Athletic Releases Mid-Season All-America Teams: Watkins, Hidalgo, Morrow All on 1st Team. No Reese (Yet) | The Boneyard

Athletic Releases Mid-Season All-America Teams: Watkins, Hidalgo, Morrow All on 1st Team. No Reese (Yet)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Subhead: Caitlin Clark is virtually in a (voting) category by herself; and, Morrow nudged Paige Bueckers in votes (21-20). to nab the last 1st team slot. Ayoka Lee, despite missing several games, is still a second-teamer.
Will be interesting to see how several players fare in the 2nd half of the season with the teeth of conference play.

The votes were taken Sunday night, which certainly helped cement the case for, say, Hannah Hidalgo.

1st Team:
  • Caitlin Clark, Iowa, 40 votes
  • JuJu Watkins, USC,32 votes
  • Cameron Brink, Stanford, 30 votes
  • Hannah Hidalgo, Notre Dame, 28 votes
  • Aneesah Morrow, LSU, 21 votes
2nd Team:
  • Paige Bueckers, UConn, 20 votes
  • Alissa Pili, Utah Utes, 17 votes
  • Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina, 13 votes
  • Elizabeth Kitley, Virginia Tech, 10 votes
  • Ayoka Lee, Kansas State, 7 votes

Other receiving Votes:
Receiving votes: Charisma Osborne, UCLA; Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana

Some snippets:

Hannah Hidalgo (since she's been front and center so much recently):

Stats: 24.4 ppg, 5.1 spg, 5.6 apg, 39.3% 3-pt FG

Another freshman guard (besides JuJu Watkins) getting it done on both ends of the court, Hidalgo has seamlessly stepped in as the floor general for a team with title aspirations. She’s third among power conference players in scoring and first in steals with a bullet. Only two players in the past 15 years have averaged more steals per game, and they played for Lamar and Loyola (Maryland), not nearly the competition of an ACC schedule. From Paris at the start of the season to Storrs last week, no stage has been too big for Hidalgo.

An Explanation As To Why Bueckers Is on the 2nd Team (all of one vote behind Morrow)

Bueckers is having one of the most efficient scoring seasons of all time — and on high volume. Her shooting percentages are even better than her freshman national player of the year season. But Bueckers’ playmaking has dialed back a bit as she’s shifted positions from shooting guard to power forward, and her rebounding hasn’t improved correspondingly. Though Bueckers has dominated Big East competition, she’s left a little bit to be desired in games against top-ranked opponents. After excelling against NC State in her second game of the season, albeit in a loss, Bueckers has made only 35 percent of her field goals against current top-15 opponents (UCLA, Texas and Notre Dame). As the field around her has improved, those are the margins that left Bueckers just off the first team. — Merchant

Who Could Become All-American by Season's End?

In short, lots of people! The Pac-12 could have a number of other honorees by season’s end, including Colorado guard Jaylyn Sherrod, Oregon State forward Raegan Beers, Stanford forward Kiki Iriafen, and UCLA guard Charisma Osborne and center Lauren Betts. South Carolina’s Te-Hina Paopao and Raven Johnson were tough omissions, as was Reese at LSU. Clark was the lone Big Ten player who made our list at the halfway point, but Indiana center Mackenzie Holmes has had another uberproductive season and could be on the first or second team by season’s end. It wouldn’t be shocking to see mid-major standouts such as UNLV center Desi-Rae Young, Colorado State guard McKenna Hofschild or Gonzaga forward Yvonne Ejim receive votes.

Full Article:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PB should have easily received the second most votes in this overall meaningless poll. A first five of Clark, PB, Brink, Watkins and Pilli seems the most logical. I could live with Hidalgo taking Watkins place on first team as well but PB and Pilli are better players than Morrow, who is a terrific one herself.

Reaction Score
PB should have easily received the second most votes in this overall meaningless poll. A first five of Clark, PB, Brink, Watkins and Pilli seems the most logical. I could live with Hidalgo taking Watkins place on first team as well but PB and Pilli are better players than Morrow, who is a terrific one herself.
And yet, she didn't... those performances against UCLA, Texas and ND are holding her back, as explained above. Hidalgo shone in a sort of head to head with Paige, while Paige didn't.

It's been unlike Paige to struggle against top opponents, but struggle she has. I'd expect her to rally with a big game against South Carolina.

Reaction Score
The fact that Edwards is no where to be found is a travesty
I don't like her. Never have. Didn't like her when she was a mere recruit.

But I have to agree with you.

oops. Sitting at home taking pain pills while waiting for a kidney stone. Using my cell phone and thought I had used the blue font

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting to call out Paige’s poor shooting performances against three teams meanwhile Juju Watkins (who I’ll admit has been excellent this year) is shooting 35.9% from the floor and 20.8% from three in Pac-12 play. Again, she’s been phenomenal this year, but she’s scoring 24.8 PPG on 24.4 FGA during conference play.

Reaction Score
Interesting to call out Paige’s poor shooting performances against three teams meanwhile Juju Watkins (who I’ll admit has been excellent this year) is shooting 35.9% from the floor and 20.8% from three in Pac-12 play. Again, she’s been phenomenal this year, but she’s scoring 24.8 PPG on 24.4 FGA during conference play.
Agreed... no argument here. JuJu needs to demonstrate better stuff in the big games before she's as heralded as Paige was a freshman. Yet that's not relevant to my point about Paige.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't like her. Never have. Didn't like her when she was a mere recruit.

But I have to agree with you.
No accounting for taste, I guess. Other than Boston, Edwards is the one big whom across every dimension - personality, talent, grit, development - I've eyed jealously for the past few years. Fortunately Stanford is not in need of bigs, but she's absolutely one of my favorites of the post-COVID era.

Reaction Score
Actually, Hidalgo is having the better season as compared to Watkins, so no issue there for me. Reese would be deserving of taking Morrow’s spot if she had not missed time, she is LSU’s best player. Morrow would slip to 2nd team and I think knock Cardoso off the list, just my opinion. Paige’s lack of rebounds playing at the 4 is the reason she is 2nd team, which seems fair tbh, who would she supplant on the first team, JuJu? And Holmes has the numbers to be 2nd team, she is having a better year than Cardoso and Lee, again in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JuJu is a major talent, but her coaches need to help her with shot selection. JuJu is so incredible in other areas of the game, but JuJu's offensive efficiency (in PAC-12 play) has not been very good. JuJu often over dribbles and you can see the result in her Assist/Turnover ratio. If JuJu was playing for a coach like Geno I believe her stats would be off the charts good.

Reaction Score
And yet, she didn't... those performances against UCLA, Texas and ND are holding her back, as explained above. Hidalgo shone in a sort of head to head with Paige, while Paige didn't.

It's been unlike Paige to struggle against top opponents, but struggle she has. I'd expect her to rally with a big game against South Carolina.
I agree those games were rough for PB but couldn't the same be said for Watkins as she's faced tougher competition? She's been terrific as a freshman but the second most votes overall? I just don't see it. Also wouldn't it be fair to look at the ND losses to see how Hidalgo performed?

I don't subscribe to the Athletic and can't read the article so all I know is the excerpts posted and am just playing a little devil's advocate this morning anyway. Watkins and Hidalgo have been outstanding this year but PB has as well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I'm a huge Paige fan. Love watching her play and have zounds of respect for what she's done in so many aspects..

Due to UConn's extreme personnel demands, there's almost a Catch-22 situation to Paige in her current situation.
The team needs her to fill a "4" role, including rebounding, defense on somebody bigger and getting knocked around the lane. Yet after that, she's also asked to change clothes and become superwoman on the offensive end.

Not only score, but direct the offense at times and lead. Depending on the match-ups, it's not only tough, but has to be exhausting. OK, on Saturday, it's let's guard 6'3" (and solid) Maddy Westbeld most of the night, but once Nika's out I'll help out on this hurricane, err Hidalgo. Then I cross mid-court on offense and have to deal with the "Citron effect," wherein a person my size and athletic ability is shadowing me every move. Tough stuff.

(Actually, Soni herself went through this after Olivia Miles went down last year, when she was playing the 1, 2 and 3 roles at various times for 40 minutes).

In spite of all this, she and Aaliyah Edwards are doing spectacularly despite the constant yeoman demands.
Let's see how the last weeks of the season play out...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I'm a huge Paige fan. Love watching her play and have zounds of respect for what she's done in so many aspects..

Due to UConn's extreme personnel demands, there's almost a Catch-22 situation to Paige in her current situation.
The team needs her to fill a "4" role, including rebounding, defense on somebody bigger and getting knocked around the lane. Yet after that, she's also asked to change clothes and become superwoman on the offensive end.

Not only score, but direct the offense at times and lead. Depending on the match-ups, it's not only tough, but has to be exhausting. OK, on Saturday, it's let's guard 6'3" (and solid) Maddy Westbeld most of the night, but once Nika's out I'll help out on this hurricane, err Hidalgo. Then I cross mid-court on offense and have to deal with the "Citron effect," wherein a person my size and athletic ability is shadowing me every move. Tough stuff.

(Actually, Soni herself went through this after Olivia Miles went down last year, when she was playing the 1, 2 and 3 roles at various times for 40 minutes).

In spite of all this, she and Aaliyah Edwards are doing spectacularly despite the constant yeoman demands.
Let's see how the last weeks of the season play out...
Wow, Dillon77, did you take this admirable writing skill with you to South Bend, did you acquire at ND, or have you worked on since leaving college?;)

Well said on all counts, particularly about Sonia, one of my favorite non-UConn players...

Reaction Score
I told y'all Paige wasn't going to be a first team AA this year. She's not at that level after missing so much time.

Reaction Score
I told y'all Paige wasn't going to be a first team AA this year. She's not at that level after missing so much time.

Perhaps, but I dont see her losing out to Morrow. And not sure about Watkins.

Clark-Brink-Hidalgo seem clear to me.
A bit of a jumble after that.

If SC remains overwhelming 1, Cardoso or Pao-Pao should get strong consideration.

Edwards is hurt by UConn's overall performance. Tough to have 2 players in 1st/2nd team when you're not ranked in the top 5/10.

Reaction Score
I know this is mid-season, but AA recognition should come after the NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I dont see her losing out to Morrow. And not sure about Watkins.

Clark-Brink-Hidalgo seem clear to me.
A bit of a jumble after that.

If SC remains overwhelming 1, Cardoso or Pao-Pao should get strong consideration.

Edwards is hurt by UConn's overall performance. Tough to have 2 players in 1st/2nd team when you're not ranked in the top 5/10.
We have to be honest with ourselves. She's not playing at that level. She's far too passive, not just is games like Notre Dame, but even regular Big East games to deserve it, imo.

Reaction Score
The Athletic report on women’s basketball in general and UConn in particular ia atrocious. Meh is my rating of them.

Reaction Score
I know this is mid-season, but AA recognition should come after the NCAA Tournament
The Naismith Award ballots are submitted after the elite 8 and announced a few days before the Finals Four. The AP awards come before the Tournament.

Reaction Score
Not surprised. IMO, she's been often overlooked, unappreciated and highly criticized within the UCONN fanbase. I remember thinking last year how she got less press and recognition than players who were injured for the year or for long spells. It probably didn't bother her as she seems like a humble person. She's a first rounder.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Being the 2nd best player on a team that's borderline top 10 usually doesn't garner a spot on an All American list that only has 10 players (plus 2 HM).

I'm surprised Morrow is 1st team with no sign of Reese. I'd put Reese ahead of Morrow despite missing a few games. Jacy Sheldon should be on this list too.

Reaction Score
Being the 2nd best player on a team that's borderline top 10 usually doesn't garner a spot on an All American list that only has 10 players (plus 2 HM).

I'm surprised Morrow is 1st team with no sign of Reese. I'd put Reese ahead of Morrow despite missing a few games. Jacy Sheldon should be on this list too.
Is she the second best player? There is a case to be made she is the best player. I'd put her over PB right now if we were making a list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom