Attendance for WBC | The Boneyard

Attendance for WBC

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
OK! I apologize to someone. I was preparing this data to respond to a thread/post, but now I don't remember which one. On the bright side I did recognize the face in the mirror this morning. :confused:

It would be interesting to see if other WBC programs are experiencing the same trend - flatline to descending. I suspect post A'ja Wilson, So. Car. will experience a descending attendance and not unlike Tenn's. In any case this is not exciting news for the WCB programs. I suspect they know this. Outside of the hardcore few women's basketball does not seem to have much appeal. Maybe the TV ratings are trending upwards.
upload_2017-11-9_17-26-32.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice chart. So this is average attendance for home games, right? Looks like most of these programs are holding their own at a time when home theatre, more TV coverage options, and an aging population are making it a difficult proposition to get people out of the house. If Mississippi State were plotted on there too, I suspect it would also look something like the South Carolina line.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nice chart. So this is average attendance for home games, right? Looks like most of these programs are holding their own at a time when home theatre, more TV coverage options, and an aging population are making it a difficult proposition to get people out of the house. If Mississippi State were plotted on there too, I suspect it would also look something like the South Carolina line.
MissSt's attendance trend line is upwards but not like SoCar. Did notice some data for overall attendance for a team's home, away, and neutral sites. May graph it as well looks interesting. Can't find data for 2010.
upload_2017-11-9_21-7-51.png

Reaction Score
Great stuff, SVC. I think home games is the right indicator. Interesting that everything is converging around 2017. I'm going to have to get to a few more home games this year to help our Huskies pull ahead!

Also interesting was another post today about how the UConn WCBB ratings on SNY were off the chart last year, and how good the relationship is between Geno and the network.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Great: thanks so much!

Don't know why Iowa State go into this comparison, but it's attendance is pretty impressive.

Thank you!
I started with the top 6 in 2017 average attendance. Iowa State was in the top 6 teams based on 2017 average attendance. Then I noticed they are ALWAYS in the top 6, well at least back to 2009-10 season. I suspect even further back. I guess winter weather does not deter the Iowa State fans. They were either 3rd, 4th, or 5th highest relative to average attendance. They are a faithful lot!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thank you!
I started with the top 6 in 2017 average attendance. Iowa State was in the top 6 teams based on 2017 average attendance. Then I noticed they are ALWAYS in the top 6, well at least back to 2009-10 season. I suspect even further back. I guess winter weather does not deter the Iowa State fans. They were either 3rd, 4th, or 5th highest relative to average attendance. They are a faithful lot!
There isn't much else in Ames, Iowa. Rutgers' first NCAA under Vivian was at Iowa State (we advanced to the Sweet 16, beating Iowa State) and they were already doing well with their attendance. Riding the glass-sided elevator in the hotel, looked out the window, saw a large building with the sign "Bull Semen Institute". All you need to know.

Reaction Score
Thank you!

SVCBeercats- - -Iowa State has been near the top of attendance rankings for about 10 years at least!
HC Bill Fennelly has a LIFETIME contract! His son is one of his Assts. Here's some more info- - - -

Iowa State (1995–present)
On July 10, 1995, Iowa State hired Fennelly as women's basketball head coach.[5] Iowa State had only five winning seasons in the 22 previous seasons.[4] As of the 2016–17 season, Fennelly has led Iowa State to 17 appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including Elite Eight qualifications in 1999 and 2009 and the Sweet Sixteen in 2000, 2001, and 2010.[5] Iowa State has spent considerable time in the Associated Press national poll, including 34 weeks in the Top 10.[5] On March 23, 2007, Iowa State extended Fennelly through 2019 in a contract worth $10.6 million.[7]
Attendance also grew during Fennelly's tenure from the hundreds prior to his hiring to nearly 10,000 in the 2010s. In 2004, Iowa State had its first-ever sellout in a WNIT and NIT doubleheader against Saint Joseph's.[5] In the 2011–12 season, Iowa State averaged an attendance of 10,125, third in the nation behind Tennessee and Louisville.[8]
Fennelly was a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year Award in 2001, 2002, and 2005. The Women's Basketball Coaches Association named him the District 5 Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2005. In 1998, Fennelly finished as the 1998 runner-up behind Pat Summitt of Tennessee for the Associated Press Women’s Coach of the Year award.[5]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom