Aubrey is needed | The Boneyard

Aubrey is needed

Reaction Score
Aubrey is the one player UConn has with elite athleticism and quickness to stay in front of guards from the top-rated programs that they will soon play. UConn is a very good team but a quicker team might push them hard.

Reaction Score
She started "to do some things" in Friday's practice Geno said, but it sounds like it's gonna be a while before she can play in a game. Maybe she'll be ready by the Louisville game.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is the one player UConn has with elite athleticism and quickness to stay in front of guards from the top-rated programs that they will soon play. UConn is a very good team but a quicker team might push them hard.
She certainly could have significantly reduced the likelihood of the quick Arkansas guards scoring.

Reaction Score
You are soooo correct. The crazy 5 guard line up yesterday was because there was no Aubrey. Aubrey could have been the 5 player in that scenario and played better defense and been a better down low offensive option in that line up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You are soooo correct. The crazy 5 guard line up yesterday was because there was no Aubrey. Aubrey could have been the 5 player in that scenario and played better defense and been a better down low offensive option in that line up.
Wait, Aubrey is a better offensive option than Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Evina, or Nika?

Reaction Score
Like I said last year we don’t need Aubrey to score unless it’s off steals or offense rebounds put backs. She needs to be our lock down defender/hustle player. We have to much fire power which wasn’t even our best against Arkansas.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
D*mn I hate it when players are injured and then we realize after the game that they are the player(s) that would have been the difference maker(s), even in a win. :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wait, Aubrey is a better offensive option than Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Evina, or Nika?
I think the point is that, when she is healthy, Aubrey is a better defensive option on the perimeter than any of the other guards that you named. Moreover, if you have to go with a small lineup because your bigs are in foul trouble and aren't quick enough to deal with the other team's not-so-bigs, Aubrey can play in the front court and be an effective rebounder and inside scorer against that kind of opponent (even if not against the Aliyah Bostons and Cameron Brinks of the world).

I remember in the Baylor game last year, Aubrey was able to draw two charging calls against Dijonae Carrington. I don't think any other defender drew even one charge.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno has said in an interview leading up to game that she may have a high ankle sprain. If true, she could be out for a while.

Reaction Score
I would like Aubrey to play soon. But with her history of having injuries, I think it’s best to let her get all the rest she needs before she plays again. She will be important in March. Not so much in November and December

Reaction Score
I think the point is that, when she is healthy, Aubrey is a better defensive option on the perimeter than any of the other guards that you named. Moreover, if you have to go with a small lineup because your bigs are in foul trouble and aren't quick enough to deal with the other team's not-so-bigs, Aubrey can play in the front court and be an effective rebounder and inside scorer against that kind of opponent (even if not against the Aliyah Bostons and Cameron Brinks of the world).

I remember in the Baylor game last year, Aubrey was able to draw two charging calls against Dijonae Carrington. I don't think any other defender drew even one charge.
Thank you!

Reaction Score
I agree,... Aubrey brings dimension(s) that her other UCONN teammates don't quite match.
Eg. Baylor, and guarding defensively in the forecourt and those interceptions of passes!
Aubrey has a "role" and a big one. GO...GIRL!!

Reaction Score
She started "to do some things" in Friday's practice Geno said, but it sounds like it's gonna be a while before she can play in a game. Maybe she'll be ready by the Louisville game.
I thought I had read that it was a high ankle sprain. If true, that takes 4-6 weeks. Not sure when she incurred the injury.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is dominate against wings and smaller bigs but against quick guards? Geno tried her in this role several times with no positive results. While opinions vary, this does not seem to be her best role.

Reaction Score
Like I said last year we don’t need Aubrey to score unless it’s off steals or offense rebounds put backs. She needs to be our lock down defender/hustle player. We have to much fire power which wasn’t even our best against Arkansas.
It’s fine to be a tremendous defensive player but it was obvious that Aubrey was often lost when the team was on offense. She doesn’t need to score big but she needs not to hinder the offense. She’s had two years to figure it out. Maybe this will be the year she figures it out but maybe the best course of action is to develop a potential big time scorer who is also a potential big time defender in Caroline. Against Arizona it was an offensive breakdown, not a defensive one, that gave Arizona the victory.

Once we start playing Big Easy teams, it will be important to use those games to bring Caroline along (and to full integrate Dorka). Those moves, more than anything else, will help Paige bring home a national championship.

Reaction Score
Aubrey a better offensive player option! Comment speaks for itself

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Geno is going to try a different approach. His "D" team will be the players who can shout "Miss" the loudest and exactly at the time when the ball is released :eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Precision of the words describing Aubrey's offense make a difference. She makes a positive offensive contribution, but does not do so within the traditional offense.

Is she a go to offensive option within the offense? No she is not. Despite that, does she score at an above average rate per minute, and at greater efficiency than the average player? Yes she does! She can slash to the basket and get a ton of offensive rebounds and put backs.
Can she spread the floor with three point shooting? No, and I get that stretching the defense is important and something that doesn't show up in individual stats.

But acting like she is a huge offensive liability or a complete non factor just isn't accurate. She scores at a pretty good rate and efficiently. She is not just a defensive player.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It’s fine to be a tremendous defensive player but it was obvious that Aubrey was often lost when the team was on offense. She doesn’t need to score big but she needs not to hinder the offense. She’s had two years to figure it out. Maybe this will be the year she figures it out but maybe the best course of action is to develop a potential big time scorer who is also a potential big time defender in Caroline. Against Arizona it was an offensive breakdown, not a defensive one, that gave Arizona the victory.

Once we start playing Big Easy teams, it will be important to use those games to bring Caroline along (and to full integrate Dorka). Those moves, more than anything else, will help Paige bring home a national championship.
Arizona loss when Arizona built the lead 1st half was when Aubrey played, 6 minutes total. Injured Nika played over 20. To get time she has to learn to play offense. 3rd year about time when she gets healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom