Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
unfortunately Gabby Williams is one of a kind..........very few players have her athleticism, skill set and intensity.........if she had the outside game she has now when she was at UConn they'd likely have earned another championship...........that said a certain Ms. Patterson seems to have some of these same attributes in an even bigger package.....is it possible she turns into a Gabby or Nalyssa Smith like player?........we can only hope........
Hoping for Gabby, though footspeed may not come close, because of the elevation of her jumps. Still, longer legs cover more ground, so in the end could cover as much ground as Gabby did over the same few seconds.

If Gabby's current outside game was available then (impossible after having missed her last two years of HS, of course), I daresay they would have won 2 more NCs.......

Reaction Score
So were Rebecca, DT, Maya, Stewie & Paige. But my original comment was about effective players in the low post on offense, and imo Tuck & Pheesa were among the very best to play at UConn.
I guess we agree to disagree, Tuck and Phees were very good players, but Tina and Kara dominated the post. They are both considered top ten UCONN players and were the offensive focus of their teams, even when having Maya and Rebecca as teammates. Tina graduated as the top scorer and rebounder in UCONN history.

Reaction Score
For someone who quotes Geno a lot, you seem to have forgotten that when Class 2021 of Azzi & Company, Geno used the word positionless for the quartet. And, there was a lot of chatter about interchangeability and positionless as the Gabby/Kia/Katie/Napheesa team continued to extend the winning streak to the FF at 111 amidst increasing pressure that brought them.

Did you ever wonder what Geno meant by positionless when he said that about the quartet? It couldn't possibly be Amari playing guard? Or, Azzi playing C or PF. Or, both Caroline and Saylor capable of playing C or PG, especially for extended minutes. If you look at them, the only possible interpretation of his use of the word? All of them can play more than one position, realistically 2 for Amari and at least two each for the others but not more than three. And from what I have personally seen at UConn, that takes you back to the 2001-2002 team starting five in terms of flexibility and interchangeability for 2 or more positions for a good example.

As for Ayanna, there are videos where she is shown to hit 3 pointers - I have seen them, not just read about them. The action on her shot is "soft" going through the basket, likely because of the arc of its trajectory. Most of the scouting reports comments on her 3 point range can be distilled into one word: improving, likely because she plays around the rim in HS for her team - the key to their winning a lot. I have not suggested she is a finished product re: that skill but I understand Geno's objective in his program has always been to develop the player as completely as they are equipped to do - sometimes in ways the players themselves were unaware they were capable of. So, why slot her into a position (4) and declare her to be a poor shooter from the start? How he deploys them after exploring all possibilities in practice wherein he gives them development opportunities is, of course, up to him.....whoever that player may be, Paige (and DT in the olden days) included. More options instead of fewer, better for the team to cope with circumstances in games and during the season.

Positionless......literal.....perhaps, next etymological, in order to make a point?
Do you really think he meant positionless in defining freshmen for a player who doesn't shoot the ball well from the outside and who is going to score mostly from the inside or at the FT line and/or isn’t a guard able to set others up from the perimeter (I ask this question in which my interpretation of your assessment of AP as a shooter for a freshman is wrong which I suspect will show during the season. That's the reason I phrased the question as I did. I'm assuming she is not the shooter you say.)? That was point with Azzi as an example of not being a center - it's not what she is. I just don't agree with your interpretation of what Geno meant by positionless.

However, if you want to go down the "positionless" path - then so be it. However, imo a better word you and I have used since we both started watching basketball, the word is "versatile." And if Patterson plays the 4 and 5 I ask you - "is she now considered "positionless"" by your definition? If that is your definition then there you go-- by your definition or your interpretation of what Geno means of "positionless" - then imo she'll play both imo and so now you can call her “positionless” if you want. . However, imo that means that she is "versatile" enough to play 4/5 but not "positionless." But her strong position would be PF.

And again I did provide you a quote in which I paraphrased what Geno said especially for frosh "Do what you do best." Or one I easily googled - as Geno has said "be the best version of yourself." Neither of these things are what Patterson is as a shooter. The best version of herself and doing what she does bets will be her work inside. So, this is the 2nd time you have led with "For someone who quotes Geno" - well--- I have. SO when you start out with that- I just want to reiterate I am quoting him and in the context I believe he means imo.

For next year, assume they get to FF and lose either at FF or Finals. I just want you to picture that for talking purposes let's say what I said turns out to be true, and that Geno has Patterson at end of season as a core 4/5 without a deep bench. Assume Patterson didn't play a lot of minutes at the sf and didn't distinguish herself from there. DO you think there will be "chatter" on here that Geno just didn't give AP the time at SF and as a result misused her? As a general answer "Yes" or "No." Not "possibly" or "It depends" It's not right or wrong answer. Just as your best guess-estimate? What do you think? Nothing I'm holding to you. Just a wild guess- "Yes" or "No." I'd even settle for "more than likely" or "less than likely."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somewhere I posted I was concerned that Brady's low post moves could be a bit slow. I didn’t get a chance to see much of her games and wasn’t sure of the competition. Last night I saw her make a beauty quick move. Completely under control, soft touch, quick move; she looks like she can make that move all day even vs bigger players. different but kind of smooth like Morgan Tuck. Was very optimistic about her outside game before now I feel better with her inside game too.

So now I'm split between her and Patterson next year,. Was always optimistic but more reluctant year 1 now I'm optimistic for both. Whether they are good enough to help UCONN win another title this upcoming year is another question that is unanswerable.

Reaction Score
I think most of you are underestimating how much a freshman can change from year 1 to year 2. They get a vast amount of knowledge and their strength, the strength they will need, will be doubled. From Olivias first year to her second was as different as night and day. I think Amari's will be too. But we will just have to see.

sun

Reaction Score
Oregon State's 3rd year sophomore & 2nd leading scorer 6'4" Taylor Jones was All-PAC 12 and a leading shot blocker, ended up having shoulder surgery in Feb. due to injury.
She's in the transfer portal.
She was a 5 star recruit ranked as high as #16 coming out of her Texas high school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Injuries are not an intangible they are a reality of the game. When both teams were at full strength early in the season SC was still the dominat team. SC also beat Stanford earlier this season. There is a significant gap between SC and UCONN. I really don't care about the other teams. Lamenting the injuries UCONN had in this game or on the season does nothing to close the gap. A new/different strategy + improved (new?) players is now a necessity- at least that's what I got out of reading this article.
The point is if Boston got injured it would not be the same team….you are forgetting we beat them the year before….the difference in the Championship game was that their guards got off to a fast start….the rest of the game was evenly played….yes they are better but they are not unbeatable….let us visit this next year….yes injuries are intangibles for you do not know what happens from one day to another….ie….the way Paige got injured.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The point is if Boston got injured it would not be the same team….you are forgetting we beat them the year before….the difference in the Championship game was that their guards got off to a fast start….the rest of the game was evenly played….yes they are better but they are not unbeatable….let us visit this next year….yes injuries are intangibles for you do not know what happens from one day to another….ie….the way Paige got injured.
I'm not forgetting anything. What was the outcome of the game when the two teams played earlier in the season? South Carolina won the 3rd and 4th quarter of the championship game so if you consider that even I wouldn't agree. If you want to keep thinking UCONN was "close" in either of the games played this season I don't know what to tell you because they weren't.

Reaction Score
I see the game(s) different than you so understood we are never going to agree.
Let us visit this again next year….G-D willing we are both here. G-D BLESS
HAPPY PESACH and HAPPY EASTER.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's see what happens in training camp and during the WNBA season. Liv will do her 'Crystal' thing I have no doubt, eh? Liv is by far the best rebounder, shot-blocker and defensive player of the five [NOT!] centers that you mentioned. Those astute GMs were waaay wrong about Crystal; they're wrong about Liv too!
:eek: The training camp rosters have been announced and Liv faces an uphill climb to even make the Sparks squad.
At the center position Liz Cambage is going to be the Sparks starter.
Behind Cambage the Sparks will have 3 centers in camp that were drafted higher than Liv.
Amanda Zahui B was the #2 player drafted in 2015.
Lauren Cox was the # 3 player drafted in 2020.
Chiney Ogwumike. was the overall #1 pick in 2014 WNBA draft.
I suppose you are going to tell me Liv is a better rebounder than all 4 of these centers and that the WNBA GM's was wrong about them also eh?

Reaction Score
:eek: The training camp rosters have been announced and Liv faces an uphill climb to even make the Sparks squad.
At the center position Liz Cambage is going to be the Sparks starter.
Behind Cambage the Sparks will have 3 centers in camp that were drafted higher than Liv.
Amanda Zahui B was the #2 player drafted in 2015.
Lauren Cox was the # 3 player drafted in 2020.
Chiney Ogwumike. was the overall #1 pick in 2014 WNBA draft.
I suppose you are going to tell me Liv is a better rebounder than all 4 of these centers and that the WNBA GM's was wrong about them also eh?

Yeah. Looking at that list. The only player I see Liv maybe bumping out is Lauren Cox and that really depends on so many other factors that may be out of Liv's control. All she can do is just give her all in training camp and let the chips fall where they may.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yeah. Looking at that list. The only player I see Liv maybe bumping out is Lauren Cox and that really depends on so many other factors that may be out of Liv's control. All she can do is just give her all in training camp and let the chips fall where they may.
When Baylor played UConn in Connecticut two or three years ago, Lauren Cox dominated Liv. As I recall, neither player could score on the other in the paint (Liv didn't even come close), but Cox made a few outside shots and clearly was the better player in that game.

However, Cox has not been good at all in the WNBA. Indiana (one of the bottom-dwelling teams) gave up on her and traded her to LA last year, despite drafting her very high. I'm not quite sure why she hasn't been successful, but I would guess that it has something to do with a lack of speed and stamina. Liv should have an advantage over her in those dimensions.

Chiney is a forward in the W, not a center, so she is not competing with Liv for minutes or for a roster spot.

Amanda Zahui B is probably better than Liv at this point, but she is also more expensive and has probably reached her ceiling. As is often the case with the salary cap, the Sparks may prefer to take a younger player at a lower salary and with greater growth potential (or they may not). Also, Zahui B is a better scorer than Liv (without doubt) and a stronger rebounder, but Liv may have an advantage is speed, stamina, defense, and passing skill.

UHF

Reaction Score
Let's see what happens in training camp and during the WNBA season. Liv will do her 'Crystal' thing I have no doubt, eh? Liv is by far the best rebounder, shot-blocker and defensive player of the five [NOT!] centers that you mentioned. Those astute GMs were waaay wrong about Crystal; they're wrong about Liv too!

Do you have links to your astute GM claims?

2020 mock draft on the WNBA website listed Crystal Dangerfield as potentional pick number 6, 8, 10.

Dangerfield won ROY. Then was a sub the following year. Must have been a reason. Eh?

Megan Walker was the player the so called experts got wrong. So far.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2020-mock-draft-roundup/

Reaction Score
Oregon State's 3rd year sophomore & 2nd leading scorer 6'4" Taylor Jones was All-PAC 12 and a leading shot blocker, ended up having shoulder surgery in Feb. due to injury.
She's in the transfer portal.
She was a 5 star recruit ranked as high as #16 coming out of her Texas high school.

I like her too. This is the first time I saw video, but I had previously looked up her stats, and overall they were very very good, and she is big enough to play C and not just be one of many contenders at PF.

Reaction Score
“If ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts, Oh what a party we’d have.”
Personally, I think Boston is a very, very good player-but not Superwoman.
Put a GD body on her and bang it out.
Make her work-don’t give in an inch.
Problem is UCONN goes against her with their tails between their legs.
Totally intimidated.
Gotta take it to her.
Make her work for every board.
BOX OUT!!<—>BOX OUT!!
Going into next season hoping she miss some time or that the freshman or Amari can reduce a 49-25 rebound deficit is crazy.
Need a new mindset underneath.
Need to up the PHYSICALITY.
Why does Morrow eat our lunch under the boards in the Big East?
Same reason.

sun

Reaction Score
I like her too. This is the first time I saw video, but I had previously looked up her stats, and overall they were very very good, and she is big enough to play C and not just be one of many contenders at PF.
Yes, I think that we need her talent.
She's got a wingspan that enhances her height, she's lively on the court, and doesn't seem afraid
to go toe to toe with other bigs.
I wish we had a fly on the wall in Geno's office to let us know if he's contacted her or not.
It will take athletic & experienced players to beat some of the powerhouse teams next year.
It's not going to happen if UConn only has a skeleton crew.
We need some depth that only extra special players can provide.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you have links to your astute GM claims?

2020 mock draft on the WNBA website listed Crystal Dangerfield as potentional pick number 6, 8, 10.

Dangerfield won ROY. Then was a sub the following year. Must have been a reason. Eh?

Megan Walker was the player the so called experts got wrong. So far.

WNBA Draft 2020: Mock Draft Roundup - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA
The astute GMs picked Crystal #16; against these odds, Crystal became rookie-of- the-year. ONO has all the goods; the sky's the limit for her, eh?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. It appears that Geno is weighing whether or not to play the hand he has next season as far as frontcourt players are concerned or to dip into the transfer portal for another Big.

Much of UConn’s ability to make it back to the FF next year, and perhaps overcome the enormous challenge posed by SC & Boston, comes down to the development of Amari DeBerry, a 6’5” post. Amari needs to improve her conditioning and agressiveness but she definitely has the skill set to become a dominant post player.

I am heartened to know that Amari plans to stay on campus over the summer to work with Andrea Hudy, as well as the coaches. She is most certainly the X-factor going into next season.
If he claimed DeBerry wasn't good enough to play garbage minutes last year now all of the sudden she is going to be ready to start and help this team win a national championship? Give me a break. He either made a mistake not playing her last year which i believe happened either way we need another strong post player. Hope he doesn't think we have enough without bringing in a couple of players. A post and a defensive guard. I haven't heard much about Uconn recruiting in the portal.

Reaction Score
It will take athletic & experienced players to beat some of the powerhouse teams next year.
We did beat NC State and Stanford - and even without Dorka. You make it sound like at the end of the seaoson that there were quite a few teams better than UCONN last year.

There was only one.

And I hate to burst anyone's "negative" bubble - but just a FYI to some fans: UCONN is going to be a top 3 team this upcoming year barring key injuries.

sun

Reaction Score
We did beat NC State and Stanford - and even without Dorka. You make it sound like at the end of the seaoson that there were quite a few teams better than UCONN last year.

There was only one.

And I hate to burst anyone's "negative" bubble - but just a FYI to some fans: UCONN is going to be a top 3 team this upcoming year barring key injuries.

My post was about next season, and we're losing 3 of this year's seniors plus 1 bench big.

Reaction Score
My post was about next season, and we're losing 3 of this year's seniors plus 1 bench big.
But why wouldn't you think we wouldn't beat other top teams right now (if season started)? We are "that" powerhouse team (top 3).

Reaction Score
Does it seem that if there was a transfer prospect Geno was interested in we would have heard by now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There was only one.
Is that were we want to be as a program though? Sorry I just can't cosign being 2nd best team in the country and being ranked in the top three next season.

Reaction Score
Is that were we want to be as a program though? Sorry I just can't cosign being 2nd best team in the country and being ranked in the top three next season.
But because you have unreasonable expectations that means the team didn't have a great year and being top 3 isn't terrific?

It's fine that you aren't going to co-sign but imo it doesn't make you right. It makes you unreasonable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom