Attendence: a measure of demand | The Boneyard

Attendence: a measure of demand

Reaction Score
In a previous thread the BY spend time analyzing the difference in men's and women's basketball from the perspective of equality. After the wonderful weekend in Tempe I thought it might be useful to look at some data reflecting an argument I made in that thread.

In that thread I made the observation that the difference in pay and conditions is not discriminatory but is simply a reflection of free choice made by those in our society.

That choice calculus was reflected this past weekend and I've provided attendance data for ASU and U of A men's and women's last two home games.

First I recognize that Tucson is a basketball town and Tempe is not. The program on the men's side in Tucson has been wildly successful and the current coach Sean Miller continues the string of sellouts.

Looking at the comparison of men's and women's attendance at ASU it's startling and stark. The women played the second and third ranked teams in the country while ASU men last two home games played unranked mid-major and below teams.

As I said previously, on Friday and Sunday there was a sea of green and orange. This was a reflection of interest of the higher rankings of those two Oregon schools and the fact that we have lots of snow birds in Tempe. So I would guess 1/3 to 1/4 of the fans in attendance this past weekend were Oregon fans.

But what is notable is the significant difference between the attendance between men and women.

in addition to looking at this current data I've been thinking about the death of David Stern. He was a huge advocate for women's basketball and was critical and prodding the NBA to help with the formation and supported the WNBA.

Over that 20 years we've seen wonderful athletes on the women's side perform at a very high level in the WNBA. But it's also apparent over that time that there has not materialized a great deal of interest among the greater society. This is reflected both in the number of WNBA franchises and the attendance of those franchises

At a time when most of our fellows in the United States have demonstrated little or declining interest in women's sports those of us that follow women's basketball have greater opportunities than ever before. With the advent of ESPN, streaming, and the proliferation of media sites the opportunity to watch women's basketball had increased significantly. However that opportunity has not been used by most sports fans.

The attendance figures below are an indirect measure and reflection that I think shows the wide chasm between those who watch men's basketball and those of us who watch women's. So rather than discrimination the difference in opportunity, working conditions, and salary is a result of the choices that spectators have freely made over the last 20 years. While most of us lament the lack of support it's one that was freely made by fans just as we have to freedom now to take advantage of opportunities to watch the women's game.

They're just not enough of us.

Home Attendence
*14655​

Women
ASUOregon
OSU
UArizona76805694
Men
ASUCreighton

Texas Southern

UArizonasell out*sell out*

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the team ASU has those attendance numbers for those high level games are hard to understand. ASU fans DO NOT DESERVE THAT TEAM,

Reaction Score
ASUs attendance has been consistent over the years . . . relatively low. The attendance at ASU represents I think a reflection of attendance at all women's basketball games.

ASU's team could be transplanted to any number of other municipal areas and the attendance would be very similar.

UConn, South Carolina, Notre Dame are exceptions when it comes to fan support. I think there are over 300 college programs with women's basketball programs and ASU's attendance is probably in the top quarter.

In addition to season tickets at ASU I also have season tickets at Northern Arizona University. Different level of basketball but due to construction they're playing their games in the Wckiup Dome the football stadium. So out of a possible attendance of 10,000 NAU regularly drawers 200 to 300. That would represent the bottom 10% of the college landscape. I also think Flagstaff is probably the same size as Corvallis.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The Oregon wbb team is currently outdrawing the men (whose ranking has been top-tenish for most of the season): 9,836/game vs. 7,341. The former will go up a bit after the Stanford and Oregon State games (as of 1/11 the first was 800 short of a sellout--12,400 is the capacity; the second was already there).

Reaction Score
The Oregon wbb team is currently outdrawing the men (whose ranking has been top-tenish for most of the season): 9,836/game vs. 7,341. The former will go up a bit after the Stanford and Oregon State games (as of 1/11 the first was 800 short of a sellout--12,400 is the capacity; the second was already there).
I need to add Oregon and Oregon State to that very short list of high attendance women's basketball programs. I did meet a couple from Eugene Friday night who amazed at the quality of seats they were able to get at Desert Financial Arena to watch their team play.

Congrats to the communities in Oregon that support their women's basketball teams. They are part of a tiny sample size that makeup the exception that proves the rule.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ADUs attendance has been consistent over the years . . . relatively low. The attendance at ASU represents I think a reflection of attendance at all women's basketball games.

ASU's team could be transplanted to any number of other municipal areas and the attendance would be very similar.

UConn, South Carolina, Notre Dame are exceptions when it comes to fan support. I think there are over 300 college programs with women's basketball programs and ASU's attendance is probably in the top quarter.

In addition to season tickets at ASU I also have season tickets at Northern Arizona University. Different level of basketball but due to construction they're playing their games in the Wckiup Dome the football stadium. So out of a possible attendance of 10,000 NAU regularly drawers 200 to 300. That would represent the bottom 10% of the college landscape. I also think Flagstaff is probably the same size as Corvallis.
Oh my attendance challenged colleague, what is it you are trying to state? I have all the women’s attendance figures by team, conference and conference tournaments for the last 7 years and can speak directly to your generic comments, some of which are interesting.
What specifically are you trying to say? I mean UofA has the 3rd best support and ASU has the 5th best support of fans in the PAC12 these past years. NAU ranked 322 of 351 last year. They were second worst last year to Sacramento and well behind Montana and Montana State of the Big Sky. Effort to induce fans, success of the team, dynamic personalities of the coaches all feed into fan attendance. You can tell a lot about the commitment of the various schools just by logging on to the schools website and trying to find data.
Let me know what points you want to make and I can send you the data but at the moment I am not sure of where you are trying to lead us.
Kind regards,
DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So, the NCAA of course has data on attendance by sport by year by sport.

A poster on the thread was disappointed by ASU attendance this last weekend. But, ASU was 41st in attendance among D1 schools last year, placing them in the top 15% of D1 schools for attendance.

The in person data paints a clear picture - men's basketball at all levels has three times the in person attendance as women. At mega programs the ratio falls to two times.

I wonder how this translates into revenue and what it might say about the largest part of the audience - TV and media streamers. We know that at the professional level, women have much worse working conditions and pay (10% on average?) compared to men and the argument is that this difference is due to revenue. That being the case, revenue must increase exponentially with viewership.

Lots of interesting info in the NCAA data.

For Women

For Men

WomenMen
Total-teams (ave.attendance)1091 (770)1071 (2021)
D1 (ave.attendance)349 (1583) 351 (4693)
Total - (ave.attendance) 20101037 (800)1033 (2303)
Top 5 schoolsSouth Carolina 10000+
Iowa State 9000+
Louisville 9000+
UConn 8000+
Miss State 8000+
Kentucky 21000+
Syracuse 21000+
North Carolina 18000+
Wisconsin 17000+
Creighton 17000+
Arizona State41st 303940+ 10000+

Reaction Score
You'll be interested in the NCAA attendance data in my previous post. Oregon (and presumably OSU) women
have bucked the trend of declining attendance in both men and women's basketball. Oregon women in 2018 drew 8000+ and OSU women drew almost 6000 on average, compared the 8000+ and 5000+ for the men.

Reaction Score
In these kinds of discussions I always like to mention Iowa State whose WBB attendance
consistently ranks in the top 5 in the country year after year, despite the fact that the
Cyclones have never gone farther than the Elite 8 (once, I think) in the tournament.

Maybe there's nothing else to do in Ames, but well done anyway.

Reaction Score
In these kinds of discussions I always like to mention Iowa State whose WBB attendance
consistently ranks in the top 5 in the country year after year, despite the fact that the
Cyclones have never gone farther than the Elite 8 (once, I think) in the tournament.

Maybe there's nothing else to do in Ames, but well done anyway.
I grew up in Iowa and know how strong that women's basketball is in that state. I was however surprised at Iowa State's consistent top 5 ranking in average attendance.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Even with Duke WCBB fielding the worst team in a generation... they still ranked 27th last season. Attendance has plummeted under Mrs. McCallie's watch.

Reaction Score
So, the NCAA of course has data on attendance by sport by year by sport.

A poster on the thread was disappointed by ASU attendance this last weekend. But, ASU was 41st in attendance among D1 schools last year, placing them in the top 15% of D1 schools for attendance.

The in person data paints a clear picture - men's basketball at all levels has three times the in person attendance as women. At mega programs the ratio falls to two times.

I wonder how this translates into revenue and what it might say about the largest part of the audience - TV and media streamers. We know that at the professional level, women have much worse working conditions and pay (10% on average?) compared to men and the argument is that this difference is due to revenue. That being the case, revenue must increase exponentially with viewership.

Lots of interesting info in the NCAA data.

For Women

For Men

WomenMen
Total-teams (ave.attendance)1091 (770)1071 (2021)
D1 (ave.attendance)349 (1583) 351 (4693)
Total - (ave.attendance) 20101037 (800)1033 (2303)
Top 5 schoolsSouth Carolina 10000+
Iowa State 9000+
Louisville 9000+
UConn 8000+
Miss State 8000+
Kentucky 21000+
Syracuse 21000+
North Carolina 18000+
Wisconsin 17000+
Creighton 17000+
Arizona State41st 303940+ 10000+
I posted disappointment with ASU support for those two games. When your team is at home facing top level competition and your team has even a remote possibility to win, they deserve the support of their fans. For fans to turn out for cupcake men’s games and not do so for top level WBB games indicates a real problem for WBB future. I watched both those games (not live but recorded) and they were excellent entertainment. Not sure what can be done to attract ASU fans but the college needs to do something to get the fans behind the team.

Reaction Score
I posted disappointment with ASU support for those two games. When your team is at home facing top level competition and your team has even a remote possibility to win, they deserve the support of their fans. For fans to turn out for cupcake men’s games and not do so for top level WBB games indicates a real problem for WBB future. I watched both those games (not live but recorded) and they were excellent entertainment. Not sure what can be done to attract ASU fans but the college needs to do something to get the fans behind the team.
Like you I enjoyed watching both games. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Desert Financial Center and join with the fans who were there on that special night and afternoon. It was amazing!

As you said the two games were outstanding entertainment.

The attendance at those two games surpassed by 70% the average attendance for women's D1 games during the 2018 season. While I wish the building was full the attendance was relatively good.

I'm not sure any institution can dictate the choices of the members of the community. Tempe like the majority of municipalities in the United States strongly favors men's basketball over women's basketball. The NCAA data on attendance I provided earlier in this thread suggest that this is a long-term reality.

ASU like many institutions of higher education has embraced multiculturalism, diversity, and valuing of traditionally neglected and marginalized groups including women. There are 55,000 students that are on the Tempe campus for ASU. Student tickets are no monetary cost. My season ticket general admission seat cost per game is $3.27. I'm not sure that there's anything that ASU can do to stimulate or change the preferences of sports fans.

Coach Charlize Turner Thorne has been a tireless advocate for women's basketball in her time at ASU and before that at NAU. She recruits woman of high character and involves them in service in the community. The team works to be visible as possible.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Note also that all of those teams have been very good year in, year out, for many years, and none of those three teams is in a major metropolitan area the way ASU is - there are lots of things to do in Phoenix in a way that is not as true for Storrs/Hartford, Columbia, and South Bend, especially in January/February, which are a few of the only months when it's enjoyable to spend the day outside in Phoenix. The other three could also be said to varying degrees to be university towns, which tend to gather more support for their schools. That doesn't explain the men's/women's differential, but it does explain the differential between ASU and those consistently top tier programs.

Reaction Score
Note also that all of those teams have been very good year in, year out, for many years, and none of those three teams is in a major metropolitan area the way ASU is - there are lots of things to do in Phoenix in a way that is not as true for Storrs/Hartford, Columbia, and South Bend, especially in January/February, which are a few of the only months when it's enjoyable to spend the day outside in Phoenix. The other three could also be said to varying degrees to be university towns, which tend to gather more support for their schools. That doesn't explain the men's/women's differential, but it does explain the differential between ASU and those consistently top tier programs.
I think you raise a really important point. The Phoenix metropolitan area is represented in all of the four major sports NFL, Major league baseball, NBA, NHL as well as WNBA.

During this time of year snowbirds flock to the valley of the Sun to play golf. During basketball season fall through winter there really is a tremendous amount of entertainment options available both in and out of sports.

The total market or demand for sports entertainment is not infinite so I think you may be very much on point when you talk about the various options that residents of Phoenix have.

It's also worth noting that whilel ASU women's attendance at basketball games is disappointing it's twice the national average. Further while CTT has had great teams we have not had anything on the order of South Carolina, Connecticut, or even Iowa State.

As the Oregon schools demonstrate in smaller markets with a very successful program attendance can increase. Although I suspect it cannot increase sustainably to the level of men's basketball.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My biggest question is why women aren’t supporting women’s sports in larger numbers. I know a lot of men who point blank claim (incorrectly) that WBB is too slow, so they don’t attend. Personally, I think a lot of sexism is involved in that. What excuse are women using for not attending?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hold on there for a second. As a long time fund raiser for both my alma mater and one of my sons athletic program, dynamics have significant parts to play. Men, by and large. fondly remember their college days and linking to their schools sports, primarily football and basketball are ways to stay in touch with the school and their friends, teammates, fraternity brothers and the like. Women by and large have moved on in their lives with marriages, children, jobs, new priorities and will follow their husbands bonding/school background. I can tell you any number of stories of women athletes who got full rides yet still don't contribute even $10 a year to the program that gave them an education. Women financial supporters are rare. Also for @azfan, WCBB is not a money/revenue sport. It is the most watched of the women's sports but it does not make money. That said, attendance for D1 is on the rise. The top programs attendences have fluctuated mostly down but overall, the numbers showing the teams in D1 have increased and average attendance has increased.
1578984210677.png

Reaction Score
Hold on there for a second. As a long time fund raiser for both my alma mater and one of my sons athletic program, dynamics have significant parts to play. Men, by and large. fondly remember their college days and linking to their schools sports, primarily football and basketball are ways to stay in touch with the school and their friends, teammates, fraternity brothers and the like. Women by and large have moved on in their lives with marriages, children, jobs, new priorities and will follow their husbands bonding/school background. I can tell you any number of stories of women athletes who got full rides yet still don't contribute even $10 a year to the program that gave them an education. Women financial supporters are rare. Also for @azfan, WCBB is not a money/revenue sport. It is the most watched of the women's sports but it does not make money. That said, attendance for D1 is on the rise. The top programs attendences have fluctuated mostly down but overall, the numbers showing the teams in D1 have increased and average attendance has increased.
View attachment 49923
If your assertion that women do not support their colleges is true, then it would appear that schools have a long term problem on the horizon. About 56 to 58 percent of bachelor’s degrees today are earned by women, with similar numbers for masters and doctoral degrees. That number is about the same advantage men held 50 years ago and might still be increasing. It would appear that the future fundraising will be in jeopardy as older male grads move out of the workforce.

No issue lives in a vacuum and this one is compounded by the fact that despite equal education, women still make less. It is one reason I don’t donate to my school, although there are many others. I am generous with causes that matter to me (homelessness, hunger, domestic abuse, children). In general, why would women donate to an institution that left them with greater debts than male students and less capacity to earn? You can correctly say it isn’t the schools fault, but it is still the reality women face. It will be interesting to see how institutions change to adapt.

Reaction Score
My biggest question is why women aren’t supporting women’s sports in larger numbers. I know a lot of men who point blank claim (incorrectly) that WBB is too slow, so they don’t attend. Personally, I think a lot of sexism is involved in that. What excuse are women using for not attending?
I don’t know about an ‘excuse’, but women are still the major caretakers of both children and aging parents. Here is my reality. When I was single with no children, I attended 6 to 10 games a year often traveling great distances to do so. I went to regionals and 2 Final Fours (one where my school wasn’t playing). Then I married a man with equally shared custody of three school aged children. All of my time became about raising a family and transporting children to and from various events. Now the kids are grown, but I will spend today advocating for my 86-year-old mother. She went to a rehab center after 10 days in the hospital with a viral infection. They are intent on keeping her longer than she needs to be there so that they can milk every Medicare rehab dollar they can get. While she was in the hospital, I spent most of my time there to make sure she was cared for, so now I’m behind on my full-time job as a senior data analyst. Life doesn’t leave a lot of time to do anything for myself. Most of the women I know who have resources and could spend them attending sporting events are in similar situations.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your mother, and best wishes for a swift recovery, @Puppy Love. You make some excellent points that are unfortunately too often overlooked among sports fans.
I would wonder if there's been any research comparing consumption of entertainment by gender. I would be particularly interested in literature that attempts to determine if there's a difference in the amount of sports entertainment consumed by gender.

If there's a gender difference in the appetite for sports entertainment by gender that might explain a part of the attendance difference in women's basketball. I know that I also enjoy watching women's tennis and women's soccer. However I'm retired.

There is research that shows that women who are in a relationship or married to a man and work spend more time combined on work, household activities, and child-rearing then does their male partner. So for that segment of females: those married to a male with children it's entirely predictable that women would not watch as much sports entertainment just do men due to a time constraint.

I would guess there are other factors that would impact gender differences in consuming sports entertainment however. As you point out there are now more women in college than men. While this is only been going on for a relatively short time there may already be an impact in terms of career choice. That is if women are in occupations that require a college degree while a greater percentage of men are not that may impact the number of hours worked by women. That being the case they have less opportunity to view sports entertainment.

In terms of a younger demographics ages 15-29 I believe I recall reading some research that said 25% of males in that category spend significant amounts of their time in front of a screen. If part of that screen time is involved in consuming sports entertainment and their preference is for male rather than female sports that may also be a contribution.

So rather than just individual preference there be maybe a number of other factors that are shaping the difference and consumption of sports entertainment by gender.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I other part of the equation is the lack of student support for WBB, including at schools with higher attendance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom