Audio Interview w/Brenda Frese | The Boneyard

Audio Interview w/Brenda Frese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I particularly didn't like her comment about recruits who chose Maryland decided to take the harder path as opposed to those who choose UConn. I think that's the problem with some programs is that they don't realize that it's more than just talent, its hard work. UConn works as hard, if not harder, as any program...and the championships speak for itself. I have never been a MD fan, but I certainly hope UConn doesn't lose against MD. I can accept a loss to USC or even ND...but there is something about Frese that I don't like.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I wish I had started counting from the beginning of the interview - and, I surely am not going to subject myself to that again, just for precision's sake - but, I think (in a 7:25 minute interview), she says "you know" at least 3 dozen times, and perhaps 4 dozen times.

Tough to listen to. I believe CT takes the time to introduce their players to "media relations". I'd suggest Brenda take a similar approach with herself.

Reaction Score
re: if MD were to ever beat UConn
i agree - i couldnt imagine the lack of class that would ensue. she would be the type to go ballistic, over enthusiastic. yuck.

Reaction Score
Not only do her recruits take the "harder path," but her team took the most pictures of any team at the Final Four last year which means they were the team that most cherished their time at the Final Four which means... what?

Reaction Score
All I know about Brenda Frese comes from her interviews and televised lockroom antics and while her interviews are not particularly noteworthy, her lockeroom demeanor strikes me as a tad forced, bordering on phony.

I remember a few years back hearing one of her pre-game speeches and couldn't believe how much she plagerized Herb Brooks from his legendary 1980 pre-Soviet Union masterpiece.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Ya know, she really pisses me off. "Harder Path" c'mon? This is why Geno's teams outwork every other team in the nation. DI coaches going around saying crap like that. You keep thinking they have it easy and UConn will keep putting that double digit beating on you yearly. Get out of here with that mess.

Reaction Score
I particularly didn't like her comment about recruits who chose Maryland decided to take the harder path as opposed to those who choose UConn. I think that's the problem with some programs is that they don't realize that it's more than just talent, its hard work. UConn works as hard, if not harder, as any program...and the championships speak for itself. I have never been a MD fan, but I certainly hope UConn doesn't lose against MD. I can accept a loss to USC or even ND...but there is something about Frese that I don't like.
I think she didn't mean that they had to work harder at Maryland, but that the path to championships is more riskier, less probable at Maryland. If a standout HS star had to choose where she would have the most success UCONN is more probable path.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think she didn't mean that they had to work harder at Maryland, but that the path to championships is more riskier, less probable at Maryland. If a standout HS star had to choose where she would have the most success UCONN is more probable path.

That's likely what she means. If you play for a team not named UConn you're going to have a harder path to winning than if you play for the Huskies. Recent history bears that out. I doubt she is saying or believes that you don't have to work hard at UConn. Everyone pretty much knows that's not the case.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That's likely what she means. If you play for a team not named UConn you're going to have a harder path to winning than if you play for the Huskies. Recent history bears that out. I doubt she is saying or believes that you don't have to work hard at UConn. Everyone pretty much knows that's not the case.

I'd agree. In fact, many on this board talk about recruits having to make the decision to come to UConn and win a championship or DON'T come to UConn and DON'T win a Championship. It's a double-edged sword. You come to a program where you work your butt off, train under the best coach in women's basketball history and pretty much guarantee yourself a shot at a ring, or risk going to another program, working your butt off, train under a really good coach and maybe get a shot at elevating your program and challenging the top dog.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd agree. In fact, many on this board talk about recruits having to make the decision to come to UConn and win a championship or DON'T come to UConn and DON'T win a Championship. It's a double-edged sword. You come to a program where you work your butt off, train under the best coach in women's basketball history and pretty much guarantee yourself a shot at a ring, or risk going to another program, working your butt off, train under a really good coach and maybe get a shot at elevating your program and challenging the top dog.

The problem with the latter choice is that the value proposition of UConn materializes for just about everyone who comes, whereas someone like a Skylar Diggins did everything you just suggested but didn't get the "special Uconn stuff". Diggins could have had four NCs, certainly three, had she come to Storrs for college. She might have won NPOY. Granted it's an incredibly long shot, but she might even have been selected #1 ahead of BG in the WNBA draft. Instead, she chose to stay close to home, worked her butt off, trained under a really good coach, challenged the top dog and then some, and elevated the program to what is now five consecutive Final Fours...but she didn't get any of the things I suggested would have happened for her at UConn.

Conversely, if you look at national high school #1s like Shea, Diana, Maya, Kaleena, and Stewie, they saw the opportunity to do great things in Storrs and have done it all. And if you look at the nine NCs, the 16 Final fours (which every recruit since Kerry Bascom has experienced), the presence of UConn alumnae in the WNBA, the numbers of UConn alumnae representing Team USA, the women who have had coaching, broadcasting, and other successful careers, I mean it's obvious no other school can offer that.

Reaction Score
I wish I had started counting from the beginning of the interview - and, I surely am not going to subject myself to that again, just for precision's sake - but, I think (in a 7:25 minute interview), she says "you know" at least 3 dozen times, and perhaps 4 dozen times.

Tough to listen to. I believe CT takes the time to introduce their players to "media relations". I'd suggest Brenda take a similar approach with herself.

Ya know...after reading this post and the rest of this thread I'm glad I opted not to listen to the video. Maybe sometime soon.

Reaction Score
I just get sick of hearing "UConn's dominance is bad for the women's game". Jeez.

Reaction Score
As I stated elsewhere, when Brenda Frese comes on the screen I hold my wallet with both hands, she's too slimey!

Reaction Score
Although not a big fan of Coach Frese, I thought she was fine in the interview, the overuse of 'you know' notwithstanding. She never said UConn's dominance was bad for the game, that was the opinion of the interviewer.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
re: if MD were to ever beat UConn
i agree - i couldnt imagine the lack of class that would ensue. she would be the type to go ballistic, over enthusiastic. yuck.
Yes, she would rush the court all be herself.

Reaction Score

She needs Toastmasters.

Reaction Score
Although not a big fan of Coach Frese, I thought she was fine in the interview, the overuse of 'you know' notwithstanding. She never said UConn's dominance was bad for the game, that was the opinion of the interviewer.
Go Huskies!
I agree. I think she did well, pretty much said what could be said about her team and the position they're in, you know.

Reaction Score
All I know about Brenda Frese comes from her interviews and televised lockroom antics and while her interviews are not particularly noteworthy, her lockeroom demeanor strikes me as a tad forced, bordering on phony.

I remember a few years back hearing one of her pre-game speeches and couldn't believe how much she plagerized Herb Brooks from his legendary 1980 pre-Soviet Union masterpiece.

everything about her is fraudulent :

she cannot coach - Waltz did all the coaching in 2006 and assistants have been ever since

Maryland is a big happy family - until Frese revokes your scholarship, or fires a coach

pre- game speeches

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Brenda Frese is introduced as the "legendary" coach of Maryland women's basketball. I had to go to Wikipedia to educate myself. I learned that UCONN lost to Duke in the 2006 final four and that Maryland went on to win the title.

I never saw Diana or Sue Bird play. My first encounter with UCONNBB came by way of serendipity. On my tv a female basketball player hit a 3-pointer while she stood about 6' behind the arc. It was a beautiful rainbow 3. I was impressed. The shooter was Tiffany Hayes. I had never been a basketball fan until that moment; I continue to watch and be amazed by these young women who show up to play for us year after year.

But "legendary?".

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Brenda Frese is introduced as the "legendary" coach of Maryland women's basketball. I had to go to Wikipedia to educate myself. I learned that UCONN lost to Duke in the 2006 final four and that Maryland went on to win the title.

I never saw Diana or Sue Bird play. My first encounter with UCONNBB came by way of serendipity. On my tv a female basketball player hit a 3-pointer while she stood about 6' behind the arc. It was a beautiful rainbow 3. I was impressed. The shooter was Tiffany Hayes. I had never been a basketball fan until that moment; I continue to watch and be amazed by these young women who show up to play for us year after year.

But "legendary?".

Good gravy - she's being interviewed by a local journalist. What do you expect - she's the so-so coach of Maryland women's basketball? Do I think she's legendary - nope. Do I think much of her success is due to her assistants - yep. But then give her credit for hiring good coaches to work with her. We certainly do the same when talking about Geno hiring Chris and the other coaches over the years.

And while some may find her locker room pep talks goofy or awkward, so what? She's not speaking to UConn's fan base - she's talking to her players. And based on their achievements the past two years, it seems to be working.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good gravy - she's being interviewed by a local journalist. What do you expect - she's the so-so coach of Maryland women's basketball? Do I think she's legendary - nope. Do I think much of her success is due to her assistants - yep. But then give her credit for hiring good coaches to work with her. We certainly do the same when talking about Geno hiring Chris and the other coaches over the years.

And while some may find her locker room pep talks goofy or awkward, so what? She's not speaking to UConn's fan base - she's talking to her players. And based on their achievements the past two years, it seems to be working.

Why cabbie191 that is so fair and balanced of you! Heck, this time of year we do not expect or want fair and balanced! We want super enthusiastic, take no prisoners UConnism. Comprende?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom