Athletic Complex Development Update | The Boneyard

Athletic Complex Development Update

Reaction Score
Request for bids for a Construction Manager for the Athletic Complex Development was posted today. The Athletic Complex is now out of the planning stage and into the construction stage. Construction to start March 1, 2018 with a $45-50 million dollar budget and an 18-24 construction time frame. Doesn't appear that a hockey arena is included in this bid request.

http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/...6-RFQ/Invitation-to-Prequalify-CM-1_31_17.pdf

Reaction Score
Baseball (and soccer) is/are impressive...

The UConn office of University Planning Design & Construction (“UPDC”) has completed initial feasibility studies and pre-design assessments of athletic facilities that are home to men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s ice hockey, baseball, softball and support facilities (drop box link to access these documents) File Download I

Reaction Score
Baseball (and soccer) is/are impressive...

The UConn office of University Planning Design & Construction (“UPDC”) has completed initial feasibility studies and pre-design assessments of athletic facilities that are home to men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s ice hockey, baseball, softball and support facilities (drop box link to access these documents) File Download I

It all looks good. Up until now it had been reported that soccer, baseball, and softball would all occupy their current locations. According to this plan, baseball, soccer, and softball fields would all be changing locations while staying in the same basic area. Baseball facility would be where Morrone is now, Softball field directly across the street, and soccer facility next to softball across the street from Burton/Shenkman football complex.

Last edited:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
It all looks good. Up until now it had been reported that soccer, baseball, and softball would all occupy their current locations. According to this plan, baseball, soccer, and softball fields would all be changing locations while staying in the same basic area. Baseball facility would be where Morrone is now, Softball field directly across the street, and soccer facility next to softball across the street from Burton/Shenkman football complex.

I wonder if they did that so that they could stagger the development so that the largest potential revenue driving (and larger fan supported) of those sports do no lose any home seasons. If they were to keep each sport in their current location, then every sport would have to lose at least one home season while their new stadium was being built. Basically, by moving each team, they can ensure that Soccer and Baseball are not impacted. For instance, it would look something like:

2018 : NEW SOCCER STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at Old Field, Baseball plays at Old Field, Softball finds alternative home
2019 : NEW BASEBALL STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at New Field, Baseball plays at Old Field, Softball finds alternative home
2020 : NEW SOFTBALL STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at New Field, Baseball plays at New Field, Softball finds alternative home
2021 : ALL COMPLETE -- everyone is new home

Or I guess the other option would be to, instead of having the Softball team have to find some random home (probably not a great location) for 3 seasons, maybe they have the Baseball team be the one who loses their home for a few seasons and they get to play all home games in Hartford at the new Dunkin Donuts Stadium?

Reaction Score
I wonder if they did that so that they could stagger the development so that the largest potential revenue driving (and larger fan supported) of those sports do no lose any home seasons. If they were to keep each sport in their current location, then every sport would have to lose at least one home season while their new stadium was being built. Basically, by moving each team, they can ensure that Soccer and Baseball are not impacted. For instance, it would look something like:

2018 : NEW SOCCER STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at Old Field, Baseball plays at Old Field, Softball finds alternative home
2019 : NEW BASEBALL STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at New Field, Baseball plays at Old Field, Softball finds alternative home
2020 : NEW SOFTBALL STADIUM CONSTRUCTION -- Soccer plays at New Field, Baseball plays at New Field, Softball finds alternative home
2021 : ALL COMPLETE -- everyone is new home

Or I guess the other option would be to, instead of having the Softball team have to find some random home (probably not a great location) for 3 seasons, maybe they have the Baseball team be the one who loses their home for a few seasons and they get to play all home games in Hartford at the new Dunkin Donuts Stadium?

Page 30 of the Populous Study gives two different time frames on when specific sport venues would not be available, depending on how construction is handled. Each sport would be affected for one or two seasons.

As for baseball, I think there are three venue options for playing off campus while the new baseball field is being constructed. I think the best option is the Eastern Connecticut State baseball field located in Mansfield, just a short 10-15 minute drive from campus. The other two options are the Hartford and Norwich stadiums, both a bit farther away. I expect that there would be scheduling conflicts for all three facilities, so it wouldn't surprise me if all three fields end up getting used by UConn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think that back in the day there was a bit of bad blood/envy from Andy Baylock towards ECSU. But that was a while ago. Moving to ECSU would be a great move- its a better facility than what UConn has right now.
20.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Page 30 of the Populous Study gives two different time frames on when specific sport venues would not be available, depending on how construction is handled. Each sport would be affected for one or two seasons.

As for baseball, I think there are three venue options for playing off campus while the new baseball field is being constructed. I think the best option is the Eastern Connecticut State baseball field located in Mansfield, just a short 10-15 minute drive from campus. The other two options are the Hartford and Norwich stadiums, both a bit farther away. I expect that there would be scheduling conflicts for all three facilities, so it wouldn't surprise me if all three fields end up getting used by UConn.
I'd be surprised if most of the games aren't played in Hartford. Brandy new facility; easy for state legislature to get to; closest to the state's population center (which get skewed by FFC); right next to the new Hartford campus... there's just a lot synergy at that location. Figure a couple of games in Norwich with Eastern filling any gaps.

Reaction Score
Plus uconn season does not overlap that significantly with eastern league. Essentially month of April and no reason why team couldn't share space. Hartford makes too much sense and it is better exposure than putting program at ECSU

Reaction Score
ECSU is a D3 powerhouse in baseball. Their stadium is absolutely ridiculous for that level and makes JO Christian look like a jv field.

I suspect that there are JV fields that make JO Christian look like a JV field. Honestly, JO Christian and Morrone Stadium are so outdated and far behind the times for collegiate athletic facilities it is ridiculous. The only thing that separates Morrone from JO Christian in this regard is that the UConn men's soccer team attendance is terrific, so people don't notice it so much, plus the bathrooms at the ice rink are closer to Morrone than to the baseball field.

I know football is the big driver in the conference realignment, but I believe the extremely outdated UConn facilities for baseball, soccer, and softball had to play a role for not getting into a better conference. An ACC or a Big Ten team would have to be embarrassed to play conference games consistently on these fields. I don't think it was a coincidence that Louisville had just updated some of their Olympic sport facilities prior to them getting into the ACC.

Reaction Score
I suspect that there are JV fields that make JO Christian look like a JV field. Honestly, JO Christian and Morrone Stadium are so outdated and far behind the times for collegiate athletic facilities it is ridiculous. The only thing that separates Morrone from JO Christian in this regard is that the UConn men's soccer team attendance is terrific, so people don't notice it so much, plus the bathrooms at the ice rink are closer to Morrone than to the baseball field.

I know football is the big driver in the conference realignment, but I believe the extremely outdated UConn facilities for baseball, soccer, and softball had to play a role for not getting into a better conference. An ACC or a Big Ten team would have to be embarrassed to play conference games consistently on these fields. I don't think it was a coincidence that Louisville had just updated some of their Olympic sport facilities prior to them getting into the ACC.
Pitt had updated too.

Reaction Score
Facilities Investment Together Surcharge/Fee:
FIT Email.jpg

Facilities Investment Together

>>However, to begin construction of state of the art facilities in the spring of 2018, we need everyone in UConn Nation to participate and invest. Beginning with the 2017-18 sport seasons, we have established a new and modest F.I.T. (Facilities Investment Together) fee on all Husky athletic tickets.

There will be a $5 surcharge on every football ticket, $2 for each men’s ice hockey and men’s/women’s basketball ticket and $1 for each men’s/women’s soccer ticket. .I.T. fee will be applicable to season, mini-plan and single-game purchases, but no assessment for UConn student tickets.<<

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Re: Baseball. I like the fact the field will be artificial turf. The wet cold muddy springs up here necessitate that. But to only have 1500 seats? Kind of short sighted imo. How much to make it a bit bigger, say 2500 ?

Reaction Score
Re: Baseball. I like the fact the field will be artificial turf. The wet cold muddy springs up here necessitate that. But to only have 1500 seats? Kind of short sighted imo. How much to make it a bit bigger, say 2500 ?

They have plans/designated areas behinds both dugouts for future seating expansion if demand is there.

Heck - if we average 1500 in attendance per game it would be top 40 in the country (all conferences).

IMG_2227.jpg

Reaction Score
I am guessing games are not gonna be free any longer...

Considering there is a ticket booth in the stadium diagram that Huskymedic posted, I would guess you are right, the games would not be free. However, men's soccer at UConn has drawn well for many years now. Even with the surcharge added to those tickets, the price for those games will still be under $10 for this coming season. I expect it would be similar charge for baseball games once the facility is built.

Reaction Score

Coach Penders has been talking about having an artificial turf field for several years now. You can clear an artificial turf field of a spring snow storm and then play a game, as UConn did at Seton Hall a couple of years ago. Given the weather realities of the northeast and a regular season that ends in May, it is a must have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Artificial turf is a no brainer. Go to a game after rain or snow and just watch that water build up and create a slip of an outfield. My comment on the free admission was tongue in cheek. If they want to be big time and continue to enhance facilities that comes with a cost. Just can't beat free since where can you go and be entertained at all for free?

Reaction Score
Ray Reid Makes Another Gift Toward Soccer Stadium

>>Reid's commitment to the program has gone beyond hard work and moves into financial support. In October 2014, Reid made a $100,000 commitment that will help build The Rizza Family Soccer Complex on the UConn campus.

The veteran UConn coach has backed up that gift with a recent legacy gift of an additional $250,000 that will benefit the men's soccer program.

"UConn has changed me both personally and professionally and I wanted to do my part to help," said Reid, who is entering his 20th year at the school in 2017. "Both of my daughters (Cate and Dannielle) graduated from UConn and I am a firm believer in people giving back to special places that are important to them." <<

Reaction Score
Ray Reid Makes Another Gift Toward Soccer Stadium

>>Reid's commitment to the program has gone beyond hard work and moves into financial support. In October 2014, Reid made a $100,000 commitment that will help build The Rizza Family Soccer Complex on the UConn campus.

The veteran UConn coach has backed up that gift with a recent legacy gift of an additional $250,000 that will benefit the men's soccer program.

"UConn has changed me both personally and professionally and I wanted to do my part to help," said Reid, who is entering his 20th year at the school in 2017. "Both of my daughters (Cate and Dannielle) graduated from UConn and I am a firm believer in people giving back to special places that are important to them." <<

Ray Reid takes a lot of flak on these boards (and that includes some from me), but in this case you just got to say good for him and thank you for doing this.

Reaction Score
Request for bids for a Construction Manager for the Athletic Complex Development was posted today. The Athletic Complex is now out of the planning stage and into the construction stage. Construction to start March 1, 2018 with a $45-50 million dollar budget and an 18-24 construction time frame. Doesn't appear that a hockey arena is included in this bid request.

http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/cpca/BID DOCUMENTS/201696-RFQ/Invitation-to-Prequalify-CM-1_31_17.pdf

February 22nd BOT agenda. $4,750,000 of gifts $$ to be release for design and planning of new athletic complex.

http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1799/2017/02/Att.-19-Athletics-Stadia.pdf

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ray Reid takes a lot of flak on these boards (and that includes some from me), but in this case you just got to say good for him and thank you for doing this.

Reid is a great example of being a "victim" of his own success. The only reason people have expect what they do from the program is because of the levels he's taken it too. His consistency has really been pretty amazing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It will be great to have an up to date athletic district with a unified concept. Penn St. has a very nice one that includes the football stadium. It is impressive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom