Avon Old Farms | The Boneyard

Avon Old Farms

Reaction Score
I had some free time this Saturday afternoon, so I attended the Avon Farms football game. Much to my surprise I saw Paul Pasqualoni on the sideline coaching the Avon Old Farm players. I thought he was still in the NFL as a position coach. It was interesting to see him at this level coaching prep school athletes.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Believe it or not he is 75 now! Great retirement gig, but also shows how committed he is to coaching and to football.

Dude could be kicking his feet up on any beach - but he’s still on the sidelines coaching ‘em up. Speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
I had some free time this Saturday afternoon, so I attended the Avon Farms football game. Much to my surprise I saw Paul Pasqualoni on the sideline coaching the Avon Farm players. I thought he was still in the NFL as a position coach. It was interesting to see him at this level coaching prep school athletes.
Ummm, does ether excite you? The man is a walking keg of ether so at best he is a yawn at worst a nightmare I still struggle to get over!

Reaction Score
Don’t denigrate a man who devoted his life to kids and sport. His net contributions are in the positive ledger. Unfortunately he didn’t do much for UConn FB.
yeah, look, I thought he was a massive step backwards for a UConn program that was too timid to do anything useful at the time but that doesn't mean he didn't care or didn't want to do good. Everything said about Paul P I've seen here is that he's a strong and active contributor.

edit: to the community

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t denigrate a man who devoted his life to kids and sport. His net contributions are in the positive ledger. Unfortunately he didn’t do much for UConn FB.

He was effectively just a caretaker. The college game had passed him by years ago at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
His recruiting was better than all of Diaco and Edsall 2.0. PP recruits well, his problem was exactly the same as Ollie. He ran a loose ship that didn't translate to development. That and GDL

Maybe on paper. He might be a good Xs and Os guy but he was not a recruiter.

He got fired from Syracuse in part because he was a lazy recruiter. His lackadaisical efforts at Syracuse were covered by Bruce Feldman in the book Meat Market. Ed Orgeron basically said that he was behind the times and failed to keep up.

Reaction Score
yeah, look, I thought he was a massive step backwards for a UConn program that was too timid to do anything useful at the time but that doesn't mean he didn't care or didn't want to do good. Everything said about Paul P I've seen here is that he's a strong and active contributor.

edit: to the community
Correct, Coach Pasqualoni was a symptom of the problem, he did not hire himself! The “Hirers” are the ones who sent this program and Athletic Department into a near death spiral. We are not out of the woods yet, 2 National Hoops Champs notwithstanding

Reaction Score

He got fired from Syracuse in part because he was a lazy recruiter. His lackadaisical efforts at Syracuse were covered by Bruce Feldman in the book Meat Market. Ed Orgeron basically said that he was behind the times and failed to keep up.
Ok. I can get behind that statement.

Reaction Score
Ok. I can get behind that statement.
I can't... I watched when he coached Cuse. I watched his lethargy and his lost look on their sidelines. When he came to UConn it was worse. I watched when a player with his head down and coach P. bumped into each other. We were losing by only 7 but the coach looked lost and the player dis-spirited. I recall fans cheering for him to be our coach and was like - oh my God no! He was a disaster and unfortunately not the worst disaster we faced with our coaching hires. But just because he was unfortunately not the worst... doesn't mean I am glad he came here. I recall the H.S. coaches ecstatic at the hire. I recall how some fans were so happy that he was going to keep local talent from leaving to other programs... How did that work out??? so yea, as a coach I disliked him - why - his results at the programs I watched. I laughed when we played Cuse and he was coaching and then I felt cursed when he came here.

Reaction Score
I can't... I watched when he coached Cuse. I watched his lethargy and his lost look on their sidelines. When he came to UConn it was worse. I watched when a player with his head down and coach P. bumped into each other. We were losing by only 7 but the coach looked lost and the player dis-spirited. I recall fans cheering for him to be our coach and was like - oh my God no! He was a disaster and unfortunately not the worst disaster we faced with our coaching hires. But just because he was unfortunately not the worst... doesn't mean I am glad he came here. I recall the H.S. coaches ecstatic at the hire. I recall how some fans were so happy that he was going to keep local talent from leaving to other programs... How did that work out??? so yea, as a coach I disliked him - why - his results at the programs I watched. I laughed when we played Cuse and he was coaching and then I felt cursed when he came here.
I'd rather make the HS coaches happy by being in reasonably frequent contact and trying to do reasonable things for them rather than having somebody who is "part of the community". We saw it a week or two ago. They want uconn to validate their goal to live vicariously through their players. I get it as somebody who is slowly passing middle age still wanting to be something for once in my life but that's not on UConn to provide for the CT HS coaches.

Reaction Score
Correct, Coach Pasqualoni was a symptom of the problem, he did not hire himself! The “Hirers” are the ones who sent this program and Athletic Department into a near death spiral. We are not out of the woods yet, 2 National Hoops Champs notwithstanding
He wasted the most football talent of any UConn coach in last 50 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

How he performed at UConn and the decisions he made are enough reasons for me to sleep comfortably after denigrating PP.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Coach PP was a much better defensive coach in the NFL than in college after Syracuse. His biggest mistake was trusting DeLeone was his downfall

Reaction Score
I had some free time this Saturday afternoon, so I attended the Avon Farms football game. Much to my surprise I saw Paul Pasqualoni on the sideline coaching the Avon Old Farm players. I thought he was still in the NFL as a position coach. It was interesting to see him at this level coaching prep school athletes.
Paul is a good man and a terrific coach of the sport. Good for him.

Reaction Score
He wasted the most football talent of any UConn coach in last 50 years.
Had a lot of talent. But that first year, had no qb, and the second year, OL collapsed. Just a rough go of it.

Should have been better, 8-4 year one and probably 7-5 and 8-4 year 2 as well.

Just didn’t deliver as little things beat them.

The firing of him after four games, though, looking back, is what destroyed the program. Should have kept him for the year imo. By the time diaco came in, the house crumbled and diaco thought he had to blow the entire thing up.

Reaction Score

Everywhere Ed Orgeron coached went on probation. lol.

I think Paul didn’t run as tight a ship as need be. He expected the players to be more mature, and the football game was his goal, not necessarily all the other stuff.

He was more nfl and should have stayed there. Ut hard to turn down your own gig.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom