Athletic ranks UCONN as #13?! | The Boneyard

Athletic ranks UCONN as #13?!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
#13 UCONN - Who takes over for UCONN?
Azzi? Caroline? Does Sénéchal become a Big East star? They are looking for someone to carry the team. How about the team carries the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You need to consider the source. Chantel Jennings never played basketball or college sports of any kind. Her undergraduate degree from MI is in Spanish & English, not journalism She was the ESPN stringer in MI for several years before they let her go, covering football, MBB & WBB. After ESPN let her go she secured a fellowship at MI, her alma mater. About a year ago, the Athletic hired her to cover the W and college basketball.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
LMAO, Is this a joke? I have questioned some of Chantels articles in the past, as she is not as close to the game as is Lila and the ESPN people. I believe UConn is still a top 5 team, and I'm sure they will prove it by the end of November.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok 13 is nuts but I am guessing there will be alot of preseason rankings where UConn is out of the top 5. Might as well brace for it. UConn has to prove it is top 5 and that is fine with me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After cutting out the text, here is her ranking

1. South Carolina
2. Stanford
3. Iowa
4. Texas
5. Iowa State
6. Tennessee
7. Notre Dame
8. Maryland
9. North Carolina
10. Louisville
11. LSU
12. UCLA
13. UConn
14. NC State
15. Oklahoma

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What was the whole list?
1- SC
2- Stanford
3- Iowa
4- Texas
5- Iowa ST
6- Tenn
7- ND
8- Maryland
9- UNC
10- Louisville
11- LSU
12- UCLA
13- UConn
14- NC ST
15- Oklahoma

Reaction Score
That's as credible a ranking as others I could think of at this time of year. It's easy to carp about it -- and I will in a moment -- but she gets to have her opinion. Though this looks like clickbait to me: give a shocking ranking to a traditional powerhouse to sell ink.

I can understand putting the first 7 at the top. There's a case to be made for each of them. But after that, it seems to reflect a wishlist rather than judgments of personnel. #8-12 have had more turnover that UConn and for some the prospects look significantly worse. I'd say Louisville and UConn have as good a reason to be ranked #6 as Tennessee does.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In this case, since the ranking is not in the title, hard to be clickbait (especially behind a paywall). The focus of the article was not to rank teams but to say that every team in the Top 15 has questions that need answering.

Reaction Score
Holy crap! Please tell me the last time UCONN was ranked outside the top ten?!? And for preseason no less… WOW.

Reaction Score
The loss of Bueckers for the entire season should have a major impact on UConn's ranking. I don't think anybody knows what this team minus PB can accomplish. Whether they're ranked number five or number fifteen in the preseason, it really makes no difference at this point. Let's see if this group of players prove they are capable of great things......the rankings will follow........

Reaction Score
After cutting out the text, here is her ranking

1. South Carolina
2. Stanford
3. Iowa
4. Texas
5. Iowa State
6. Tennessee
7. Notre Dame
8. Maryland
9. North Carolina
10. Louisville
11. LSU
12. UCLA
13. UConn
14. NC State
15. Oklahoma
That list could be a preview of a Sweet Sixteen, but how about another Big East team?? Creighton?? Cinderella possibilities with
Marquette? DePaul? Villanova? Seton Hall?? I may be a dreamer but I'm also dreaming of another Final Four! I would
rank Tennessee higher and put a question mark next to Oklahoma (yes, I know that Oklahoma is good!..but)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Holy crap! Please tell me the last time UCONN was ranked outside the top ten?!? And for preseason no less… WOW.
Eh, this isn't the AP or Coaches Poll......so....doesn't really matter.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Eh, this isn't the AP or Coaches Poll......so....doesn't really matter.
Actually they are just opinion polls by people can't possibly watch all games. So none of the polls matter a whit.

Reaction Score
I enjoy these type of articles and discussions. i believe even without PB we should be in the top 6. Iowa lost to Creighton their last game so..... Not sure why they are top 3 unless Molly Davis is like a WNBA level prospect. I like Maryland but 8 seems a bit high. Same with UCLA, though I like their freshman and their end of season last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that UConn is a better team with Paige than without Paige. But it never ceases to amaze me how some pundits and fans continue to underestimate Geno, his staff and the other players on this roster.

Geno is clearly the best coach in the history of WBB, if not in all of basketball. His coaching staff is incredibly experienced. The ten players remaining on UConn’s roster after Paige’s injury are all exceptionally talented basketball players.

As of right now only SC appears to be a lock for the FF. Every other top team lost key players to graduation. Every coach has a difficult rebuilding job ahead of them. When March rolls around, it is far more likely that the Huskies find themselves playing in a 15th straight FF, than hanging out in the dorms watching the games on tv.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I see UCONN dropping into the 3-6 tier behind SC/Stanford, but going all the way to 13th is either lazy or trying to stir the pot. A lineup of Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards and Juhasz is easily top 5 provided players stay healthy. Biggest issue for UCONN will be PG play and ball movement in general. UCONN is without 4 of their top 5 assist people from last year, and Muhl's strength isn't on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not sure they can compete with SC but I think they're right there with programs like Texas, Iowa, NC State, Notre Dame, etc.

Reaction Score
As of right now only SC appears to be a lock for the FF. Every other top team lost key players to graduation. Every coach has a difficult rebuilding job ahead of them. When March rolls around, it is far more likely that the Huskies find themselves playing in a 15th straight FF, then sitting in the dorms watching the games on tv.
This is how it looks to me. All these teams — besides SC — had tons of turnover, rather more than we did. And we have a proven record of building a cohesive team culture. Based on program and personnel alone I think we’re still top 5.

Reaction Score
The loss of Bueckers for the entire season should have a major impact on UConn's ranking. I don't think anybody knows what this team minus PB can accomplish. Whether they're ranked number five or number fifteen in the preseason, it really makes no difference at this point. Let's see if this group of players prove they are capable of great things......the rankings will follow........
I agree but I think 13 is ridiculous, no way UConn is not a top 10 team. The loss of Paige is hard to stomach and I hope she can return to her NCST form. I know it will be a big job for her but I feel she is great for WBB and we need her back completely healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom