Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Attendance

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. With lower interest in WBB, timing of the tournament and poor placement of teams, it's a recipe for disaster.
Poor placement of teams?

Reaction Score
Poor placement of teams?

Travel for teams & fans. ie., Stanford & Texas to Lexington;South Carolina & Quinnipiac to Stockton. They aren't making it affordable for a school's fans to attend if they send teams across the country.

Reaction Score
Travel for teams & fans. ie., Stanford & Texas to Lexington;South Carolina & Quinnipiac to Stockton. They aren't making it affordable for a school's fans to attend if they send teams across the country.

Well, the seeding rules call for teams not putting conference opponents in the same region (in the top 4). Would you be in favor of going back to teams having to beat an opponent a 3rd or 4th time to get to the final 4?

As for Quinnipiac, the 12 seeds were Penn, Q, W Kentucky, and Dayton. Someone was going to have to go West. There just arent enough teams out that way.

Reaction Score
Well, the seeding rules call for teams not putting conference opponents in the same region (in the top 4). Would you be in favor of going back to teams having to beat an opponent a 3rd or 4th time to get to the final 4?

As for Quinnipiac, the 12 seeds were Penn, Q, W Kentucky, and Dayton. Someone was going to have to go West. There just arent enough teams out that way.

I really don't know the answer. We are seeing lower attendance each year & unless something is done it will only continue. I don't think we can blame individual sites. This is a women's basketball problem.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno touched on that in his press conference.

Paraphrasing, the problem with women's basketball is that it wants to be like men's basketball. Eventually it'll wake up and realize it's not like men's basketball.

My own comments I think he is suggesting that we need to find our own way not mimic what works for the men.

Reaction Score
My own comments I think he is suggesting that we need to find our own way not mimic what works for the men.

Agreed, which is why I thought the move to pre-determined opening round sites a few years ago was a disaster. Thankfully they've abandoned that.
The continued use of west coast sites every year is a problem. Putting a regional in the west *over* represents the region based on number of schools and # of p5 schools. It needs to be every other year at most.
There needs to be a regional in the South.

The idea of having fewer regional locations I suppose is worth a look. But out west in Las Vegas (as Antonelli wants) is a mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom