Athletes, Fertility, and Future UConn recruits | The Boneyard

Athletes, Fertility, and Future UConn recruits

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I apologize if this has been previously posted (the article is dated December 23, 2019). Per USA Today:

WNBA veteran Sue Bird has opened up about her decision to freeze her eggs this summer while she missed the 2019 season with a left knee injury.

Fellow WNBA All-Star Breanna Stewart also took advantage of her time off with a recent Achilles injury by opting to freeze her eggs. Egg-freezing requires multiple doctor visits and about 10 days without training or competition while taking a daily hormone medication.

If Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart both have children who are athletically talented, it would be great to see their children end up at UConn. Well, it will be great for UConn; it might not be so great for the opposing teams. :)

Happy new year, Boneyarders! Wishing all of you a very happy, healthy, and prosperous (intellectually, emotionally, and financially) prosperous 2020!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I realize that college coaches are recruiting players at ever younger ages. But recruiting Sue an Stewie’s frozen eggs seems a bit much. I was just hoping that one or more of Rebecca’s 3 daughters ends up as a Husky.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I realize that college coaches are recruiting players at ever younger ages. But recruiting Sue an Stewie’s frozen eggs seems a bit much. I was just hoping that one or more of Rebecca’s 3 daughters ends up as a Husky.
I'm waiting for someone to make a crack about Jeff Walz making an offer

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't both Kara ad Rebecca have daughters that are in the HS age range already? UCONN WBB needs bigs. :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't both Kara ad Rebecca have daughters that are in the HS age range already? UCONN WBB needs bigs. :eek:
I haven't seen a photo of Kara's daughter, but there is a picture of Rebecca and her family from the HOF ceremony where Rebecca's eldest daughter appears to be just about the same height as Rebecca. :cool:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My five year-old granddaughter, if she continues to grow at her current rate, will be about 6' 4" when she gets to high school. Both her parents are fairly tall.

She lives in the same town where Stewie grew up so if it turns out that she's talented basketball-wise, can lightening strike twice?

I've taken her to some UConn games but it would be an arm-wrestle with my son-in-law who bleeds orange and takes her to Syracuse games! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You have Jeff Walz (Louisville) to thank for that. A running joke about Walz and player recruitment is that a potential recruit's age means nothing to Walz. He will offer a player still in the womb if he thinks she can enhance his brand, and help his program win games. :D

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If we want a point guard who will probably be short and slow but also probably win us a few NCs, Maria's daughter Layla is, I think, seven or eight. I say make her an offer!

Reaction Score
My five year-old granddaughter, if she continues to grow at her current rate, will be about 6' 4" when she gets to high school. Both her parents are fairly tall.

She lives in the same town where Stewie grew up so if it turns out that she's talented basketball-wise, can lightening strike twice?

I've taken her to some UConn games but it would be an arm-wrestle with my son-in-law who bleeds orange and takes her to Syracuse games! :rolleyes:
Ha, you can’t plan the height. Based on all the charts as a 2yo, I expected my daughter to be 6’... she got to 5’5”, maybe. She was going to be my Kerry Bascom. Oh well...
But my 14yo grandson is already almost 6’2”, and more to come. His 11yo twin brothers might end up even taller than him.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a photo of Kara's daughter, but there is a picture of Rebecca and her family from the HOF ceremony where Rebecca's eldest daughter appears to be just about the same height as Rebecca. :cool:
Didn’t see her daughter in the last game’s boxscore. Hope she’s ok.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Ha, you can’t plan the height. Based on all the charts as a 2yo, I expected my daughter to be 6’... she got to 5’5”, maybe. She was going to be my Kerry Bascom. Oh well...
But my 14yo grandson is already almost 6’2”, and more to come. His 11yo twin brothers might end up even taller than him.

Absolutely - in fact, I'm a great example. I was 5' 11" in junior high. One of the high school coaches saw me in a pick-up game and was licking his chops - I think he saw a potentially dominating center in a couple of years. His dreams didn't come through.

First, he paid too much attention to my height and not my skill set. I was absolutely awful at basketball.

Second, I just plumb stopped growing. Never put on another inch.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You never know. I left my eighth grade year at 5' 10" showed up for freshman year at 6'4" Evryone said, "Who's the guy in the short pants?" My mom was furious that she had to buy me all new pants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom