Atlanta Claims Jones; Waives Massengale, Johnson | The Boneyard

Atlanta Claims Jones; Waives Massengale, Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dream claim Jones; waive Massengale, Johnson
By Rene' Kennedy on May 9, 2016, 3:05p

The Atlanta Dream have added Jordan Jones, the team announced today. Jones comes to Atlanta after being waived by the Chicago Sky. She was the No. 34 overall pick in the 2016 WNBA Draft by the Sky.

Jones is a point guard out of Texas A&M. While there, she was a two-time SEC Defensive Player of the Year and is the Aggies' program single-season assist record holder with 261 during the 2013-2014 season. She is the third all-time in the program's career assist leader (707) and seventh in steals (224).

From 2013-2016 Jones led the SEC in total assist each of those seasons and was a 2015 AP All-American.

While picking up Jones, the Dream have waived Niya Johnson, their 2016 draft pick (no. 28 overall) and Ariel Massengale who was drafted in 2015 (no. 29 overall).

This pick up of Jones could be very beneficial on their roster, as the Dream traded their All-Star point guard Shoni Shimmel a few days ago to the New York Liberty.

(I make no apologies for breaking with the author for the use of a singular verb with a collective noun 'The Atlanta Dream' in my title. I'm American and was educated in northeastern American schools. While the Atlanta Dream is comprised of numerous players, coaches, and others, it is still one singular team, which is a collective noun, and gets THE appropriate singular verb.)

Reaction Score
Dream claim Jones; waive Massengale, Johnson
By Rene' Kennedy on May 9, 2016, 3:05p

The Atlanta Dream have added Jordan Jones, the team announced today. Jones comes to Atlanta after being waived by the Chicago Sky. She was the No. 34 overall pick in the 2016 WNBA Draft by the Sky.

Jones is a point guard out of Texas A&M. While there, she was a two-time SEC Defensive Player of the Year and is the Aggies' program single-season assist record holder with 261 during the 2013-2014 season. She is the third all-time in the program's career assist leader (707) and seventh in steals (224).

From 2013-2016 Jones led the SEC in total assist each of those seasons and was a 2015 AP All-American.

While picking up Jones, the Dream have waived Niya Johnson, their 2016 draft pick (no. 28 overall) and Ariel Massengale who was drafted in 2015 (no. 29 overall).

This pick up of Jones could be very beneficial on their roster, as the Dream traded their All-Star point guard Shoni Shimmel a few days ago to the New York Liberty.

(I make no apologies for breaking with the author for the use of a singular verb with a collective noun 'The Atlanta Dream' in my title. I'm American and was educated in northeastern American schools. While the Atlanta Dream is comprised of numerous players, coaches, and others, it is still one singular team, which is a collective noun, and gets THE appropriate singular verb.)
Wow. You've singlehandedly given us the courage to stand up and say things like "Manchester United IS a premier soccer team " and if you don't like the singular IS just bug*er off!"

Reaction Score
Wow. You've singlehandedly given us the courage to stand up and say things like "Manchester United IS a premier soccer team " and if you don't like the singular IS just bug*er off!"
LOL! Well.....yes, but not in the U.K. I don't believe most Brits have any idea what a collective noun is. As the saying goes; "We're two countries separated by a common language."

In reality though, to my chagrin, the British "ARE" is catching on and slowly replacing the American "IS" here in the states. Ugh! :mad:

Hmmm, maybe this is what Bill Clinton was referring to all those years ago. :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Massengale didnt select UConn like Dream's Tiffany Hayes.

I knew Ariel was a long shot after missing last season with an injury and competing with all those "shooting guards"

BTW Angel was getting a piggyback ride from "Gino" so thats the connection.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

I have seen posters on this site chastise others for improper grammar for using "is" instead of "are" in the same situation. Apparently people seldom consult style guides, which will tell you that it is acceptable to use either "is" or "are." I agree with JavaMan that the use of the British "ARE" is steadily gaining ground and is now made to look like the only correct choice, and the use of "is" as the choice of the uneducated masses.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Apparently people seldom consult style guides,
Really? Wow, you find out something new everyday. :cool:

cg-uoq3xaaab4wp.jpg

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Really? Wow, you find out something new everyday. :cool:

cg-uoq3xaaab4wp.jpg
Golly, are you the one who keeps using that Casablanca image on this board?:eek:

Grandstanding much?:cool:

Perhaps you only meant to be a “smarty pants,”;) but semantically, I did not state it as fact, only that it appears or seems that way (note the word “apparently”), thereby making it an opinion. But, if you want to take an opinion as fact, and learn something from it, you’re welcome to it.:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Golly, are you the one who keeps using that Casablanca image on this board?:eek:

Grandstanding much?:cool:

Perhaps you only meant to be a “smarty pants,”;) but semantically, I did not state it as fact, only that it appears or seems that way (note the word “apparently”), thereby making it an opinion. But, if you want to take an opinion as fact, and learn something from it, you’re welcome to it.:rolleyes:
Nah, I think that's the first time I've used it. But, yes I have seen it on here a couple of times before.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dream also just traded for another guard - Clarendon - from Indiana, giving up a 2017 draft pick. They have 5 cuts to make and have 9 guards in camp plus McCoughtry so likely thee guards being cut in the next two days and maybe four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom