Men - At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery | The Boneyard

Men At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery

Reaction Score
He has a dumpster fire in our first most renowned program ... UCONN Men's Soccer ... and he doesn't seem to care. yeah yeah Ray Reid is a respected National Coach yada yada. But, Morrone had a Program ... a Plan ... I was eager to see the incoming player and the transition through the years. The mix of athletes made sense ... not throwing a net in world circles and taking transfers. Where is the development ... where is the formerly strong alumni and former player buzz ... and how many years can we take BS

So ... no. I am not interested in another podcast with Benedict on all things mbb wbb football etc. Fix the fire.

Reaction Score
I was in Storrs this past week and got an up close look at the new facilities. UConn now has Power 5 level facilities in men's and women's soccer, women's lacrosse, baseball, softball, and next year men's and women's hockey. Not just the new stadiums and arena. But the Rizza Performance Center as well. These are better facilities than the Big East rivals have.

We have untapped potential in several of these sports. We have obvious history in soccer which for whatever reason was allowed to go to hell in a hand basket. Even if UConn has potted plants as head coaches in these sports, they should be able to compete for Big East championships and NCAA tournament appearances in all of these sports now. If they can't, we know they need to be fired.

Reaction Score
He has a dumpster fire in our first most renowned program ... UCONN Men's Soccer ... and he doesn't seem to care. yeah yeah Ray Reid is a respected National Coach yada yada. But, Morrone had a Program ... a Plan ... I was eager to see the incoming player and the transition through the years. The mix of athletes made sense ... not throwing a net in world circles and taking transfers. Where is the development ... where is the formerly strong alumni and former player buzz ... and how many years can we take BS

So ... no. I am not interested in another podcast with Benedict on all things mbb wbb football etc. Fix the fire.
I thought women’s basketball was UConn’s most renowned program? 11 National Championships. It put Storrs on the map. What planet do you live on? Men’s soccer has seen better years, but come on. They were strong in the early 80’s IIRC, and the 2000 NC, and did well for several years after. They do have nice facilities though. Men’s soccer not doing well is not a dumpster fire, I would just call it a drought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought women’s basketball was UConn’s most renowned program? 11 National Championships. It put Storrs on the map. What planet do you live on? Men’s soccer has seen better years, but come on. They were strong in the early 80’s IIRC, and the 2000 NC, and did well for several years after. They do have nice facilities though. Men’s soccer not doing well is not a dumpster fire, I would just call it a drought.

There are 50 and 60 year old UCONN & Connecticut stakeholders - the only sports point of PRIDE was Joe Marrone and the Men's Soccer program. I'm sorry you missed that 15-20 year dominant period. There is NO reason for Ray Reid to sink this once storied program. If Benedict doesn't care, then he's NOT the sports executive I thought he was.

UCONN soccer should be one of the top handful of Programs in the US. Yes: you got one part correct. They now have championship caliber facilities.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He said out FIRST most renowned program. He would be correct in that statement. The '81 team was considered America's team. I remember watching it on ESPN.
As for the product, I think it's more than a drought but not quite a dumpster fire. My brother has been a season ticket holder since college (81 grad) and he is very disillusioned with the product and does not attend games like he once did. Teams can never afford to alienate their core fan base. The results haven't been good for what seems like forever (they had a good record in 2018). The transfer numbers are way up and there is very little development going on. I have always disliked his reliance on foreign players, but I guess that's because I remember when UConn was stacked with CT players. The time for a change has come. We need someone to rebuild our program and with the facilities and history we have, it should be an easy sell.
We've had 1 tournament appearance and 1 tournament win in the last 6 years (2014-2019).
His 20+ year run needs to come to an end.

Reaction Score
for the Young or disinterested observers

UCONN led the NCAA in attendance over a 30 year period in like 95% of the years. What's that say? It is driving to Mansfield ... and students. In my day, your entire dorm would go to the game. 14,000 filled Memorial Stadium my first year against Saint Louis - then a renowned college program.

kegs. We might have to allow students to bring kegs to their row again.

Reaction Score
He said out FIRST most renowned program. He would be correct in that statement. The '81 team was considered America's team. I remember watching it on ESPN.
As for the product, I think it's more than a drought but not quite a dumpster fire. My brother has been a season ticket holder since college (81 grad) and he is very disillusioned with the product and does not attend games like he once did. Teams can never afford to alienate their core fan base. The results haven't been good for what seems like forever (they had a good record in 2018). The transfer numbers are way up and there is very little development going on. I have always disliked his reliance on foreign players, but I guess that's because I remember when UConn was stacked with CT players. The time for a change has come. We need someone to rebuild our program and with the facilities and history we have, it should be an easy sell.
We've had 1 tournament appearance and 1 tournament win in the last 6 years (2014-2019).
His 20+ year run needs to come to an end.
Just because they won it all in 81 doesn’t mean they deserve renowned status. If you want renowned status win two or three championships in a row and give the coach a seat in the HOF. I do agree though that they should be looking for new coaches and try to recruit better in state. If you want the first renowned program try 1948. Lol

Reaction Score
There is no question that the UConn men's soccer program was huge when I was in Storrs as a student (late 70's into the 1980's). It rivaled men's basketball as the beacon of UConn athletics. And of course, for many years the program was among the leaders in attendance for college soccer games. I definitely don't want to see that legacy disappear from Storrs.

Morrone and Reid both won NCAA championships at UConn. It is quite interesting to note how Morrone very rarely if ever brought in foreign players into the program, while Ray Reid ended really relying upon them.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid has been a disappointment, but not a single school would evaluate their AD today based on soccer.
Seems like some on The Boneyard have already given a verdict. With the AD facing a $43 million shortfall, he has bigger worries than men’s soccer. The soccer critics should be thankful they have P5 level soccer facilities given the challenges the AD has. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t fire Reid, they should.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Just because they won it all in 81 doesn’t mean they deserve renowned status.
If you had asked someone from CT about UConn sports in the late 70's or early 80's they would say we were a soccer school. I think Joe Morrone Jr won a Hermann Trophy and we won a title. Soccer, both men's and women's, is what we were known for. Maybe not nationally, but locally, regionally, and definitely in the soccer community we were renowned as a soccer school. Regular to 10 ranking.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The chicken salad tastes about as well as can be expected.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
for the Young or disinterested observers

UCONN led the NCAA in attendance over a 30 year period in like 95% of the years. What's that say? It is driving to Mansfield ... and students. In my day, your entire dorm would go to the game. 14,000 filled Memorial Stadium my first year against Saint Louis - then a renowned college program.

kegs. We might have to allow students to bring kegs to their row again.
I can't remember doing that for soccer but we definitely did it for football. Of course you needed a half dozen beers to make it through a football game back then.

Reaction Score
in football, you had the hill Why pay anything to sit on concrete, when you could sit on that hill and drink your beer

Soccer? You would march across campus with a keg and 20 guys (a few girls) and camp out in your preferred row. Red cups. Make new friends. And we won most everytime. Marrone actually was a great promoter as well of his program - on campus and in the State of Connecticut. And that's whay you need. Ray Reid just got lazy.

Reaction Score
If you had asked someone from CT about UConn sports in the late 70's or early 80's they would say we were a soccer school. I think Joe Morrone Jr won a Hermann Trophy and we won a title. Soccer, both men's and women's, is what we were known for. Maybe not nationally, but locally, regionally, and definitely in the soccer community we were renowned as a soccer school. Regular to 10 ranking.
I know all too well. Go Yankee Conference!!! Everything changed when Toner hired Geno over a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts, and hired Calhoun around the same time. Then Lou got Gampel built and started pushing for D1 FB.

Reaction Score
I graduated from UConn in 1982. I followed all the sports teams, but the team with the most buzz was the soccer team. Sunday afternoon games vs Alabama A&M, St. Louis and other soccer powers were a must attend. Yes, you could actually bring your own keg. That seems crazy now, but it was true.
Exceptional talent. Joe and Bill Morrone, Erhart Kapp, Pedro DeBrito, Elvis Comrie, Jim Lyman, Carlos Carlos ( loved that name) and brother Damingos Carlos. Just to name a few.
I loved the Ray Reid hire at first, thought it was the perfect move. Did win us a national championship, but unfortunately looks like time to go in another direction.

Reaction Score
I know all too well. Go Yankee Conference!!! Everything changed when Toner hired Geno over a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts, and hired Calhoun around the same time. Then Lou got Gampel built and started pushing for D1 FB.
Lew

Reaction Score
Are you implying that those changes were bad things?

CL82

Reaction Score
in football, you had the hill Why pay anything to sit on concrete, when you could sit on that hill and drink your beer
I'd rather sit on the 50 yard line (where our keg was) than the end zone. Plus, typically you knew the guy taking tickets so they let you in by giving you back "change" from the cash you'd hand them.

CL82

Reaction Score
I graduated from UConn in 1982. I followed all the sports teams, but the team with the most buzz was the soccer team. Sunday afternoon games vs Alabama A&M, St. Louis and other soccer powers were a must attend. Yes, you could actually bring your own keg. That seems crazy now, but it was true.
Exceptional talent. Joe and Bill Morrone, Erhart Kapp, Pedro DeBrito, Elvis Comrie, Jim Lyman, Carlos Carlos ( loved that name) and brother Damingos Carlos. Just to name a few.
I loved the Ray Reid hire at first, thought it was the perfect move. Did win us a national championship, but unfortunately looks like time to go in another direction.
Those games were packed. It was great environment for a college soccer game.

Reaction Score

IF ... you are a UCONN fan or a Stakeholder a citizen of CT ... doesn't that sound like an awesome day? The great crowd with one of the top teams in YOUR sport in the USA. Playing the best WITH most of the team from CT; and NY + NJ. with beer

I am not saying that we return to that (though we now have been gifted one of the best soccer facilities in college sports); but, we should try to Win and Compete. We should publicize recruits; market; put out the schedule months in advance; take care of kids/alumni. This is a weak effort. I think Reid bears responsibility for a diminishment of a FRANCHISE. Maybe you just want MBB or WBB; Football. But, it is a state that had a fun entertaining sports winner; and we puked.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
IF ... you are a UCONN fan or a Stakeholder a citizen of CT ... doesn't that sound like an awesome day? The great crowd with one of the top teams in YOUR sport in the USA. Playing the best WITH most of the team from CT; and NY + NJ. with beer

I am not saying that we return to that (though we now have been gifted one of the best soccer facilities in college sports); but, we should try to Win and Compete. We should publicize recruits; market; put out the schedule months in advance; take care of kids/alumni. This is a weak effort. I think Reid bears responsibility for a diminishment of a FRANCHISE. Maybe you just want MBB or WBB; Football. But, it is a state that had a fun entertaining sports winner; and we puked.
Amen.

Reaction Score
I always enjoyed the Sunday afternoon games. Nothing better than watching a game in the Autumn afternoon sun. Too bad they switched to Saturday night games to make traveling easier. I too attended UConn in the late 70s when soccer was king. Many in the dorm would attend the games. Other teams from the past besides Alabama A&M and St. Louis were Hartwick and Philadelphia Textile. I'm not sure if they played on campus but I remember them during tournament time.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom