Aubrey Griffin....sooner than later!! | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin....sooner than later!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Friday January 18, 2019 at Springfield College in the evening...times to be announced on Oct. 11.

The Hall of Fame sponsoring:

Ossining/Springfield Central
Mater Dei/Christ The King

What a wonderful opportunity to get an in-person look at Aubrey....Central typically is a very good regional team...goes deep in the Ma. state D1 tourney.

Christ The King has 6'4" junior Natalija Marshall....I think there is mutual interest...last I heard she is an athletic 3/4 type player.

Tip of the cap to HOF Director Greg Procino for reaching out to Huskie fans with another Husky to-be.
Past attractions have included Katie Lou/KML/Stewie/Tina/Lorin....OK....toss in EDD.

Checking our schedule:

at Tulane on Wednesday Jan. 16...at Temple Sunday Jan. 20. They are on winter break during this period.
I think Geno might allow team to stay south after Tulane given Jan. temps up here...go directly to Philly....probably no players
at the Aubrey game. I bet a coach or two is there. I have seen Himself at a couple of games in the past though he never gets much viewing time since he is kinda besieged by fans/players of local teams who have played earlier in the day.

BTW: On Saturday thru Monday Springfield College hosts THE best boys' event of the year. Elite national teams/elite payers/HOF type coaches on the prowl courtside...hoping to see Danny Hurley doing the same. Some of those games are on TV.

Greg...thank you!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this tourney is where I first saw Tina Charles... as most were there to see Careem Gay (CTK/Duke)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mater Dei has a player that I believe we are interested in, Brooke Demetre, a class of 2021 wing with a smooth stroke.

brooke-demetre

Good. Players from Mater Dei do very well at UConn. No doubt she would too. Mater Dei is a private parochial high school here in So Cal that recruits ALL of its players. Their teams are always comprised of the best players in Southern California. They don’t recruit marginal players.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good. Players from Mater Dei do very well at UConn. No doubt she would too. Mater Dei is a private parochial high school here in So Cal that recruits ALL of its players. Their teams are always comprised of the best players in Southern California. They don’t recruit marginal players.
they can recruit in Southen Cali?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Technically no, but there are various ways that an outstanding private school like Mater Dei can promote itself to prospective students and their parents that are not necessarily considered “recruiting” per se.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
this tourney is where I first saw Tina Charles... as most were there to see Careem Gay (CTK/Duke)
Yep, I remember going to take a look at Gay who UCONN was recruiting. We both thought, forget Gay, UCONN should be after this Charles girl. Gay was a class ahead of Charles.

I believe they played a Lexington, KY with Natalie Novosel (ND) that game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Technically no, but there are various ways that an outstanding private school like Mater Dei can promote itself to prospective students and their parents that are not necessarily considered “recruiting” per se.
Those parochial schools can do a lot of things public schools can't get away with. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Those parochial schools can do a lot of things public schools can't get away with. :rolleyes:
Yes, they are private businesses with the resources to advertise through local media outlets, send out mass mailers, host open houses and run basketball camps and clinics for aspiring young players. In fact, I’m pretty sure I recall a video of a recent camp at Mater Dei where a group of young players got the opportunity to meet AA Mater Dei alum KLS.

Reaction Score
one thing that hasn't been mentioned about Ms Griffin.................how refreshing was it to see a simple tweet expressing her joy in committing to UConn.................no slick videos, no gimmicks, no nothin...................I think we're going to really like this player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yep, I remember going to take a look at Gay who UCONN was recruiting. We both thought, forget Gay, UCONN should be after this Charles girl. Gay was a class ahead of Charles.

I believe they played a Lexington, KY with Natalie Novosel (ND) that game.
Where did Gay end up going to school?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Many private schools, parochial or otherwise, have advantages that most public schools do not. Various rules have been put in place to offset these advantages by state athletic commissions. In my area around Birmingham, Al the private schools, mostly Christian academies, are required to 'play up" by being put into classifications that force them to play larger student population public schools. Years ago the football program in Massillon ,Ohio recruited good players by offering their parents jobs if they relocated. Seems as if certain schools will always try to get a leg up by any means possible. The ones with good programs and success in placing players on D1 teams will continue by virtue of their reputations. It is ever thus.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
one thing that hasn't been mentioned about Ms Griffin.......how refreshing was it to see a simple tweet expressing her joy in committing to UConn.......no slick videos, no gimmicks, no nothin....I think we're going to really like this player.
so you think fans don't like Megatron?

Reaction Score
so you think fans don't like Megatron?

from her early actions and from all reports Griffin has has a quiet confidence that's very appealing.................MW came in with an existing marketing plan that was less the endearing to me...........that said, I think she got the message loud and clear that UConn was not about her but about the team and she appears to have accepted that philosophy gracefully........................let's see how MW fulfills her promise this season..........if she kicks butt she can pull that marketing plan out of the draw............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mater Dei has a player that I believe we are interested in, Brooke Demetre, a class of 2021 wing with a smooth stroke.

brooke-demetre

5 Star 97 score on a class of 2021 is impressive. Yeah, some will say, but she's only 6'2". Spoiled we are. And by 2021 she may have had a final growth spurt. I know, that is the except.

Let's go to the tape. Her freshman hilites reel.

Reaction Score
5 Star 97 score on a class of 2021 is impressive. Yeah, some will say, but she's only 6'2". Spoiled we are. And by 2021 she may have had a final growth spurt. I know, that is the except.

Very nice player. Excellent instincts to find the openings. Wish she had been around to teach Stevens that turnaround J to both sides. Seems to be awful difficult for coaches at all levels, including college, to teach post players to use their size advantage to catch and shoot, ball fake and go up quick, etc. For her age this kid is very advanced.

Reaction Score

Great release point on her shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom