At Xavier ticket remorse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At Xavier ticket remorse

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I have been travelling to away Giants games for 11 straight years and UConn basketball games for even longer. Never had a single issue anywhere I have went. Not one. Never been to Xavier, but did go to OSU game, and they were fine. Not sure why anyone would be scared of Xavier fans, probably lowest on my list.
I agree with this. Reading someone say "anywhere i have went" is undoubtedly worse than anything that'll happen there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Go to Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse, they have attractive bartenders and good steaks. Don’t get the chili.

Xavier’s campus is in a safer area of the city. Don’t go west past Cincinnati U. The area between Cincinnati U and downtown is pretty sketchy also.

Reaction Score
I recently bought 2 tickets on the floor for Xavier for a small fortune and am gonna take my 11 year old kid. I'm starting to regret this move, as I feel this is gonna be like walking onto a buzzsaw. We've been going to cinnci games for years, but fans were mostly friendly, despite me adorned in uconn gear. Something tells me xavier is a different beast. Anyone have experience or tips for this first time trip?

Whats a small fortune (estimate ok) in Cinci, may I ask for top seats?

Reaction Score
My only regret would be that I think we're going to get beat

I hope you can name at least a couple players on Xavier’s team and you’re not just saying this to conform to the unbearable vibe around here these days.

More generally, I have a pretty high tolerance for crappy cities - I’m from Albany and I’ve had fun in Jacksonville - but I’ve experienced very little to recommend Cincinnati. But I’ve brought my kids to sporting events in hostile arenas and never had a problem.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My worst experience with opposing fans has to be at MSG with St John's fans. They beat us for the BET Title. As I'm walking out of the arena with my wife and two young kids all sporting UConn gear, St John's fans are screaming UConn $uck$ and Duck U UConn in our faces. Same thing on the escalators and out on the streets.

I'm like dudes, go watch the awards ceremony, go celebrate with your team. If we won, we'd be inside screaming U-C-O-N-N and watching our champions cut down the nets. They were only interested in getting in our faces. Even my kids who were like 10 or 12

Just looked it up, had to be 2000, my kids were 12 and 14

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
Very similar to that MSG experience, where my amazing memories far outweigh any bad ones, was when George F Mason beat us in the Elite Eight. Just not as much vulgarity

I remember talking to Mason fans after the game and they were telling us this would be the new norm, that we were overrated, that mid majors were going to take over the sport.

I told them to enjoy the moment, that getting here again won't be easy, and that this may be the only Final Four you get to experience

I wonder if they learned their lesson?

Reaction Score
Should be a good game. I'll be real impressed if we win. After watching 2 Xavier games and channel flipping 2-3 others, I could easily see them as winning the BE now that they have Freemantle back with Nunge. Plenty of 3 point shooters and athletes. Donny Marshall has them as a national final four possibility or actual pick when he announced one of their games. We need to stay locked in on their 3 point shooters. Nunge and Freemantle are excellent but I think Whaley, Sanogo, and Akok should match up well defensively. I think Suggs is overrated so that means he'll probably go off vs us. If we are scoring I like our chances, but I think we will need 70 points to win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Very similar to that MSG experience, where my amazing memories far outweigh any bad ones, was when George F Mason beat us in the Elite Eight. Just not as much vulgarity

I remember talking to Mason fans after the game and they were telling us this would be the new norm, that we were overrated, that mid majors were going to take over the sport.

I told them to enjoy the moment, that getting here again won't be easy, and that this may be the only Final Four you get to experience

To be honest, GMU fans had every right and expectation to go crazy
Remember back to March 1999 - the UConn fans in St Pete at the Trop were loud crazy and at times vulgar - but they deserved to be
Imagine being at a mid major and beating an Elite program to get to the Final Four
UConn deserved to lose that game the way they executed - that should have been NC #5
The most obnoxious fans are Cuse, BC, and Indiana

willie99

Reaction Score
To be honest, GMU fans had every right and expectation to go crazy
Remember back to March 1999 - the UConn fans in St Pete at the Trop were loud crazy and at times vulgar - but they deserved to be
Imagine being at a mid major and beating an Elite program to get to the Final Four
UConn deserved to lose that game the way they executed - that should have been NC #5
The most obnoxious fans are Cuse, BC, and Indiana

I don't mind celebrating, I encourage that, I enjoy that. When the Eagles beat the Patriots, I was bummed the Pats lost but happy for long suffering Philly fans. I think everyone should get to enjoy a championship

What I'm talking about is getting in my face INSTEAD of celebrating. And in the case of Mason fans, thinking this was going to be the new norm :)

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I hope you can name at least a couple players on Xavier’s team and you’re not just saying this to conform to the unbearable vibe around here these days.

More generally, I have a pretty high tolerance for crappy cities - I’m from Albany and I’ve had fun in Jacksonville - but I’ve experienced very little to recommend Cincinnati. But I’ve brought my kids to sporting events in hostile arenas and never had a problem.
Nunge and Scruggs scare me after what Marquette did at the rim on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Anyone who puts chili on spaghetti should be arrested. You’ll probably get some , who cares give it back. Any fan that really gives you an issue when you’re with an 11 year old is scum.
When uninformed folks hear the word "chili," they automatically assume it's a Tex-Mex concoction or some crap out of a red can. But Cincinnati chili is Greek in origin, and the chili joints in Cincinnati, whether one-offs or chain outlets, were started by Greeks. They're as common there and as varied as pizza joints are in Connecticut. An acquired taste, perhaps, particularly if you're expecting Tex-Mex, but Cincy chili is delicious in its own right. Just different. Some of the better joints, like Camp Washington Chili (once judged by CBS News to be the best in the country) have singularly impudent waitresses, which just adds to the fun.

Reaction Score
When uninformed folks hear the word "chili," they automatically assume it's a Tex-Mex concoction or some crap out of a red can. But Cincinnati chili is Greek in origin, and the chili joints in Cincinnati, whether one-offs or chain outlets, were started by Greeks. They're as common there and as varied as pizza joints are in Connecticut. An acquired taste, perhaps, particularly if you're expecting Tex-Mex, but Cincy chili is delicious in its own right. Just different. Some of the better joints, like Camp Washington Chili (once judged by CBS News to be the best in the country) have singularly impudent waitresses, which just adds to the fun.
If you have to explain the origins of chili on spaghetti to justify it you’re already losing.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

George Mason was in DC.

willie99

Reaction Score
Gee, thanks for that, I tend to get DC and NYC mixed up. Along with Boston, Storrs, Nassau and Aruba
:cool:

Maybe the follow-up to my previous post wasn't worded clearly

Reaction Score
I think a UConn fan is safe we haven’t played each other enough to develop a hatred .
But just to be safe don’t wear a UC hat you might be confused with a Cincinnati fan and that might be a problem. Those folks really hate each other.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only crappy fans I've ever met were Sparty. And it was unanimous. They all suck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Things like this are the only thing as an adult I’m still willing to fist fight in public about
I thought the same thing. Throwing a beer at a kid? What an asshat.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Please. Losing is the exclusive domain of UConn football.

So now we have figured out that skyline chili is the UConn football of Chili’s?

Sound about right. Good work.

Reaction Score
Fellow Cincy resident here who will also be at the game…. I agree with previous posters that you have nothing to worry about. It would be more likely to happen at a Bearcats game… but even that would be a stretch nowadays. As far as doing anything before the game…. I have zero recommendations as I think Xavier’s campus is in a bit of a black hole in Cincinnati. In 30 years of living here I’ve been near Xavier maybe twice lol

Reaction Score
Howdy, lurking Xavier fan here. You should be fine seeing as you are probably in the lower bowl. I do expect it to be really loud and if you were in the upper bowl you might encounter some drunk hooligans, but you should be fine down low.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom