Austin Statesman: Travis Mays - Longhorns' "home run hire" | The Boneyard

Austin Statesman: Travis Mays - Longhorns' "home run hire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
And while he has never worked with Geno Auriemma, he spent two days last summer with the Connecticut Hall of Famer, sitting in on staff meetings and heeding Auriemma's penchant for focusing his recruiting on scorers, no matter what position.

LINK

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Austin American-Statesman is just above Bleacher Report in terms of credibility.

Very weird that they make a point of trolling the football program but are publishing multiple puff pieces about the new WBB regime. Just an odd agenda.

I do wish Mays luck and success though. He's good peeps.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Austin American-Statesman is just above Bleacher Report in terms of credibility.

Very weird that they make a point of trolling the football program but are publishing multiple puff pieces about the new WBB regime. Just an odd agenda.

I do wish Mays luck and success though. He's good peeps.

I disagree. The Austin American Statesman is a well established, informative newspaper. There is no comparison between them and Bleacher Report.

And Mays is a great hire for UT. GG would have been well advised to have done the same. She screwed the pooch on that one.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I disagree. The Austin American Statesman is a well established, informative newspaper. There is no comparison between them and Bleacher Report.

And Mays is a great hire for UT. GG would have been well advised to have done the same. She screwed the pooch on that one.
It is a rag. And their sports section sucks. Kirk Bohls in particular is an embarrassment to his profession, and Suzanne Haliburton isn't much better.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It is a rag. And their sports section sucks. Kirk Bohls in particular is an embarrassment to his profession, and Suzanne Haliburton isn't much better.
What exactly is wrong with the article? If the facts presented are correct, it appears Mays is a very good hire. And that appears to be a good decision by the HC you have been criticizing since she was hired.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What exactly is wrong with the article? If the facts presented are correct, it appears Mays is a very good hire. And that appears to be a good decision by the HC you have been criticizing since she was hired.
Why is the guy/paper who looks for reasons to bash the football program kissing the WBB program's ass?

What about the hire of an AAU coach with close ties to Brianna Turner? Was that a good hire, too? Despite the money at stake and general corruption of CFB, Mack Brown's never done anything like that, and yet Kirk Bohls has to clean his shorts every time a football player gets arrested. He couldn't wait to vote for Reggie Bush for the Heisman over Vince Young and then write a column bragging about it.

Nothing wrong with saying Travis Mays is a good hire. A lot of things wrong with how the AAS goes about the business of covering the local university's athletic programs.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Why is the guy/paper who looks for reasons to bash the football program kissing the WBB program's ass?

What about the hire of an AAU coach with close ties to Brianna Turner? Was that a good hire, too? Despite the money at stake and general corruption of CFB, Mack Brown's never done anything like that, and yet Kirk Bohls has to clean his shorts every time a football player gets arrested. He couldn't wait to vote for Reggie Bush for the Heisman over Vince Young and then write a column bragging about it.

Nothing wrong with saying Travis Mays is a good hire. A lot of things wrong with how the AAS goes about the business of covering the local university's athletic programs.
OK, so nothing wrong with the article, right?. I really don't care about any of UT's athletic programs other than WCBB.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And for the record, hiring a good assistant doesn't mean that Michigan, Illinois and Auburn didn't do a better job filling their open coaching spots.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Hiring a coach with close ties to recruits is not a problem for me. Hiring Aston was specifically to hire someone who could recruit Texas. Aston has a lot of contacts in Texas and hiring Washington was just an extension of those contacts. Washington will be great for recruiting as a whole so I don't think that hiring him was only to increase the chances of landing Turner. It's much bigger than that.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
And for the record, hiring a good assistant doesn't mean that Michigan, Illinois and Auburn didn't do a better job filling their open coaching spots.
That may be true on paper, but I'd rather wait a few years before pronouncing who made good hires and who did not. I seem to recall that the decision to hire GG, on paper, was widely thought to be very good.

And I think Mays was hired as Associate HC, not just an assistant.

Reaction Score
Well, nobody else seems to be unfamiliar with it, so I guess I'll have to ask for myself - just where did Mays spend 2 days with Geno last summer, "sitting in on staff meetings?"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
normally i agree with you but have to disagree a little bit. Duke lost 2 amazing assistants who were also terrific recruiters - Sam Williams (L'ville) in May 2011, and Tricia Stafford-Odom (UNC) in August, 2011.

It's my opinion that kids will generally go to a school more because they want to play for the HC and less because of the assistants, but Williams and Odom are very aggressive and talented recruiters and i'd attribute UNC's huge 2013 class to Odom more than Hatchell.

so my point is, depending on how the HC does their recruiting, a really talented assistant can be every bit as effective as a new HC hire. just ask Warlick who lost out on 3 of her 6 "must get" recruits from 2013.

Williams and Odom are both very much in the mix for Russell, and L'ville is also in hot pursuit of Greenwell. it will be interesting to see if the UNC or L'ville assistants can help deliver those kids for their respective HC's...

Reaction Score
And while he has never worked with Geno Auriemma, he spent two days last summer with the Connecticut Hall of Famer, sitting in on staff meetings and heeding Auriemma's penchant for focusing his recruiting on scorers, no matter what position.

LINK

Doesn't matter. Their head coach still may or may not be a lesbian.

#sarcasm

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, nobody else seems to be unfamiliar with it, so I guess I'll have to ask for myself - just where did Mays spend 2 days with Geno last summer, "sitting in on staff meetings?"
Didn't Geno participate in some sort of training thing for coaches through the WBCA last summer? I seem to recall that Geno supported some training sessions for coaches both financially and through participation in the events.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Didn't Geno participate in some sort of training thing for coaches through the WBCA last summer? I seem to recall that Geno supported some training sessions for coaches both financially and through participation in the events.
Yes, I believe he seeded a significantly large amount for the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom