad advice. In fact, total irresponsible advice. Stinks. Shameful. Basketball, as a career, is open only to a few, and even to those who make it, their careers are short, sometimes from injury. A college education, on the other hand, is for life.

Reaction Score
I had been wondering if something was up after she did not play in a recent game. This may mean she might even sign with a team elsewhere in Europe this season.

Based on what little I've seen of her, she's very pro ready. And by going pro now, not only will she start making good money and become financially independent, but she'll be WNBA draft-eligible in 2021 rather than 2023. Frankly I would've been shocked if she'd chosen the U.S. college route. Did anyone expect Liz Cambage to come play NCAA ball when she was 18?

Assuming a new CBA does not change any rules, the 2021 international class is shaping up to be one of the deepest ever. I think everyone would like to see her play at a higher club level before then and now it sounds like it will happen. I kind of wanted to see what would happen though if she was eligible for the draft and then enrolled in college after being picked.

Bad advice. In fact, total irresponsible advice. Stinks. Shameful. Basketball, as a career, is open only to a few, and even to those who make it, their careers are short, sometimes from injury. A college education, on the other hand, is for life.

Lots of women around the world who are far less talented than Kuier have had long and prosperous basketball careers. Also, unless your goal is specifically to live in the United States, college virtually everywhere else in the world is significantly cheaper than it is here. Plenty of players overseas get their degrees while playing and can use that to transition later in life if they want.

Reaction Score

No sure what personal motivators she has, but have not seen too many high school women starting in the European pro leagues and eventually develop enough for WNBA. The few I am aware of were relative unknowns and lower draft choices (i.e. less money). If you listen to virtually all the UConn alumni in the pros, they comment that their development and success was based on much more than just basketball.

Reaction Score
I had been wondering if something was up after she did not play in a recent game. This may mean she might even sign with a team elsewhere in Europe this season.

Assuming a new CBA does not change any rules, the 2021 international class is shaping up to be one of the deepest ever. I think everyone would like to see her play at a higher club level before then and now it sounds like it will happen. I kind of wanted to see what would happen though if she was eligible for the draft and then enrolled in college after being picked.

Lots of women around the world who are far less talented than Kuier have had long and prosperous basketball careers. Also, unless your goal is specifically to live in the United States, college virtually everywhere else in the world is significantly cheaper than it is here. Plenty of players overseas get their degrees while playing and can use that to transition later in life if they want.

But this way she might avoid getting injured after four years and never earning what she could have as a top professional basketball player. And by the time she would have graduated and begun in the WNBA that summer, she would have collected, arguably, about $400,000 or more. And done so without the risk of playing for free when she's injured.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
While I am all for college, college isnt for everybody. There are many that start a trade, or a business without any college education and do very well. If she is as good as they say she is why risk the chance of loosing out on all that money with an injury? If the pros are offering her alot of money let her take it and she can always go back to college later.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was great advice. WNBA career is perfectly compatible with getting a college degree.

Reaction Score
No sure what personal motivators she has, but have not seen too many high school women starting in the European pro leagues and eventually develop enough for WNBA. The few I am aware of were relative unknowns and lower draft choices (i.e. less money). If you listen to virtually all the UConn alumni in the pros, they comment that their development and success was based on much more than just basketball.

Of course, a great number of European women don't need to come to America to play for the WNBA and that league's crappy pay. Better to save their bodies, extend their careers, and only pay for the Big Bucks in Europe, Russia, and Turkey.

Belgian star Emma Meeseman blew off the WNBA in favor of prepping for the Belgian national team. And other players seem to regularly take off a season or two to either rest up or do something else with their lives.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course, a great number of European women don't need to come to America to play for the WNBA and that league's crappy pay. Better to save their bodies, extend their careers, and only pay for the Big Bucks in Europe, Russia, and Turkey.

Belgian star Emma Meeseman blew off the WNBA in favor of prepping for the Belgian national team. And other players seem to regularly take off a season or two to either rest or do something else with their lives.
I don't know how someone can be so consistently misinformed.
1576688497787.png

Reaction Score
Kuier plays in Finland. She's widely seen as the best prospect in the world.

It seemed from the article that she's in the United States, but would return (?) to Finland/Europe to play ball.

Do I have that wrong?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It seemed from the article that she's in the United States, but would return (?) to Finland/Europe to play ball.

Do I have that wrong?

She's always been in Finland. Goes to school there, plays for Helmi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom