Aubrey Griffin looking to become a perimeter threat this season | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin looking to become a perimeter threat this season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

After missing all of last season with injuries, the redshirt junior has supposedly become a knockdown shooter.​

Welcome to the UConn WBB Weekly, a recap of everything that happened in the world of UConn women’s basketball over the past week from the team that runs The UConn Blog. Sign up to get the Weekly in your inbox every Thursday or subscribe to get our premium newsletter which includes film breakdowns, analysis, recruiting coverage and more!

Through two seasons at UConn, Aubrey Griffin has taken all of 30 shots from beyond the arc, making four — a 13.3 3-point percentage. So when the redshirt junior participated in the 3-point contest at First Night alongside the likes of Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme, it came as a surprise — at least to those outside the program.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have stated more than a few times that in HS Aubrey scored from everywhere, including beyond the 3-pt line, averaging almost 30 ppg her senior year. In college she hasn’t shot the ball that much, and didn’t appear to have a lot of confidence when she did shoot. Somewhere inside there’s an Aubrey Griffin who can be a legitimate scoring option for UConn. Can’t wait to see it happen.

Reaction Score
I hope so. The team needs another sniper out on the perimeter. That can help spread the floor. Plus, if Aubrey is close to 100% healthy, she could create dribble drive actions, drive and replace actions for Caroline, Lou, Azzi, and Dorka, if the coaching staff has Dorka rotating out on the perimeter. It is definitely going to be fun watching her on the court and seeing the improvement by all of them, but it is just going exciting to see Aubrey on the court.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
As a Freshman she made a great impression on me in the Hall of Fame Game at Mohegan Sun against Oklahoma in December, 2019. Pre-Covid, seems like a lifetime ago. That was a pretty free flowing, open court game. 14 points, 3 steals, five rebounds in 14 minutes but more importantly, she was moving at a different speed than everyone else on the floor. As in faster, quicker. She can be a real difference maker.

The article mentions hesitancy to shoot but her hesitancy has also existed operating and moving in the half court offense generally. Defense and open court play has been her strength, getting in the half court offensive flow her weakness. Even though she hasn`t been playing, she has had time to observe the offense and think about it. I will be looking for her to be operating more decisively in the half court, especially now that Geno has told her - demanded - she take the open shot.

She has the green light!

200.gif

Reaction Score
I have stated more than a few times that in HS Aubrey scored from everywhere, including beyond the 3-pt line, averaging almost 30 ppg her senior year. In college she hasn’t shot the ball that much, and didn’t appear to have a lot of confidence when she did shoot. Somewhere inside there’s an Aubrey Griffin who can be a legitimate scoring option for UConn. Can’t wait to see it happen.
It couldn't happen at a better time in her career or Uconn history.

Reaction Score
I’d rather see offensive rebound support and team leading steals from her. This team needs that more than another sniper.
While you are correct in your assessment, it is my belief IF everyone one scored when the opportunity presented itself Uconn would where it should be. That is, you can't have too many scorers or defenders. Both functions need good bench support.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
She was a terrific guard in high school, and Auriemma stated last week that it is a matter of confidence with her. He also included her with Fudd, Ducharme, and Senechal as the 4 best scorers on the team.
Can you be more specific about where and when Geno said this? If it's a video that someone has posted on the Boneyard, I'd like to see it and understand the context.

The reason why I'm skeptical is that if the four best scorers on the team are all (mainly) perimeter players, that would seem to imply that Geno is not counting (or planning) on much scoring in the paint.

I hope that is not the case. I hope that about 40% of UConn's points this season come from front court players: Dorka, Aaliyah (especially), Ayanna, and Amari. I also hope that UConn averages 10 to 15 second-chance points per game.

I would be more confident that this is realistic if Ice were not frozen this season, but the other players mentioned above should be big enough and talented enough to fulfill those expectations anyway. The issue is whether they (especially Aliyah) can stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
JoePgh, here you go. At the 26.30 mark of the Big East media day interview, during the Fox 61 interview, and after the scrimmage interview he goes into detail about Aubrey. All available on You Tube !

Reaction Score
I too have stated [more than a few times] that I have seen what you saw [Old Dude] from Aubrey in high school and I predicted that she would lead the team in scoring as a freshman. Well that didn't happen but mebbe something good will happen this year, eh? Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
I too have stated [more than a few times] that I have seen what you saw [Old Dude] from Aubrey in high school and I predicted that she would lead the team in scoring as a freshman. Well that didn't happen but mebbe something good will happen this year, eh? Fingers crossed!
I saw some of that hs scoring, too. But I don’t think Geno recruited her for that. He has said that finding scorers is not that hard. The hard part is finding kids you can mold into defenders. I suspect that’s what he saw in Aubrey, someone with enough team spirit and generosity to become a great defender. The transformation of Aubrey-the-scorer into Aubrey-the-awesome-defender may have been too thorough those first few years. Now we have to awaken the other side of an amazing athlete.

Reaction Score
I think some of the focus on improvement in Aubrey's perimeter shot has to do with where she is most needed this year. In her first two years she was mostly a 4, and an occasional 3. This year it could be the opposite due to Paige's injury, although Ice also missing the season means we will need her some at the 4 as well.

Aubrey is often viewed as a non-scorer but that is not quite true. If memory serves me right her rate of scoring was about average, and her efficiency a little above average. That is despite turning down perimeter shots, and being an afterthought in the offensive scheme. She was effective slashing to the basket, getting out on the break, a great offensive rebounder with easy putbacks, and she drew a ton of fouls.

Now the problem is floor spacing and fitting into the offense. As a 4 it is not a big deal, but as a 3 the importance of a perimeter shot is much greater, and Aubrey's talents around the basket less important. If she becomes a dangerous three point threat, we could have a real star here. More realistic perhaps might be hoping that Aubrey becomes an OK 3pt threat, someone who if they are wide open, and have time, you want to go ahead and launch from there, perhaps more like Nika.

If she can do that, with the other things she brings, she could be a real asset at the 3, and become the important 5th choice behind the top 4 at the three small positions. That competition is between her, Ines, and Ayanna. Ayanna is in many ways a bigger Aubrey, but in her first year it would be asking a great deal for her to feel comfortable at the wing, but clearly there is a lot of talent there. Ines is probably more of a fallback option, far less talented, but a true guard who can hit the perimeter shot.

If Aubrey can be decent from the 3, we won't need to look to the other options at the 3. With Ice's injury she can still get some minutes at the 4 and be used quite a bit. If there is an injury to any of our four main guards, however, she will be needed more exclusively on the wing, because the 5th guard option then becomes the principle backup to all the guards, and the odds that will happen at some point in the season are pretty high, so turning Aubrey into a wing is a pretty important factor this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Geno has decided to use the Pixie Dust coaching technigue with Aubrey. His one of the four best shooters quote is bewildering and lacks any statistical basis. So he says this in the hope of instilling confidence? I have never seen her in a game where she understood UConn's motion offense and she has had a penchant for clogging up the middle. Perhaps she can become a shooter and spend more time outside. That would be a welcome change.

Reaction Score
I posted some time ago, that the metrics on Aubrey's first two seasons were amongst the highest on the team. Pt.s scored, rebounds, steals and blocks vs. minutes played were elite. As far as lacking any statistical analysis, witness Auriemma repeating her 28 pt. performance vs. Seton Hall and the quality of her game vs. Tenn. His statement regarding Aubrey and Ayanna on the court at the same time is telling of his evaluation and acknowledgment of her abundant talent.

Reaction Score
If AG has developed a good 3pt shot and if she is totally healthy she will be a star. Maybe THE star of this team.

Reaction Score
This team is going to need to run. If they aren't moving on the floor sub them out. Standing around is not going to cut it this year.

Reaction Score
TeamFirst, correct again. If this team becomes stagnant with the half court offense they run, it will be a long season. A Ferrari isn't made to idle in traffic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom