AT&T's Turner Sports (TBS/TNT/TruTV) Possibly Bidding for AAC TV Contract | The Boneyard

AT&T's Turner Sports (TBS/TNT/TruTV) Possibly Bidding for AAC TV Contract

Reaction Score
Im not an expert on this network stuff, but does this mean that a majority of our conference games would be broadcast on TNT, TBS, or Tru TV?

Reaction Score
TBS and TNT would be awesome exposure. Much better than SNY and CBS Sports Network

SNY wouldn't be removed from the equation here. That's T3 rights, this is about T1 and we should want SNY to remain part of the picture going forward: NY exposure (biggest DMA in the US something not many schools can tout) and they do a lot of programming regarding UConn beyond the games (pre/post game, Geno Show, preview shows etc.). I would love if we got a Dan Hurley Show in the future.

Reaction Score
SNY wouldn't be removed from the equation here. That's T3 rights, this is about T1 and we should want SNY to remain part of the picture going forward: NY exposure (biggest DMA in the US something not many schools can tout) and they do a lot of programming regarding UConn beyond the games (pre/post game, Geno Show, preview shows etc.). I would love if we got a Dan Hurley Show in the future.
Dan Hurley show would be amazing

Reaction Score
The number of games we play on SNY would be cut down though, no? I imagine that if TBS and TNT want the AAC contract, they would want the conference's biggest basketball program playing in the national spotlight for almost every game. They're not gonna want ECU vs Tulane on TBS and put UConn vs whoever on SNY lol

Reaction Score
The number of games we play on SNY would be cut down though, no? I imagine that if TBS and TNT want the AAC contract, they would want the conference's biggest basketball program playing in the national spotlight for almost every game. They're not gonna want ECU vs Tulane on TBS and put UConn vs whoever on SNY lol

I don't know exactly how these contracts work but I think they would stay on SNY. The pattern for as long as UConn has been in the AAC has been the below and I would think it would remain the same (Big Bang Theory will get priority over UConn v. Morehead State 10/10 times):

Buy Games (aka bad OOC games): SNY

Home and Home @ Home (aka good OOC games): ESPN family of networks or CBS

Home and Home @ Away: dependent on other team's TV contract (example @ Ohio State on BTN two years ago)

Conference Games: ESPN family of networks or CBS Sports

Neutral Games: generally ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but this is a function of TV agreement with tournament organizer

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
TBS/TNT/tru would not take any of the games UConn currently plays on SNY.

Reaction Score
I worry if we stay with Espn that our games get pushed to ESPN+ and ESPN3 which would be a major blow to the fan base

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Get used to Tru TV and streaming services.

You won't see abunch of AAC games on TNT and Turner.

Reaction Score
I worry if we stay with Espn that are games get pushed to ESPN+ and ESPN3 which would be a major blow to the fan base

This would be entirely dependent on how the team is. Sure anytime they play Tulane/ECU/Tulsa won't help but if the team is a or near top 25 squad, it could be avoided. That being said, it's a very real possibility and one I would like to avoid. I would much prefer games be on an RSN (SNY) than get shifted towards another pay service like ESPN+.

Reaction Score
Get used to Tru TV and streaming services.

You won't see abunch of AAC games on TNT and Turner.
I can't believe they'd be buying the rights to AAC games to fill programming on Tru TV and their streaming services. How much could they pay for that?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
AAC would get buried on Turner. If it’s a Turner/ESPN deal, that would be better than this ESPN/CBS Sports deal we have right now.

I mean, basketball games on CBS Sports are currently anchored by ads for oxygen tanks, so I guess beggars can’t be choosers...

Reaction Score
AAC would get buried on Turner. If it’s a Turner/ESPN deal, that would be better than this ESPN/CBS Sports deal we have right now.

I mean, basketball games on CBS Sports are currently anchored by ads for oxygen tanks, so I guess beggars can’t be choosers...

Most basketball fans know where TNT is and TBS is usually next to TNT, we'd be fine on Turner. Hopefully this rumor is true and they are a serious bidder, we need a bidding war.

Reaction Score
Please note the author of that tweet is a Memphis fan turned AAC mega fan boy. Well intentioned, but not an impartial media guy exactly. He openly loathes ESPN treatment of the league.

Reaction Score
Please note the author of that tweet is a Memphis fan turned AAC mega fan boy. Well intentioned, but not an impartial media guy exactly. He openly loathes ESPN treatment of the league.

Right. But he also has friends in high places (like the Memphis President), who are being kept in the loop in terms of what's going on.

Reaction Score

Would they put that awful alleged comedy show on during commercials like they do during the tournament? Because that sours this immediately...

Reaction Score
Right. But he also has friends in high places (like the Memphis President), who are being kept in the loop in terms of what's going on.
Have we learned not to trust other school’s presidents when it comes to “bidding” wars

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom