Attending Practice | The Boneyard

Attending Practice

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel to watch practice for the first time ever today, and it was more exciting and fun than most games. The level of focus for almost 3 hours was amazing, and it was splendid to watch it all happen. Some takeaways:

1. Saniya almost never misses. Whether she shoots or not in games, she can SHOOT.
2. Azura is having a really good time, always. Also, she's going to be so so so good. Batouly too. UCONN might get every rebound next season.
3. Watching Gabby run the floor during fast break drills was the highlight of the day. She soars.
4. Molly and Kyla are good. We can't tell on TV, and it sometimes looks messy when they're in, but they're really good. Natalie too. The practice players guarding Natalie needed to ice after practice, I'm sure.
5. Tierney never gives up, and her defense (with the male practice players as her teammates) against the starters was just what you'd expect from her.
6. Lou and Napheesa can do everything. Lou was impressive inside, while Napheesa hit about 8 threes in a row while warming up.
7. Crystal can break down a defense. She drove to the basket like she did against Baylor again and again.
8. Kia works hard. Very hard. If she's got a weak ankle, it sure didn't show.

This is an easy team to like.

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel to watch practice for the first time ever today, and it was more exciting and fun than most games. The level of focus for almost 3 hours was amazing, and it was splendid to watch it all happen. Some takeaways:

1. Saniya almost never misses. Whether she shoots or not in games, she can SHOOT.
2. Azura is having a really good time, always. Also, she's going to be so so so good. Batouly too. UCONN might get every rebound next season.
3. Watching Gabby run the floor during fast break drills was the highlight of the day. She soars.
4. Molly and Kyla are good. We can't tell on TV, and it sometimes looks messy when they're in, but they're really good. Natalie too. The practice players guarding Natalie needed to ice after practice, I'm sure.
5. Tierney never gives up, and her defense (with the male practice players as her teammates) against the starters was just what you'd expect from her.
6. Lou and Napheesa can do everything. Lou was impressive inside, while Napheesa hit about 8 threes in a row while warming up.
7. Crystal can break down a defense. She drove to the basket like she did against Baylor again and again.

You are a lucky dog. I wish that I could watch one of those practices, but New Mexico is a little too far to travel on these old bones. Just real games via Direct TV

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. It is all very reassuring.

Can all season ticket holders attend practice, or do you have to be a
"contributor" at some level as well?
I'm sure it wasn't just season ticket holders or contributors (I'm neither), and there were plenty of youth basketball teams there as well: girls who were certainly inspired by what they saw.

Reaction Score

So, why isn't UConn winning every game 150-0? :)

Seriously, all very interesting and encouraging. The word on Z is growing that she will be truly astonishing next year. It seems amazing to me that the day BEFORE a game, they put in 3 hard hours. I wonder how many other teams do that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@vballcoach curious about "If she's (Kia) got a weak ankle, it sure didn't show.
I'm not aware of any injuries to Kia ankle ever, did something in practice or recently?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. It is all very reassuring.

Can all season ticket holders attend practice, or do you have to be a
"contributor" at some level as well?

Practice must have been held on the floor at Gampel. I don't think you can jut walk in to their practice facility. But, I might be wrong.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Here's two more likes. Make that three.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

What a fantastic report, and so well written. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
The team hosts open practices a couple times a year. These can be visited by anyone and are held in Gampel. The practice facility is private and unless you're pretty well-connected or a high school coach you can't get in for a practice.

Reaction Score

Great info. I wanted to ask your perspective of how Lou looked on defense in practice? I think it's a bit underrated but obviously she has room to grow.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Nice report!! I'll second your final comment: This IS an easy team to like.

A few semi-randoms thoughts:

1. Saniya scored 2,988 points in high school. She's an elite shooter who can score from almost anywhere.

2. Some folks think that Z will be strong NPOY candidate. Yikes!

3. Yes, just watching some players run is fun. Moriah, Maya, Gabby, and Megan are among them.

4. That's an encouraging sign.

5. T is INTENSE!

6. Lou posting up and Pheesa hitting treys: versatile and UNGUARDABLE.

7. Crystal is an ankle-breaker in the mold of MoJeff. Record ALL the games she plays.

8. When your father calls you a "Nasty piece of business," you must be a true BADASS! Kia is in the mold of Shea, someone who runs through brick walls and leaves the bricks screaming in pain.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When your father calls you a "Nasty piece of business," you must be a true BADASS! Kia is in the mold of Shea, someone who runs through brick walls and leaves the bricks screaming in pain.

You have identified a new badassery standard. As for overall superlative performance, try this:

["She] can walk on water and not scare the fish."
(Fill in a name.) ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, I am an English teacher. Thanks.

Your students are among the fortunate. At least for the hour they're with you. ;)

Reaction Score
Great info. I wanted to ask your perspective of how Lou looked on defense in practice? I think it's a bit underrated but obviously she has room to grow.
That was where Geno seemed to get most involved in the drills: encouraging Lou to maintain a lower stance. He got right out there. From the stands, the defensive drills looked brutal, by the way.

Reaction Score
Note to Geno: If and when you have these "open practices", how hard would it be to stream this practice to cyber world?

I would bet the event would garner much attention.

Reaction Score
So how did you get the notice of and invite to the practice?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom