at this point, does anyone want to join the ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

at this point, does anyone want to join the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Up till recently I rather liked the idea of going to the ACC. Now, it's more you have to take it, especially if you have no other option, but I would make it a point to drop a giant deuce in the middle of each ACC schools campus. Fukcers.

Reaction Score
I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm not suggesting that Uconn whore itself out. What I am suggesting is that Uconn let it be known that they are not tied to the ACC. Create opportunities for discussions. And yes, present what Uconn brings to the table.

Ironically, while you mention that it isn't an overnight decision, it seems like UofL over Uconn was just that.

And, while we're talking about the merits of Uconn, how is UofL a better fit. In every category Uconn is ahead of UofL. the only category which Uconn lost was votes. And that sucks.

You can take the Warde Manuel approach and monitor the situation. I think Uconn has taken that approach and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. If Uconn had an opportunity to join the Big12, you don't think they would accept?
The process is very fluid. 3 weeks ago, people actually did laugh at the Big10 wanting Rutgers.

So you keep laughing...

What I hope Warde and Susan do is take a proactive approach to getting Uconn somewhere other than the NBE. If that's the Big10, Big12 or ACC I don't care... Just be proactive. Monitoring the situation won't cut it anymore.

Here's another fact. Had Jurich simply monitored the situation, do you honestly think they would be in the ACC right now? Not a chance. UofL made this opportunity and it worked. Uconn needs to learn from this and the other rounds of realignment and move forward.

I don't think UConn has every represented that it was tied to the ACC. Its just what the most realistic option is. However, I've seen nothing to suggest that UConn would not openly take a Big 12 or Big 10 invite if it came. So I'm not sure what you want to see change. It's not like UConn is holding up a sign that said "ACC or Bust".

I'd freely admit that UConn would better fit the ACC. I am very surprised it did not happen. Never said otherwise. I'm also surprised it did take Louisville. Something the ACC would not have done in the past. But to suggest it was an overnight decision seems ludicrous. These are some of the smartest people in America, running some of the best Universities, and they're making a major decision in a billion dollar industry. The idea they made it on a whim or were fast-talked by some AD seems way far-fetched. It does seem obvious that certain factions of the ACC helped force a bit of a paradigm shift off pure academics and location. But do I believe that Jurich had some magic effect on the ACC? No. Jurich's strong athletic department had a factor. It was his actions, not his words.

I don't even understand the laughing comment.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Duke, as much as you may dislike them, has always been a UConn supporter and has stayed true to decent academic ideals. Some ACC schools are worthy of scorn, but not all. ACC as a conference is no different than any other but there are some honorable and intelligent institutions, FSU not being one of them.

Quit crying on your scrabble board. It's not about academics, dummy. Clearly the ACC has great academic universities. It's about SURVIVAL, and that's why Louisville was the better choice.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn has every represented that it was tied to the ACC. Its just what the most realistic option is. However, I've seen nothing to suggest that UConn would not openly take a Big 12 or Big 10 invite if it came. So I'm not sure what you want to see change. It's not like UConn is holding up a sign that said "ACC or Bust".

I'd freely admit that UConn would better fit the ACC. I am very surprised it did not happen. Never said otherwise. I'm also surprised it did take Louisville. Something the ACC would not have done in the past. But to suggest it was an overnight decision seems ludicrous. These are some of the smartest people in America, running some of the best Universities, and they're making a major decision in a billion dollar industry. The idea they made it on a whim or were fast-talked by some AD seems way far-fetched. It does seem obvious that certain factions of the ACC helped force a bit of a paradigm shift off pure academics and location. But do I believe that Jurich had some magic effect on the ACC? No. Jurich's strong athletic department had a factor. It was his actions, not his words.

I don't even understand the laughing comment.

You said...
"The idea that theBig 12 wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the SEC wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the Pac-12 wants UConn is laughable. There's probably the slimmest of slim hopes that the Big 10 is interested, but the ACC is likely the only probable option"...

I said...
"The process is very fluid. 3 weeks ago, people actually did laugh at the Big10 wanting Rutgers."

Since you don't understand, I'll explain.
Your comment seemed to suggest that uconn going anywhere but the ACC is laughable. You did provide the slimmest of hopes for the Big10, but the gist was that Uconn's only realistic option is the ACC. And that may be true, TODAY...
But, three weeks ago, the perception of Rutgers joining the Big10 was no different than Uconn's. I'm sure someone can find many posts where we've debated the concept and who actually delivers the NY market and whether Uconn or Rutgers was a target for the ACC. Reality is different, obviously.
So if that can happen for Rutgers, why can't the same happen for Uconn.

It's a pardigm... Uconn has modeled itself after the ACC schools. Perception is that we are looking to become an ACC school... Herbst mentioned publically that we would welcome an ACC invite. All I'm suggesting is that Uconn publically and through closed channels make it known we are aggressively looking to better our situation in whataver conference that is, and that Uconn has a lot to offer today, tomorrow, and well into the future academically, athletically, and financially. Uconn needs to create the perception that we are not only open to an ACC invite, but that our main goal is to better our current position in whatever conference is looking to expand in the northeast where 14M people call home.

And lastly, the ACC presidents went into the evening not sure who to invite between UofL and Uconn. In the morning, positions changed and UofL was invited. How can you suggest the vote or the decision wasn't overnight.

Reaction Score
You said...
"The idea that theBig 12 wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the SEC wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the Pac-12 wants UConn is laughable. There's probably the slimmest of slim hopes that the Big 10 is interested, but the ACC is likely the only probable option"...

I said...
"The process is very fluid. 3 weeks ago, people actually did laugh at the Big10 wanting Rutgers."

Since you don't understand, I'll explain.
Your comment seemed to suggest that uconn going anywhere but the ACC is laughable. You did provide the slimmest of hopes for the Big10, but the gist was that Uconn's only realistic option is the ACC. And that may be true, TODAY...
But, three weeks ago, the perception of Rutgers joining the Big10 was no different than Uconn's. I'm sure someone can find many posts where we've debated the concept and who actually delivers the NY market and whether Uconn or Rutgers was a target for the ACC. Reality is different, obviously.
So if that can happen for Rutgers, why can't the same happen for Uconn.

It's a pardigm... Uconn has modeled itself after the ACC schools. Perception is that we are looking to become an ACC school... Herbst mentioned publically that we would welcome an ACC invite. All I'm suggesting is that Uconn publically and through closed channels make it known we are aggressively looking to better our situation in whataver conference that is, and that Uconn has a lot to offer today, tomorrow, and well into the future academically, athletically, and financially. Uconn needs to create the perception that we are not only open to an ACC invite, but that our main goal is to better our current position in whatever conference is looking to expand in the northeast where 14M people call home.

And lastly, the ACC presidents went into the evening not sure who to invite between UofL and Uconn. In the morning, positions changed and UofL was invited. How can you suggest the vote or the decision wasn't overnight.

You're twisting words here. I'm not laughing that UConn is not in a major conference. I want to see UConn in a major conference. But I'm also being realistic. The Pac 12 is not going to come calling. Nor is the SEC. And unless I'm really misreading the situation, nor is the Big 12. I hope I don't have to explain why. These claims should be self-evident.

It seems your defense to the above seem to be "anything can happen". Sure, any can happen. Do I need to quote Lloyd Christmas here? I guess I do:

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*
I'll sit here and admit anything could happen. But there's a difference in financial strategy between: (1) investing well and saving money; and (2) throwing all your money in the lottery. Both could work, but one's a lot better strategy and much more likely to pay off. None of which is to suggest that UConn completely shuts off any of these conferences. Nor do I think UConn has done that, either now or in the past. Most of these discussions, if they occur, are more informal and behind closed doors. There's no need to publicly exclaim, "We want to be the Big 10!". It serves no real purpose other than to make the University look bad if it does not happen. But if someone wants to use back channels, much like Maryland did with the Big 10, then go for it. I have no problem with that and I'm not sure why people believe this has not happened with any of the major conferences.

As to Rutgers to the Big 10, I think you're underselling that connection. Rutgers had been talked about before, even if most did not believe it would actually happen. The Rutgers-Big 10 connection was much stronger, even 3 weeks ago, then it ever was for UConn. I think you're misreading that entire situation. None of which is to suggest that UConn permanently close doors on the Big 10, but the odds were always longer for UConn than for Rutgers.

As to the ACC scenario, I still think many are simply misreading the situation. The ACC was essentially backed into adding someone. While it's possible to field a 13 team football schedule, it makes way more sense with 14. This scenario is different from the Big 10, who is not forced into doing anything. They can sit back and pick and choose. Putting that aside, the mere fact that an immediate consensus was not reached with ACC presidents does not mean this was some sort of spur of the moment decision. People were aware of the merits of both schools and each school had its supporters. I'm of the belief that many of the southern ACC schools were not fans of UConn due to location and short football history. Whether that was the right move, I can't say. It's not the choice I would have personally made. But it's what the ACC did, when they talked it out and reached a consensus.

Still, I don't believe that this was Louisville "outmaneuvering" UConn. To paraphrase Don Amore, I can't fathom that this decision was based on elements like who makes the best impression in an interview. All the candidate schools have histories, track records, and brands that have been built over decades. Its either a conference wants a school, or it doesn’t. It's not a sales pitch that does it, but the decades of merit that came before it. This is a very long-term, big-picture issue. And I agree with that reasoning.

UConn can’t ever change its location or its market. And it can’t build new buildings or raise its national football profile overnight. This is a long game, not a short game. I do not buy the idea that UConn failed to get an invite entirely due to actions in the last several days (or even weeks). The elements for this decision were put in place years ago. Because this is a long game, I scoff at the idea that some new strategy will radically change UConn's outcome in the near future. UConn's future was set years ago. And again, either a conference wants you or it doesn't. You're not going to quick talk anyone into anything. But I won't stop anyone at UConn who wants to try.

But if I'm dividing resourses, I'm aiming most of them for the ACC, since anyone else is a long shot. Geography alone should knock out anyone that's not the Big 10 or ACC. And I honestly don't know why the Big 10 will grab up a non-AAU smaller sized UConn over some of the potential bigger fish in the ACC. The Big 10 waited almost two decades to add Nebraska. It knows how to be patient. But don't worry, if the Big 10 really does want UConn. The Big 10 will let UConn know. Look at Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom