Autumn Chassion | The Boneyard

Autumn Chassion

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a great article. Looks like it was written a bit ago because they talked about her stats thru UCONN's first 8 games, and we've now played 20. Still, it's always great to read something about UCONN players who don't get much press.

I know some feel like she, or Mir, should get more PT when UCONN is up big, but we are almost at the end of the season. The time for "doling out PT" is at an end. Anna most likely is not coming back, and even if she does, I hardly think she will be useful. So we have Williams, ONO, Evina, Aubrey, Paige, Nika and Liya - a core group of 7 - and that's what we will ride thru the end of the year.

Having said that I am still glad that in a blowout like against Creighton, Geno found time for Poff, Mir, and Piath. I do sort of wonder - if he finds time for them, why not find a few minutes for Autumn? Maybe she's too busy on clipboard duty?!! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a great article. Looks like it was written a bit ago because they talked about her stats thru UCONN's first 8 games, and we've now played 20. Still, it's always great to read something about UCONN players who don't get much press.

I know some feel like she, or Mir, should get more PT when UCONN is up big, but we are almost at the end of the season. The time for "doling out PT" is at an end. Anna most likely is not coming back, and even if she does, I hardly think she will be useful. So we have Williams, ONO, Evina, Aubrey, Paige, Nika and Liya - a core group of 7 - and that's what we will ride thru the end of the year.

Having said that I am still glad that in a blowout like against Creighton, Geno found time for Poff, Mir, and Piath. I do sort of wonder - if he finds time for them, why not find a few minutes for Autumn? Maybe she's too busy on clipboard duty?!! ;)
He is obviously giving Nika as many minutes as possible, to make up for her early game injuries. With 10 scholarship players, it is hard to justify taking minutes away from any of them.

Reaction Score
Geno can be a "DORK" at times. That's just him. O well till the next time. I had a chance to meet and talk with coach Elliott years ago when she was coaching at Cincy In FREEPORT bahamas and we never discussed BB only reliving the good olde day's at Connecicut she is a great person we spent like 20 minutes talking in the stands.

Reaction Score

I read the earlier article on Autumn, so it is great to see this new one. Class valedictorian is a big deal. She is bound for success. It is inconceivable that she will be asked back as a walk-on next year, unless she has an all american, MVP summer for some USA national team. Seriously, I would love her back but how can that happen? No one is going to graduate ( no seniors ) and I see no one leaving early for the WNBA. So she will have a new recruiting class to deal with, which will put her so deep on the bench there won't be any oxygen. If she is invited back, and survives wearing the UCONN colors for four seasons...and gets to be in the bus, at the training table, and on the bench for a NCAA championship ( or two ), then maybe her dream is fulfilled. She just seems charming, resilient and special in a lot of ways. I think it serves UCONN well that they have welcomed her. She will be beloved. Really, she already is.

Reaction Score
I read the earlier article on Autumn, so it is great to see this new one. Class valedictorian is a big deal. She is bound for success. It is inconceivable that she will be asked back as a walk-on next year, unless she has an all american, MVP summer for some USA national team. Seriously, I would love her back but how can that happen? No one is going to graduate ( no seniors ) and I see no one leaving early for the WNBA. So she will have a new recruiting class to deal with, which will put her so deep on the bench there won't be any oxygen. If she is invited back, and survives wearing the UCONN colors for four seasons...and gets to be in the bus, at the training table, and on the bench for a NCAA championship ( or two ), then maybe her dream is fulfilled. She just seems charming, resilient and special in a lot of ways. I think it serves UCONN well that they have welcomed her. She will be beloved. Really, she already is.

Do you really think Geno wouldn't take her back?? Besides, I'm pretty sure she knew what she was getting herself into when walking on. Geno doesn't sugar coat anything.

Reaction Score
He is obviously giving Nika as many minutes as possible, to make up for her early game injuries. With 10 scholarship players, it is hard to justify taking minutes away from any of them.
I agree with you on giving Nika minutes. I also feel he knows what he is going into the dance with and he getting the players in-game shape to play big minutes. We have the bigs this year to match up and we have the guards if we play well it could be a fun run.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Geno wouldn't take her back?? Besides, I'm pretty sure she knew what she was getting herself into when walking on. Geno doesn't sugar coat anything.
I am in a quandary. Certainly, coach would invite her back based upon character, work ethic, great teammate, love for UCONN...all of those things. But, as a practical matter, Autumn ..... I know she is good enough to play for several D-1 schools .....will be buried beyond recognition by next year's class, the return of Anna, the emergence of Saylor, etc....unless she becomes so talented that she forces her way onto the team...". Which, of course, would become the sports story of the year. But If the factor of "potential playing time" must be considered, then there is a risk However, Geno can do anything. So, yes, I'm sure she will be invited back. My problem is; it is a bit like having a lifelong passion to climb Everest. But you remain satisfied to hang out at base camp for a few weeks.

Reaction Score
AUTUMN SCHOLARSHIP????? This seems to be one great kid. Very bright and determined. Of course I see the team overloaded next year, but there should be a place for her...she is special!!
She cannot be a grad asst, or towel girl...just give her a chair and and she will help our team...a bright light & hopefully a great MD. It appears that the coaching staff and team loves her. Unfortunately their is a limit on athletic scholarships....but I have a feeling that they will try find a way to get some type of scholarship...valedictorian in high school is a big deal and she is so cute It appears that her family might have the means to take care of her financially. She adds much to the team, although she may not play much. Look at all the work she goes thru, like practices, etc. I think it was CW who said that she is looked at as a regular player, forget the walkin title. Go Autumn!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

I have noticed the disappointed look on Autumn's face when a game is winding down, or is over; and she has not gotten any playing time. Give her 1 minute, or even 30 seconds! Would that little bit take away "Valuable playing time for the players who need it?"
I just don't get it, especially when they run up the score in some games.

Reaction Score
I have noticed the disappointed look on Autumn's face when a game is winding down, or is over; and she has not gotten any playing time. Give her 1 minute, or even 30 seconds! Would that little bit take away "Valuable playing time for the players who need it?"
My feelings all season. I don't buy the "valuable minutes" in the last 2 minutes or so in a blowout. The other team has conceded and thrown in all their subs. Nobody's learning nothin' other than working up a lather and trying to throw up shots!!

Reaction Score
Geno never runs up the score. When a game is decided, the team never presses, slows down and runs half court offense.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Geno can't give her the last minute or two of a game, yet Paige is in there 35 a night despite injury when they are killing teams in the league. Good luck to this talented young lady where ever she ends up next season.

Reaction Score
No offense... the take away I have with this is that someone actually still reads the Register Citizen.... Thought that was only good for lining bird cages....

Reaction Score
Having said that I am still glad that in a blowout like against Creighton, Geno found time for Poff, Mir, and Piath. I do sort of wonder - if he finds time for them, why not find a few minutes for Autumn? Maybe she's too busy on clipboard duty?!!
I see Autumn as our "Rudy". The little train that could type. I think with her determination she will be a walk on here as long as the position is available. That and I hope she reaches scolly status and is rewarded.

Geno is simply Geno and has a method to his madness that is 11 NC's and not liberal with PT. Having said that and seen his recent practice entertainment costume for the team in practice he should do the same for the fans. A couple of minutes of Autumn might also keep the casuals tuned in waiting for the end in a blowout.

Maybe a massive reach out to The UConn School of Engineering? Come up with a way to get our cardboard cut outs to chant Autumn, Autumn, Autumn with two minutes to go? :D

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Geno never runs up the score. When a game is decided, the team never presses, slows down and runs half court offense.
OK, I'll say: "When a game is decided."
--they have won 3 games by over 40 points
--8 games by over 30 points
--4 games by over 20 points

Reaction Score
Saw a nice article in the Register Citizen. I don't know if it's been shown before, but here's the link!

Chassion chased her dream to be walk-on - RegisterCitizen, 2/26/2021
She ,obviously ,is a lovely young woman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My feelings all season. I don't buy the "valuable minutes" in the last 2 minutes or so in a blowout. The other team has conceded and thrown in all their subs. Nobody's learning nothin' other than working up a lather and trying to throw up shots!!
In fairness, a good number of teams do NOT put in their subs at the end of the game. It's one reason why 4th Q's usually look so rough on the box score for UCONN games. The other team leaves their starters in against Piath, Mir, Saylor, and then maybe Liya and NIka.

However, for the teams who do pull their starters, I agree - put in all our subs including Autumn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno has Saylor, Mir, and Piath who he needs to give 'mop up' minutes to and he wants those minutes to have some structure and not just be schoolyard junk. Those three players need to learn the system on offense and defense so if he is desperate he can trust them to play a few meaningful minutes. That means he needs at least a couple of the primary players on the floor to help keep the organization. For an example:

Last game Mir actually got in earlier than has happened in a long time and the team missed a number of defensive assignments during her first few minutes where switches were slow or non-existent and Creighton players were wide open for easy shots. At the other end the offensive flow also suffered. That is a great learning and teaching sequence for Mir and would be lost if all the starters were sitting.

In addition he has Edwards and Muhl and Griffin who need as many minutes as he can give them to further their learning. The reality is Autumn is the least of his concerns. Getting to dribble the ball for 25 seconds as the clock winds to zero isn't really a plus or a minus for her - what happens in practice is her 'glory time'.

With a more upper class team and a normal 27-29 game season maybe she would see more minutes, but the whole team is playing about 1200 fewer regular season minutes this year than normal years - that is a huge loss in experience and preparation for the post season - the equivalent of 3 weeks of games.

As for coming back - the only person who will decide that is Autumn herself - as long as she is committed, the team will welcome her back. And she knows that it will be a continuation of what this year has been like so she has all the information to make her informed decision. Uconn has had a number of walk on and scholarship players who rarely saw the floor and most of whom loved every minute of the experience.

Reaction Score
Yes, I wish nothing but the best for her. Great team player, willing to do whatever!!! I remember the game when Geno gave her the clipboard and told her to coach, she actually sat down and was about coach. She just loves being on this team. Thank You Autumn, for all you do behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
12 on the squad now; 15 next season if E stays and there are no transfers.

With Megan's exit and the pandemic uncertainty last summer and fall, Geno probably felt that Autumn at least deserved an invite and she made the squad. If 3-4 players had been ineligible for a specific game due to contact tracing, then Autumn could have been one of 8 or 9 players to suit up, assuming no Anna-like injuries. Next fall, if the pandemic is under control with vaccines, Autumn might not receive an invite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom