ATTN Giufre and Horton - things to fix moving forward | The Boneyard

ATTN Giufre and Horton - things to fix moving forward

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
After taking a day to recalibrate, nothing we can do to fix the past. It's all about the future and the only thing this staff can do at this point is work with this team for this year.

However, as is obvious, we have been outcoached and every turn. After 3 games, we have an idea on who should be out on the field and who shouldn't. That said, coaching and game planning can help the players:

Giufre and Moyseenko:
  1. For the love of G-d, help Lundt on the right side. Have a TE help block and then maybe release. Have an RB chip the end on the way out. Do something to help him.
  2. Enough of establishing the run up the middle with a delayed handoff. You are starting a RB in Mensah who isn't designed for this offense. He isn't good at reading the holes and rarely makes anyone miss. Either install some Power I or quick hitters for him or get him out and turn the page to Carter, Burns and Houston.
  3. Stick with Steven Krajewski. Design some run stuff for him- either RPO or delayed draws. Move him out of the pocket. Get some quick pitch and catches out there.
  4. Help the O Line- I can't tell if they are Zone blocking or just not trying to block. Someone gets overwhelmed at the point of attack and then the play is blown up. They can't handle a blitz and forget this delayed crap. Quick hitters with hitting the man in front of you would help them. Not sure if either guard can pull(which is a travesty) and you can't get screens going for the same reason. Also, at this point, rotate some new guards in there - Haynes and Niederowski aren't doing it. They aren't consistently nasty or physical. SO run some plays that force them to do that.
  5. Teach the wide outs and TE's how to block out in space on the outside. All the other teams seem to be able to run those outside WR screeens and 7 yards a pop - we can do that to.
  6. Stop being predictable on our play calls. Surprising people with a run up the middle on the last play of the half after a timeout is not the surprising anyone is asking for. Also, you can't run a reverse on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game. This isn't Madden. Plays build on plays - Script out the first 10 plays and have them build on each other.

Horton
  1. Tackling drills for all LB's and DB's. All of them.
  2. For the love of G-d, if you are going to play Man to man - jam the WR the line of scrimmage. Giving someone a running start of 5 -10 yards is a recipe for disaster.
  3. Is the offense so bad that the D can't practice zone coverage? I have never seen so many miscommunications in levels in 1 game as I did versus Purdue. The gaps between LB's and DB's was staggering. Work on the "handoffs" from different levels, Get the LB's to read the keys and get into the right spots in the zone.
  4. Good Defenses create turnovers. We are so away from that- can we create something for hard hits? This isn't 30 years ago where you could go head hunting. Just a hit where the offensive player feels it? Fogle, a freshman was the only person who hit someone hard last week.
  5. The good thing against Purdue was we weren't gashed for many very long touchdowns. Instead, we employed bend and finally break 7 series in a row. We need to try and dictate pace and control - this defensive is reactionary - time to change things up and force the offense into reacting to us. Can't hurt.
Overall:
  1. We need a team psychologist - when something goes wrong- the dam breaks and this team cowers in the corner. This is the most mentally scarred fragile group I have seen. Any big play we give up results in a TD on the next play. Coach them up to hit someone. If you are going to lose 49-0, leave a few marks out there to let the opponent know there is fight.
As a fan, I went from 7 wins to looking for incremental improvement. Who knows who will be here next year from a coaching and personnel perspective, but while you are here - the players and team have to be make the most of the moment. C'mon coaches, help the kids out!

Reaction Score
I have calmed down a bit, but I just keep going back to the entire mentality of the team is “soft”. You can’t play football at any level that way. Everyone points to deficient talent and perhaps that is true, but there is zero fight in this team right now. Many football teams with less talent fight (and win) all the time. I don’t remember the last time I could say that about us. Please show some of that on Saturday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After taking a day to recalibrate, nothing we can do to fix the past. It's all about the future and the only thing this staff can do at this point is work with this team for this year.

However, as is obvious, we have been outcoached and every turn. After 3 games, we have an idea on who should be out on the field and who shouldn't. That said, coaching and game planning can help the players:

Giufre and Moyseenko:
  1. For the love of G-d, help Lundt on the right side. Have a TE help block and then maybe release. Have an RB chip the end on the way out. Do something to help him.
  2. Enough of establishing the run up the middle with a delayed handoff. You are starting a RB in Mensah who isn't designed for this offense. He isn't good at reading the holes and rarely makes anyone miss. Either install some Power I or quick hitters for him or get him out and turn the page to Carter, Burns and Houston.
  3. Stick with Steven Krajewski. Design some run stuff for him- either RPO or delayed draws. Move him out of the pocket. Get some quick pitch and catches out there.
  4. Help the O Line- I can't tell if they are Zone blocking or just not trying to block. Someone gets overwhelmed at the point of attack and then the play is blown up. They can't handle a blitz and forget this delayed crap. Quick hitters with hitting the man in front of you would help them. Not sure if either guard can pull(which is a travesty) and you can't get screens going for the same reason. Also, at this point, rotate some new guards in there - Haynes and Niederowski aren't doing it. They aren't consistently nasty or physical. SO run some plays that force them to do that.
  5. Teach the wide outs and TE's how to block out in space on the outside. All the other teams seem to be able to run those outside WR screeens and 7 yards a pop - we can do that to.
  6. Stop being predictable on our play calls. Surprising people with a run up the middle on the last play of the half after a timeout is not the surprising anyone is asking for. Also, you can't run a reverse on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game. This isn't Madden. Plays build on plays - Script out the first 10 plays and have them build on each other.

Horton
  2. For the love of G-d, if you are going to play Man to man - jam the WR the line of scrimmage. Giving someone a running start of 5 -10 yards is a recipe for disaster.
  3. Is the offense so bad that the D can't practice zone coverage? I have never seen so many miscommunications in levels in 1 game as I did versus Purdue. The gaps between LB's and DB's was staggering. Work on the "handoffs" from different levels, Get the LB's to read the keys and get into the right spots in the zone.
  4. Good Defenses create turnovers. We are so away from that- can we create something for hard hits? This isn't 30 years ago where you could go head hunting. Just a hit where the offensive player feels it? Fogle, a freshman was the only person who hit someone hard last week.
  5. The good thing against Purdue was we weren't gashed for many very long touchdowns. Instead, we employed bend and finally break 7 series in a row. We need to try and dictate pace and control - this defensive is reactionary - time to change things up and force the offense into reacting to us. Can't hurt.
Overall:
  1. We need a team psychologist - when something goes wrong- the dam breaks and this team cowers in the corner. This is the most mentally scarred fragile group I have seen. Any big play we give up results in a TD on the next play. Coach them up to hit someone. If you are going to lose 49-0, leave a few marks out there to let the opponent know there is fight.
As a fan, I went from 7 wins to looking for incremental improvement. Who knows who will be here next year from a coaching and personnel perspective, but while you are here - the players and team have to be make the most of the moment. C'mon coaches, help the kids out!
Want a job as OC?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Want a job as OC?
I would love a career change but this one job is good for 2 months or so. That said, if anyone has either played and or watched football, it isn't rocket science. Take advantage of your strengths and opponents weakness and help mask your deficiencies. I still think we have decent receivers, tight ends and some very good young running backs. Get them in a position to make a play.

We started with some misdirection but we have to loosen up the line of scrimmage to help the O line. Also, our offense is so rudimentary, we don't know how to handle a blitz.

I should have added stop with the 5 wide. Tom Brady couldn't get through a 5 progressions with the lack of time the O line provides. Time to keep an RB in the backfield to help with either a blitz or again, chip a lineman!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Enough of establishing the run up the middle with a delayed handoff. You are starting a RB in Mensah who isn't designed for this offense. He isn't good at reading the holes and rarely makes anyone miss. Either install some Power I or quick hitters for him or get him out and turn the page to Carter, Burns and Houston

This feels almost like when PP ran McCombs up the middle, with Delorenzo and Hyppolite on the bench. Sheer madness.

Reaction Score

Giufre and Moyseenko:

Horton
Overall:
I’m scared the current staff just might be looking at the BY for coaching tips.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe because I'm watching through my fingers, but I didn't think the pass protection was all that bad. I think our QBs take too long to make a read and deliver the ball. On Steven Krajewski's fumble he had enough time, but missed guys open early and seemed to forget that people were chasing him after he stepped up in the pocket. WR could get more separation but the opponents QB's seem more capable of delivering in tigher spaces.

Reaction Score
They run way too many Zone read runs and the line isn't blocking it well at all. We need to take more advantage of the lines inability to block well with more screen and more traps where you actually want a bit of penetration. To run the ball other than that they're going to have to go back to basic run blocking, because they sure as heck can't seem to manage the zone block scheme. Krajewski needs to remain the QB... I'd love to see a RPO installed as I felt like Krajewski also made his best throws on the move with roll outs and bootlegs, but I don't think we have any of that installed in the offense (at least not that I recall seeing used yet). His throws on the three-step swing and bubble screen plays weren't consistent, that needs to improve.

Defensively the secondaries inability and/or unwillingness to tackle is well documented, but I was shocked at how slow they were to break on the ball while playing the soft-zone that let Purdue go 30-36 passing. There were a ton of times where it felt like guys were content to let themselves be blocked vs fighting through the block to make a stop or at least close down the edge.

Reaction Score
I'm with Palantine. Screen passes, the D wont be able to tell if the OLine is feigning blocks.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We have no choice but to pull on the coaching levers, but root cause is that up and down the roster we are not big enough, strong enough, fast enough. Please note this isn’t personal against specific players… it’s not their fault. Coaching will only mitigate so much. Belichick would be lucky to eek out a W.

Reaction Score

Giufre and Moyseenko:

Horton
Overall:
Best TE’s are Rose and Heatherman in my opinion. Heatherman was Recruited by P5 schools. Don’t know why we haven’t seen him. If I was a betting man using them together would make a big difference. Don’t know why they aren’t using their blocking TE’s. Niemenski too, but I don’t see as much about him.

Reaction Score
We need to take more advantage of the lines inability to block well with more screen and more traps where you actually want a bit of penetration.

Defensively the secondaries inability and/or unwillingness to tackle is well documented, but I was shocked at how slow they were to break on the ball while playing the soft-zone that let Purdue go 30-36 passing. There were a ton of times where it felt like guys were content to let themselves be blocked vs fighting through the block to make a stop or at least close down the edge.
Our screen plays are already sniffed out before they even start to develop (check tape over the first 3 games.. especially vs. the two FBS opponents)...

You're on point with the defense... very soft... pitiful.. no pride shown whatsoever... they get engaged with a blocker and show zero fight to disengage to try and make a tackle.. If they did that much I bet you'd probably see a few plays called back because of holding...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I see Boys vs men
But there has to be a way that the team can put something besides a goose egg on offense and to shut down the opposing team at least 60% of the time on defense
There has to be
It cannot be that complicated - I am a soccer guy but have been a UConn football fan and season ticket holder but I really feel that (CRINGE) PP and Red Pants might get one of those two asks to work
Maybe I'm way off course....................................

Reaction Score

Giufre and Moyseenko:

Horton
Overall:
Great post brother... I hope our coaching staff takes note.. They should be reading this... and feel a little shame... our kids are not coming out ready to play.. that's partially their fault...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m scared the current staff just might be looking at the BY for coaching tips.
The way I look at it, things can only get better. At this point I don’t care if we have magic eight ball on the sidelines calling the plays.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 1631564658984.jpeg
    1631564658984.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 76
Reaction Score
Another thing we will need going forward.. More capable QBs... Not just one that just gets it, but a few that get it... Right now, I just don't see us having that... You gotta be able to push the ball down the field... and I can see that we appear to have enough talent at WR/TE/RB that are capable pass catchers... Get them the ball in the right spot... No throwing behind them . Be exact... If you come in a game and we're not seeing that, then how are you the answer? Gotta be working on the basics as much as you need to so when it's game time it's 2nd nature...

Reaction Score
Ok I’ve been saying the exact thing since the season started… You nailed it perfectly with this post.

Why can’t they figure this out! If we can see the problems I’m sure they can too!! Do something about it before the team loses all hope..

Giufre and Moyseenko:

Horton
Overall:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Maybe because I'm watching through my fingers, but I didn't think the pass protection was all that bad. I think our QBs take too long to make a read and deliver the ball. On Steven Krajewski's fumble he had enough time, but missed guys open early and seemed to forget that people were chasing him after he stepped up in the pocket. WR could get more separation but the opponents QB's seem more capable of delivering in tigher spaces.
Were your fingers open while you were watching the game? Tighter spaces? Purdue’s quarterbacks, all four of them, had more time to throw and wide open receivers. And I won’t even mention the yards gained after the catches.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Crazy that in the two years off from playing the coaches never thought to think of running tackling drills.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Saw this bit of interesting data in today's UConn Daily newsletter:

Astonishingly, UConn is tied for third with Auburn, and behind Fresno State and LSU, with 22 tackles for a loss.

• Defensive linemen Kevon Jones and Travis Jones each have three TFLs and defensive end Lwal Uguak and linebackers Jackson Mitchell and Omar Fortt each have two. Overall, the Huskies are tied for 18th in the FBS with seven sacks.

• The Huskies had four TFLs against Fresno State, 11 TFLs and four sacks against Holy Cross and seven TFLs and three sacks against Purdue. So, sure, the numbers are a bit inflated, but so are Fresno State's. After all, the Bulldogs had 10 TFLs and four sacks on UConn in the opener.

• Travis Jones, the 6-foot-5, 333-pound junior from New Haven, is already getting NFL Draft buzz. Kevon Jones, the 6-foot-2, 247-pound junior from East Hartford, could be in that conversation, too, if he can stay on the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom