Attending Practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Attending Practice

Reaction Score
8. When your father calls you a "Nasty piece of business," you must be a true BADASS! Kia is in the mold of Shea, someone who runs through brick walls and leaves the bricks screaming in pain.

I recall a similar statement by Jenn Rizzotti's husband a few years ago..... "If Jenn ran into a brick wall, I'd feel sorry for the brick wall." It would appear that Geno's standards haven't changed much. :) Head bang

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I heard a story about Bronko Nagurski (fullback for the Bears in the 30's) once: He took a handoff, put his head down, ran over about five guys, ran into the goalpost, knocked it over, ran through the back of the end zone and into a brick wall and fell over. Then he said, "That last guy hit me awful hard."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You have identified a new badassery standard. As for overall superlative performance, try this:

["She] can walk on water and not scare the fish."
(Fill in a name.) ;)
You lost me on your quote for superlative performance- how is not scaring fish the sign of a badass? We want sharks and killer whales doing deep dives away in pure fear and terror when our women walk above!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You lost me on your quote for superlative performance- how is not scaring fish the sign of a badass? We want sharks and killer whales doing deep dives away in pure fear and terror when our women walk above!

OK. You got me. I'll defer to Miss. State coach for "fish stories.";)

Remember? He compared UConn players to "piranhas on a roast.":)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OK. You got me. I'll defer to Miss. State coach for "fish stories.";)

Remember? He compared UConn players to "piranhas on a roast.":)

piranha-eat-cows-1.jpg

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel to watch practice for the first time ever today, and it was more exciting and fun than most games. The level of focus for almost 3 hours was amazing, and it was splendid to watch it all happen. Some takeaways:

1. Saniya almost never misses. Whether she shoots or not in games, she can SHOOT.
2. Azura is having a really good time, always. Also, she's going to be so so so good. Batouly too. UCONN might get every rebound next season.
3. Watching Gabby run the floor during fast break drills was the highlight of the day. She soars.
4. Molly and Kyla are good. We can't tell on TV, and it sometimes looks messy when they're in, but they're really good. Natalieghly skilled kids too. The practice players guarding Natalie needed to ice after practice, I'm sure.
5. Tierney never gives up, and her defense (with the male practice players as her teammates) against the starters was just what you'd expect from her.
6. Lou and Napheesa can do everything. Lou was impressive inside, while Napheesa hit about 8 threes in a row while warming up.
7. Crystal can break down a defense. She drove to the basket like she did against Baylor again and again.
8. Kia works hard. Very hard. If she's got a weak ankle, it sure didn't show.

This is an easy team to like.

2. Azura is almost a lock IMHO to start next year. The core 4 and her will be a match up nightmare for other teams. 5 highly skilled kids with size. I would have said Crystal, like many others have at one point in time but the jumps that Lou, Gabby and Collier have made make me less worried about a lack of ball handling. In fact I would dare a team to try pressing that group because there will be a match up in our favor somewhere on the floor. I think it was Geno who said Azura was a possible NPOY. Wow, what an embarrassment of riches! If Crystal does in fact start, well that will mean she is out playing one of those 5 studs, DAMN!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2. Azura is almost a lock IMHO to start next year. The core 4 and her will be a match up nightmare for other teams. 5 highly skilled kids with size. I would have said Crystal, like many others have at one point in time but the jumps that Lou, Gabby and Collier have made make me less worried about a lack of ball handling. In fact I would dare a team to try pressing that group because there will be a match up in our favor somewhere on the floor. I think it was Geno who said Azura was a possible NPOY. Wow, what an embarrassment of riches! If Crystal does in fact start, well that will mean she is out playing one of those 5 studs, DAMN!
I believe Geno said that Z would be the #1 pick in 2019. I think a few folks including Graham Hayes and our own Coach Bill said that she would be the leading contender for NPOY as soon as next year. Geno said we will not lose a game in 2017-18 or 2018-19.

Reaction Score
So on a team that does not start Saniya (graduation) or Crystal Dangerfield, who is the second guard?

Reaction Score
So on a team that does not start Saniya (graduation) or Crystal Dangerfield, who is the second guard?

IMO defensively it would be Gabby.

IMO offensively it would be Lou but the 2guard won't be as important in their motion offense. I expect Gabby to catch more outlet passes on fastbreaks. UCONN doesn't do a lot of dribbling anyways.

And because the team will blow out so many opponents, players like Danger and Walker will get minutes in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
IMO defensively it would be Gabby.

IMO offensively it would be Lou but the 2guard won't be as important in their motion offense. I expect Gabby to catch more outlet passes on fastbreaks. UCONN doesn't do a lot of dribbling anyways.

And because the team will blow out so many opponents, players like Danger and Walker will get minutes in the backcourt.
I don't think Crystal Dangerfield is going to sit for Gabby. Crystal is faster, has shooting range, is or will be shortly a better passer, and is or will be a better ball handler. If she really is the PG of the future, you need to let her have the reins ASAP and not have her junior season be the first time she is responsible for running the team. We have two legit guards next year and more forwards than we know what to do with. The forwards are going to have to be the ones in more of a rotation competing for the three starting spots.

Reaction Score
I don't think Crystal Dangerfield is going to sit for Gabby. Crystal is faster, has shooting range, is or will be shortly a better passer, and is or will be a better ball handler. If she really is the PG of the future, you need to let her have the reins ASAP and not have her junior season be the first time she is responsible for running the team. We have two legit guards next year and more forwards than we know what to do with. The forwards are going to have to be the ones in more of a rotation competing for the three starting spots.

We can agree to disagree. :)

Gabby is playing at all-american level right now and on offense I see no reason to change what she does in the halfcourt and I wouldn't take out an a/a caliber player and hope CD would be an a/a instead of "knowing" the a/a that Gabby is. On top of it, Gabby can guard nearly everywhere on the floor. CD can't. Further, I don't see why UCONN needs another guard instead of Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Collier and Az. IMO we have well enough ballhandling and passing.

And with the starting lineup of Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Collier and Az, we'd have at least two guards on the bench in CD and Meg. Who knows for example how good Coombs may also be for example. So having 4 guards and then adding in Gabby on defense as a guard along with a ballhandler for fastbreaks and Lou can play like a guard on offense - I think we have a lot of guards to use.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree. :)

Gabby is playing at all-american level right now and on offense I see no reason to change what she does in the halfcourt and I wouldn't take out an a/a caliber player and hope CD would be an a/a instead of "knowing" the a/a that Gabby is. On top of it, Gabby can guard nearly everywhere on the floor. CD can't. Further, I don't see why UCONN needs another guard instead of Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Collier and Az. IMO we have well enough ballhandling and passing.

And with the starting lineup of Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Collier and Az, we'd have at least two guards on the bench in CD and Meg. Who knows for example how good Coombs may also be for example. So having 4 guards and then adding in Gabby on defense as a guard along with a ballhandler for fastbreaks and Lou can play like a guard on offense - I think we have a lot of guards to use.
I guess you are advocating a one guard line up with four forwards? It's not my cup of tea, but could work if you don't mind being a little bit slower. Also for those insistent on Crystal Dangerfield being a bench player, what happens when Kia graduates? What made Mo so effective was she got one season to come off the bench, the next one starting alongside Bria and the rest of the starting unit, and then it was entirely her team to run for the last two seasons. I don't see why you wouldn't do that again with Crystal Dangerfield and Kia.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let's look rationally at this: Geno is not going to sit (not start) any of the core 4 next year. It comes down to Z or Crystal Dangerfield as the 5th spot. Stop thinking traditionally and think laterally- we didn't have a center this year so by rights, according to your logic Nat should be starting. She isn't. Next year I also agree Z will get the nod but Crystal Dangerfield will still get a ton of minutes in the rotation. The energy Crystal Dangerfield can bring off the bench would be great. I understand your traditional logic however this will be a loaded team WHO ALL PASS EXTREMELY WELL. That mitigates a traditional #1 player to start the game. As has been said, it's not how you start but how (who) you finish!

Reaction Score
I guess you are advocating a one guard line up with four forwards? It's not my cup of tea, but could work if you don't mind being a little bit slower. Also for those insistent on Crystal Dangerfield being a bench player, what happens when Kia graduates? What made Mo so effective was she got one season to come off the bench, the next one starting alongside Bria and the rest of the starting unit, and then it was entirely her team to run for the last two seasons. I don't see why you wouldn't do that again with Crystal Dangerfield and Kia.

No-- I don't agree.

1-- Gabby has ball-handling skills like a guard and can be the best defender vs guards.
2-- Lou is a wing that can easily play 2guard because imo there isn't much difference between for a a sf or 2guard. KML mostly played on the peirmiter - wasn't very fast in 3 years ago when we'd have Stokes Stef and STeiw in- KML was able to play sg. Next year as ajr Lou would be able ot play. This would help also diverse her game.
3-- If you want to to speak of Mo- there is always Sue Bird, Renee Monty and Jen Rizzotti all starting as underclassmen. CD will be an upperclassmen her jr year. I don't see a big deal with her jump from bench to starter. The team will be amazing with other players.
4-- I don't see why you wouldn't start Gabby and have Danger come off the bench. :)

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel to watch practice for the first time ever today, and it was more exciting and fun than most games. The level of focus for almost 3 hours was amazing, and it was splendid to watch it all happen. Some takeaways:

1. Saniya almost never misses. Whether she shoots or not in games, she can SHOOT.
2. Azura is having a really good time, always. Also, she's going to be so so so good. Batouly too. UCONN might get every rebound next season.
3. Watching Gabby run the floor during fast break drills was the highlight of the day. She soars.
4. Molly and Kyla are good. We can't tell on TV, and it sometimes looks messy when they're in, but they're really good. Natalie too. The practice players guarding Natalie needed to ice after practice, I'm sure.
5. Tierney never gives up, and her defense (with the male practice players as her teammates) against the starters was just what you'd expect from her.
6. Lou and Napheesa can do everything. Lou was impressive inside, while Napheesa hit about 8 threes in a row while warming up.
7. Crystal can break down a defense. She drove to the basket like she did against Baylor again and again.
8. Kia works hard. Very hard. If she's got a weak ankle, it sure didn't show.

This is an easy team to like.
We've seen most of what you say above--on the floor---but the truth is Saniya misses--she came into Uconn as a shooter--a terrific shooter.
Butler has gotten so good in these last 5 games--it is impressive--and gives me confidence
What you can do--is write a bit more about what you saw from Molly and Kyla that gives you so much confidence. I have seen Kyla zoom past Molly in being ready for prime time--Molly seems to have hit a mental block and cant get past it--Danger--is Danger--great on offense, weak on D.

Reaction Score
We've seen most of what you say above--on the floor---but the truth is Saniya misses--she came into Uconn as a shooter--a terrific shooter.
Butler has gotten so good in these last 5 games--it is impressive--and gives me confidence
What you can do--is write a bit more about what you saw from Molly and Kyla that gives you so much confidence. I have seen Kyla zoom past Molly in being ready for prime time--Molly seems to have hit a mental block and cant get past it--Danger--is Danger--great on offense, weak on D.
I don't disagree about what we've seen in games, and I'm sure some of what I observed was due to my delight at being there and my admiration for everyone's skill, but Molly was hitting shots and running the floor just like everyone else in practice. Indeed, what impressed me the most was the fact that, during practice, there was almost no difference at all between the top of the rotation players and the bottom. Except for the drills at the very end that were designed to use what Shea had prepared for the game the next day, everyone did everything, all practice long. There weren't starters and subs.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree about what we've seen in games, and I'm sure some of what I observed was due to my delight at being there and my admiration for everyone's skill, but Molly was hitting shots and running the floor just like everyone else in practice. Indeed, what impressed me the most was the fact that, during practice, there was almost no difference at all between the top of the rotation players and the bottom. Except for the drills at the very end that were designed to use what Shea had prepared for the game the next day, everyone did everything, all practice long. There weren't starters and subs.
Thanks---With a Division One team--with only one "walkon" --I would expect that practices would be common to all, i.e. starters or subs--that's pretty much how a coach protects him/herself should the unthinkable happen in games.
As argumentative as this sounds, it isn't, I'm looking for insight into Molly's ability to be a Chong or Danger sub---. We see her in game run the floor- she has hit more shots than I thought--but how accurate were her practice shots (not layups). He defense has improved--not there just yet but none other than the starting 5 are really there--Butler is closest.
So again--and I appreciate the above it is nice to peep thru the hole in the wall and see what OUR girls are doing in practice--thanks---anything further on Molly's readiness is appreciated. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom