Athletic ranks UCONN as #13?! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Athletic ranks UCONN as #13?!

Reaction Score
Well, that's one tactic to get your articles read. lol
This is definitely clickbait. I've seen lists in different categories such as music and movies where someone purposely omit something so they can get clicks on their twitter or Instagram pages

Also, there is no way Maryland is 8th. They have no post players and also trying to incorporate 9 new players on the team.
NC State is way better than #14. UConn will drop some because of Bueckers but not that far.

Reaction Score
I agree but I think 13 is ridiculous, no way UConn is not a top 10 team. The loss of Paige is hard to stomach and I hope she can return to her NCST form. I know it will be a big job for her but I feel she is great for WBB and we need her back completely healthy.
When you lose three important seniors to graduation and then the number one player in college basketball, it's difficult to determine what kind of team you actually have............for instance, if UConn's returning front court plays well, if the freshman come in and play like seasoned vets and Nika improves her offensive production and Fudd is fully recovered from her injuries and plays to her ability, UConn could be a top two-three team.........if the returning front court struggles, the freshman play like freshman, Nika gets hurt or just can't make her shots and Azzi can't regain her form, I'm not sure UConn is even a Top fifteen team......

Reaction Score
Why does it matter?? It's not where you start. It's where you end.
It matters because truth matters! If she had ranked us fifth or sixth or even top ten, I would simply think, “well, she’s nuts, but we’ll see” . However, to rank UConn #13 is simply ludicrous! It bespeaks either willful malevolence or an ignorance so great as to make one wonder if she knows anything at all about WCBB!

Reaction Score
It matters because truth matters! If she had ranked us fifth or sixth or even top ten, I would simply think, “well, she’s nuts, but we’ll see” . However, to rank UConn #13 is simply ludicrous! It bespeaks either willful malevolence or an ignorance so great as to make one wonder if she knows anything at all about WCBB!
Willful malevolence - doubt it. Ignorance - much more likely. UConn at #13 is laughable.

BTW, I think that my Cardinals are better than #10.

Reaction Score
Do we think ND will be better than Texas/Iowa? Just curious. I think Maryland is way too high. Same for UNC. NC State/Louisville are better than them. I think UNC may be 15-20 range…?

Reaction Score

I just don’t understand. Ya think Uconn cares… nope. Preseason hasn’t even started. It’s all irrelevant

Reaction Score
I don't know if people doing these ratings consider the ability to withstand additional injuries, but from that standpoint, at least at the guard position, we are more vulnerable than most of the top ranked teams. If something happens to a big we are very well protected with 6 talented players to cover PF and C. I know some will disagree, but I consider Aubrey and Ayanna as bigs, that might be able to play some at SF.

But in terms of guards, we have quality but not quantity. Only four to cover all the minutes at three positions. That is a pretty difficult rotation to use if all four guards play in every single game. An injury to any of the four leaves us with no backup guards. We played some games last year without guard backups and I'm not sure we played like a ranked team during that stretch. For that period #13 might have been way too high. We had some players gassed playing way too many minutes when we faded in the fourth quarter, Evina had to play out of position at the point, and Aaliyah tried to be a SF as the only "guard" substitute.

That was a terrible stretch resulting from injuries to three guards. That is pretty unusual, but after Paige's injury we are only one injury to a guard away from a similar situation. The situation with Evina is similar now with Azzi. If Nika gets injured, Azzi is the full time point guard, and even if Nika is healthy Azzi will need to spell her there. If Azzi is injured Caroline or Lou will have to play the point. That is not good for any of them.

As for which big winds up playing guard if one of them is injured, the outlook I think is a little better than last year. Aaliyah struggled a great deal out of position, but I think she might not be the answer this year. Aubrey if healthy could probably do a much better job than Aaliyah did at SF. I feel she would be fine at defense and rebounding there, but would be a difficult fit on the offensive end. Ayanna might be similar in the traits she could bring there. So maybe we have two players this year that could cover SF a little better than our options last year, but it is a pretty significant potential problem.

If everybody is healthy #13 seems ridiculous to me too. But I also think it is unrealistic to assume all four of our guards will play in every game. We could easily have 5-10 games missed in total between those four. If those games are against Big East competition it probably affects the differential but not the outcome. If those games are against the difficult out of conference teams we could be in trouble.

Dorka, Amari, Aaliyah and Ice can't help with this situation. Aubrey and Ayanna might, but they could be far less effective away from their natural position. We have lots of talented players even without Paige, but no insurance at the guard position. Stay healthy we could be right near the top. If we lost another guard for the year, for example, #13 might be wildly optimistic IMO. Hope for health and Aubrey and/or Ayanna to have success at SF.

Reaction Score
The Athletic lost $6.8 million in February and March. The site lost $55 million on $65 million in revenue last year, according to the report.
They also sold the company for a valuation of close to $500 per subscriber. It’s all about growth folks.

Reaction Score
Aubrey and Ayanna can sub in at the 3 — I’ve been thinking about this prospect for awhile. What would it be like having them there? Would any team guard Aubrey on the perimeter? I suspect the answer is no, which means the lane would be effectively packed. Ayanna showed some perimeter shooting ability in high school — but will it translate to a legit threat at D1? I’m skeptical.

This feels a bit like what some folks said last week about how this or that candidate for alternate point guard “can bring the ball up the court,” as if that’s all the position entails. Same for SF — it’s a lot more than just standing out by the 3pt line. It requires being a threat to score from there, which enables slashing to the lane. Aubrey can do the slashing, but without the perimeter shooting threat there won’t be any room to slash.

On D the prospect looks a lot better. Aubrey, and probably Ayanna too, will be able to play lockdown D out there, and rotate back to rebound and offer help D. But on O, I fear this will create a 4 on 5 situation we won’t be able to sustain for more than a few minutes.

And back to the question of the point guard spot, one of the reasons Stanford lost to us was that they didn’t really have one. Wilson and Lexie Hull are almost point guards, but not quite, and it showed. And it was even worse for them when Lexie was out with the nose bleed. Sure, Haley Jones can do anything, so maybe she can run the offense. But there’s a cost to that, too. Late in the game, when we were afraid of fouling, she could bull into the paint and score practically at will. But that lineup was too slow to stop us as well. Their final run was based on 3 pointers, and they came close to a come back with that. But I think the lack of a true point guard is what did them in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another way to look at it: KK could probably make the team as Nika’s sub at point right now. And judging from the videos of Ashlynn in that recruiting thread, she could probably get minutes at the 2 right now. But I don’t think Ashlynn could play the point for us more effectively than KK.

Reaction Score
I see that NC State is ranked right behind UConn at #14....

After that double OT ESPY nominated Best Game last season in the Elite 8...the early season rematch game at UConn on November 20 should tell a lot about these two teams.

That should be a fan's game.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that UConn is a better team with Paige than without Paige. But it never ceases to amaze me how some pundits and fans continue to underestimate Geno, his staff and the other players on this roster.

Geno is clearly the best coach in the history of WBB, if not in all of basketball. His coaching staff is incredibly experienced. The ten players remaining on UConn’s roster after Paige’s injury are all exceptionally talented basketball players.

As of right now only SC appears to be a lock for the FF. Every other top team lost key players to graduation. Every coach has a difficult rebuilding job ahead of them. When March rolls around, it is far more likely that the Huskies find themselves playing in a 15th straight FF, than hanging out in the dorms watching the games on tv.
Any ranking is as irrelevant as all the speculation that was generated at this time last year. Remember when everybody was excited about how "deep" UConn was heading into the season, only to experience a season of the walking wounded? So I take the article and anything else written about the upcoming season in terms of rankings with a grain of salt and a shrug of who cares.

I look forward to the season. Of course, like many others, I'm still recovering from the news about Paige. However, like oldude stated, UConn has Geno at the helm. Without Paige, the season's outlook has to be altered, but the cupboard isn't exactly bare. Like others have alluded to, injuries will have its say on the season's prospects.

With the exception of SC and to a certain extent Stanford, most of the other top teams have either an influx of talent, a roster overhaul or the loss of 1 or 2 key players. By December, we'll have a true indication of how UConn and whether other top teams are either contenders or pretenders. But my money is on Geno and the Lady Huskies being in their customary spot.
There is no doubt that UConn is a better team with Paige than without Paige. But it never ceases to amaze me how some pundits and fans continue to underestimate Geno, his staff and the other players on this roster.

Geno is clearly the best coach in the history of WBB, if not in all of basketball. His coaching staff is incredibly experienced. The ten players remaining on UConn’s roster after Paige’s injury are all exceptionally talented basketball players.

As of right now only SC appears to be a lock for the FF. Every other top team lost key players to graduation. Every coach has a difficult rebuilding job ahead of them. When March rolls around, it is far more likely that the Huskies find themselves playing in a 15th straight FF, than hanging out in the dorms watching the games on tv.

Reaction Score
We won 4 in a row with Stewie, and every one of those years there was at least one key injury, sometimes more than one. The amount of leg braces those girls wore while winning all those titles is a bit sobering.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech and Indiana didn't make the list and I think they could be really good. Oregon got no love but I actually think in their case less may be more this season. I also think they have 2 really good freshman coming in who should be able to contribute right away. I'm sortve surprised how cool ppl are on Baylor. They did bring in two of the better forwards in the SEC. I think they had decent guard play last season and I think if Van Gytenbek gets minutes she will contribute.

I think UConn's depth even though they lost a lot this off season is somewhat underrated. I get it's only ten ppl total but everyone can really play. I think Lou, Amari, and Aubrey (if healthy) are starters. The two freshman r probably that caliber as well

Reaction Score
I mean, if UConn can't win games because of the loss of one player (regardless of who it is) then they should drop in rankings as it would be deserved.

BUT, who says UConn is going to lose games? Sure they may lose a game or two in the non-conference schedule, but to say they start at 13 is a bit much.....

Reaction Score
I mean, if UConn can't win games because of the loss of one player (regardless of who it is) then they should drop in rankings as it would be deserved.

BUT, who says UConn is going to lose games? Sure they may lose a game or two in the non-conference schedule, but to say they start at 13 is a bit much.....
My thoughts exactly. We’re not that fragile.

Reaction Score
After cutting out the text, here is her ranking

1. South Carolina
2. Stanford
3. Iowa
4. Texas
5. Iowa State
6. Tennessee
7. Notre Dame
8. Maryland
9. North Carolina
10. Louisville
11. LSU
12. UCLA
13. UConn
14. NC State
15. Oklahoma
Were Dooooomed !

Reaction Score
I re-read this article -- why, you may well ask? -- and two things struck me:

1. It's less a ranking than a list "of key questions"

2. The capsule for each team is so superficial as to be laughable. It's not just that there's not case for ay team's position in this list. The descriptions seem not to involve any real experience watching these teams, or BB in general.

The supposed key questions give way to observations like this one about Stanford: they could run a unit with all bigs "...or she can go big (and by big, I mean HUGE) with Jones (6-1), Cam Brink (6-4), Ashten Prectel (6-5), Belibi (6-1) and Lauren Betts (6-7)..... there is always going to be some level of a mismatch on the floor (especially in the bigger lineups)." Yeah sure, like the mismatch of being the slowest team on any court ever.

Reaction Score
The obvious conclusion is that this is a dumb list. Maryland way too high. Indiana way to low. UConn not even in the ballpark. We’d have to be devastated with injuries to end #13. No doubt even losing one more guard would hurt a lot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You need to consider the source. Chantel Jennings never played basketball or college sports of any kind. Her undergraduate degree from MI is in Spanish & English, not journalism She was the ESPN stringer in MI for several years before they let her go, covering football, MBB & WBB. After ESPN let her go she secured a fellowship at MI, her alma mater. About a year ago, the Athletic hired her to cover the W and college basketball.
Woj used to write Twilight League baseball articles for the Courant. Now he's number 1 in the field. What's your point?

sun

Reaction Score
The obvious conclusion is that this is a dumb list. Maryland way too high. Indiana way to low. UConn not even in the ballpark. We’d have to be devastated with injuries to end #13. No doubt even losing one more guard would hurt a lot.
I think it means that based on the uncertainties, they only expect UConn to make the Sweet Sixteen & not to advance beyond the Elite Eight.
It's a very possible scenario based on NCAAT matchups with the new scheduling format.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Woj used to write Twilight League baseball articles for the Courant. Now he's number 1 in the field. What's your point?
My point should be pretty obvious. The author of this article is an inexperienced journalist lacking the requisite knowledge or experience to rank WBB teams.

sun

Reaction Score
It's interesting that despite all of the previous discussion about parity in WCBB when UConn loses, that when sports writers try to predict the degree of parity among women teams, then biased fans will bash the predictors.
If I predict that Tennessee will beat UConn this upcoming season, then UConn fans would probably want to bash me too.
I don't see why The Athletic's pre-season predictions are any worse than anyone else's at this early date.
Either there's a greater amount of parity among top teams or there isn't.
If Caitlin Clark suffered a season ending knee injury then it would certainly alter the pre-season outlook for Iowa.

Reaction Score
I agree. If Caitlin Clark suffered an injury comparable to what Paige has, Iowa’s season would be ruined. They’d probably end up with a losing record. By contrast, even without Paige, we’ll probably end up with 30 wins or more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom