at this point, does anyone want to join the ACC? | The Boneyard

at this point, does anyone want to join the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thought of being invited after 2 blatant snubs is enough to say F' You!!!!
We are the ECU to the ACC...

Uconn needs to set their sights on Big territory, whether it's Big10 or Big12.
While not ideal, the Big12 is better than our current mess.

Uconn needs a buzz. They need to get aggressive and push their way into a conference. Make it known that Uconn is available, and not only to the ACC. Even Jurich admitted that the ACC didn't invite them. He created the need to include UofL. That's what Uconn needs to do now.

Put some pressure back on the ACC.

Reaction Score
Look I'd love to go to the B1G. I am abaord that ship. But currently we are riding the titanic and you go to the first conference that offers. I will be happy wherever we land most happy in b1g and least happy in acc both scenarios are a heck of a lot better than not being happy in the big east.

caw

Reaction Score

Uconn needs a buzz. They need to get aggressive and push their way into a conference. Make it known that Uconn is available, and not only to the ACC. Even Jurich admitted that the ACC didn't invite them. He created the need to include UofL. That's what Uconn needs to do now.

I would welcome the ACC with open arms, but would burn all their schools to the ground for a chance at being in the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I sure hope we don't end up in the ACC. I really think that conference will fall apart. B1G and SEC both need cable subscribers for their network and ACC is the conference with schools that fit both of their needs. $50M isn't going to stop anyone with insane amount of money both SEC and B1G are talking about. We will just be jumping from one sinking ship to another at this point. UL's invitation to the ACC already showed that ACC is desperate. They changed their principle for football and are scared they will lose more schools. The writing is on the wall ACC will be picked apart, it is just a matter of time.

I hope we can end up in the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'll accept an offer anywhere gratefully, but we should never, NEVER, forget how we've been yanked around. There will be a time where the relative power of institutions change, and at that time we should act with the same disregard for our peers that have had for us. Conference realignment has gutted the notions of collegiality and loyalty from college sports. That's a sad truth that will have ramifications, including fan interest, for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Look I'd love to go to the B1G. I am abaord that ship. But currently we are riding the titanic and you go to the first conference that offers. I will be happy wherever we land most happy in b1g and least happy in acc both scenarios are a heck of a lot better than not being happy in the big east.
why do we have to wait for an open invite before expressing interest... I get the whole invite thing.
but it seems there are back-channels for discussions. These back channels are a way for Uconn to drive interest, tout the accomplishments, and show the other conferences that Uconn will not be deterred.

Begging doesn't work. nor does 'monitoring the situation' work... Uconn needs to actively and aggressively make it known that is not holding out for the ACC. It needs to tout it's history, its commitment and it's potential.
Will all this secure an invite. Who knows? But people outside of CT and New England need to know that Rutgers and BC will not capture the CT market, or the New England Market.

What is clear is that the current path isn't working. Rutgers, Pitt, Syr, and BC all have secured access to the big boy leagues while Uconn hasn't. How long can Uconn stay competitive even regionally with such a disadvantage. And more importantly, how much longer is the CT taxpayer going to support a midling program.

This isn't pointing blame, but questioning the current efforts being made going forward.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Duke, as much as you may dislike them, has always been a UConn supporter and has stayed true to decent academic ideals. Some ACC schools are worthy of scorn, but not all. ACC as a conference is no different than any other but there are some honorable and intelligent institutions, FSU not being one of them.

Reaction Score

Just for you (turn down the volume or use headphones if at work)
[yt]

caw

Reaction Score
So what are the possible scenarios left for UConn?

1. Big Ten invite with someone from the ACC if Maryland gets out for cheap and the Big Ten wants UConn.
  2. ACC invite with someone else (Cincy) if Maryland's thing holds and the ACC wants to expand to 16 and can't find anyone else to pick off, or if Big Ten grabs two from the ACC.
  3. Left with the none-big-four conference teams (let's say Big-10 picks up two ACC (UVA/UNC?), and 6 ACC merge with Big-12 (GT/WF/FSU/UL/Miami/VT), SEC picks up 2 (Clemson/NCST). So 4 ACC (Duke/Pitt/Cuse/BC) teams, Cincy, Memphis, UConn, USF, Temple and UCF? Basically the old BE to some extent.
  4. Left in the NBE if everyone just stops expanding, suddenly.

I would bet money on 3 happening and put 3 ahead of 1 and 1 ahead of 4.

Based on those, I honestly would wait out an invite from the ACC on the tiny chance of getting a Big Ten invite, because right now it looks like that is the best shot of being in a Big Four conference when this whole thing comes to a conclusion. Football is king and right now the ACC has the weakest football of the big 5 and therefore the easiest to pick off. ND is their savior and they are not likely to budge.

Reaction Score
I would welcome the ACC with open arms, but would burn all their schools to the ground for a chance at being in the Big 10.

Agree save for one point. Absent an invite, I'd simply like to see every ACC school burn to the ground. Sportsmanship? Don't ever want to hear them try to promote that concept. Elementary school kids are taught that it's wrong to exclude others. This whole conference realignment business is all about exclusionary practices and needs to be stopped.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Duke, as much as you may dislike them, has always been a UConn supporter and has stayed true to decent academic ideals. Some ACC schools are worthy of scorn, but not all. ACC as a conference is no different than any other but there are some honorable and intelligent institutions, FSU not being one of them.

I know this is sacrilege, but I feel this way as well. I have always actively rooted against UNC and Duke, but after this whole shitfest I might reconsider that. They were some of the few that had our backs and they are infinitely more respectable than Syracuse.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
why do we have to wait for an open invite before expressing interest... I get the whole invite thing.
but it seems there are back-channels for discussions. These back channels are a way for Uconn to drive interest, tout the accomplishments, and show the other conferences that Uconn will not be deterred.

Begging doesn't work. nor does 'monitoring the situation' work... Uconn needs to actively and aggressively make it known that is not holding out for the ACC. It needs to tout it's history, its commitment and it's potential.
Will all this secure an invite. Who knows? But people outside of CT and New England need to know that Rutgers and BC will not capture the CT market, or the New England Market.

What is clear is that the current path isn't working. Rutgers, Pitt, Syr, and BC all have secured access to the big boy leagues while Uconn hasn't. How long can Uconn stay competitive even regionally with such a disadvantage. And more importantly, how much longer is the CT taxpayer going to support a midling program.

This isn't pointing blame, but questioning the current efforts being made going forward.
Those are fair statements. However I do think the "back channels" were being worked hard by UConn with the ACC. Jacobs' column had some info on this. Jurich just did a better job closing. One thing we can tell publicly is that Louisville had public perception in their corner, based on better recent football performance (but not winning-the-league, national top ten better). If PP or the next football coach can get UConn to 8, 9, 10+ win seasons in this new league, our new VP hire should be expected to help the public perception of UConn football as well. In another thread somebody pointed out their responsibilities will covers some of this stuff (internet related... branding...)

Reaction Score
Agree save for one point. Absent an invite, I'd simply like to see every ACC school burn to the ground. Sportsmanship? Don't ever want to hear them try to promote that concept. Elementary school kids are taught that it's wrong to exclude others. This whole conference realignment business is all about exclusionary practices and needs to be stopped.
And then they grow up and go to college and business school and learn that when money is involved, the elementary school lessons mean nothing. But I guess I missed the point of the first part of your point. Are kids taught that if they don't get included they should burn the other kids houses to the ground?

People need to grow up and grow a set and stop being so freakin myopic for about 10 minutes. Uconn was not invited because they are not currently coveted/wanted by any other conference. Louisville was. They are be a step up in terms of athletic competition over 75% of the ACC, half the Big 12 and half of the B1G in almost every sport. That is what made them wanted and that is why they got the invite. If the end game is 16+ team conferences, Uconn ends up in a power conference way before the likes of USF, UCF, ECU, Houston, etc..

So yeah, it sucks. But if Uconn were invited, you would be singing a different tune about "exclusionary practices".

Reaction Score
And then they grow up and go to college and business school and learn that when money is involved, the elementary school lessons mean nothing. But I guess I missed the point of the first part of your point. Are kids taught that if they don't get included they should burn the other kids houses to the ground?

People need to grow up and grow a set and stop being so freakin myopic for about 10 minutes. Uconn was not invited because they are not currently coveted/wanted by any other conference. Louisville was. They are be a step up in terms of athletic competition over 75% of the ACC, half the Big 12 and half of the B1G in almost every sport. That is what made them wanted and that is why they got the invite. If the end game is 16+ team conferences, Uconn ends up in a power conference way before the likes of USF, UCF, ECU, Houston, etc..

So yeah, it sucks. But if Uconn were invited, you would be singing a different tune about "exclusionary practices".

So before the strategy was wait til the next conference realignment. Now? Its wait til the next conference realignment. Meanwhile all UConn's athletic programs will be in worse shape going forward. They are not gonna get better in the land of misfit toys because the "good" recruits are gonna want the glamour conferences with the big stadiums, the good bowls, the TV exposure, etc.

Reaction Score
Never liked Duke and coach K, actually have kind of hated them for a long time. I have definitely took stock and changed my position, coach K has always had our backs and has had nothing but nice things to say about Calhoun and UConn while it has been fashionable for everyone else to bash us. These other schools had shown themselves to be spiteful and lacking integrity, they will smile in your face and stab you in the back. Coach K and Duke have have actually shown to be genuine and good. found myself rooting for Duke last night against Ohio State, if you told me years ago I would ever root for Duke in a game I would have laughed in your face.

Reaction Score
Never liked Duke and coach K, actually have kind of hated them for a long time. I have definitely took stock and changed my position, coach K has always had our backs and has had nothing but nice things to say about Calhoun and UConn while it has been fashionable for everyone else to bash us. These other schools had shown themselves to be spiteful and lacking integrity, they will smile in your face and stab you in the back. Coach K and Duke have have actually shown to be genuine and good. found myself rooting for Duke last night against Ohio State, if you told me years ago I would ever root for Duke in a game I would have laughed in your face.

Agreed. Good point.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was going to post the same thing, John. After INTENSELY hating Duke for the past 22 years, it just kind of evaporated over the past week.

They -- and Coach K -- had our back. The BEST schools in the ACC (Duke, UNC, UVA, WF) had our back. Those excellent academic institutions respect UConn. They have my respect in return.

Reaction Score
Even Jurich admitted that the ACC didn't invite them. He created the need to include UofL.

Why does everyone take what folks say at face value - particular those in the public eye?

Until someone from the ACC corroborates Jurich's story, I'm going to assume he's just puffing himself up.

Reaction Score
I was going to post the same thing, John. After INTENSELY hating Duke for the past 22 years, it just kind of evaporated over the past week.

They -- and Coach K -- had our back. The BEST schools in the ACC (Duke, UNC, UVA, WF) had our back. Those excellent academic institutions respect UConn. They have my respect in return.

And it was reported that Syracuse and Pitt, although non-voting, did not. They are POS!

Reaction Score

Pointed this out in other thread - i realize it's twitter and i realize it a Louisville beat writer but just saying...

ericcrawford Nov 28, 7:28pm via TweetDeck
#UofL coach Rick Pitino said he and Mike Krzyzewski had a lengthy conversation about ACC in the Bahamas. "Mike was all-in with Louisville."

Doesn't mean he was anti-UConn either.

Reaction Score
People act like this is a matter of selling the school. That somehow, if someone "pounds the pavement" enough, one day one conference will just wake up an decided to add UConn. These aren't overnight decisions here. And they're not made because of some fancy pitch or presentation. They're made based on the specific merits of the school and what the conference is looking for. The idea that if UConn whores itself out to the Big 10/Big 12 enough that one of them will let it in is ridiculous.

Despite the emotional side of things, the ACC remains not only the best option for the school, but also the only likely option. The idea that theBig 12 wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the SEC wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the Pac-12 wants UConn is laughable. There's probably the slimmest of slim hopes that the Big 10 is interested, but the ACC is likely the only probable option. And the ACC remains the best fir geographically, rival-wise, and possibly academically.

It's somewhat akin to divorce. People want to get emotional and waste money on lawyers fighting over stuff. And people here want to be bitter and hate the ACC for what it's done. But in the end, the rational outcome is the ACC is UConn's best and likely only hope.

Reaction Score
Sure, why not! Notre Dame = Iceberg ACC = Titanic
Sounds like a good option.......

Reaction Score
People act like this is a matter of selling the school. That somehow, if someone "pounds the pavement" enough, one day one conference will just wake up an decided to add UConn. These aren't overnight decisions here. And they're not made because of some fancy pitch or presentation. They're made based on the specific merits of the school and what the conference is looking for. The idea that if UConn whores itself out to the Big 10/Big 12 enough that one of them will let it in is ridiculous.

Despite the emotional side of things, the ACC remains not only the best option for the school, but also the only likely option. The idea that theBig 12 wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the SEC wants UConn is laughable. The idea that the Pac-12 wants UConn is laughable. There's probably the slimmest of slim hopes that the Big 10 is interested, but the ACC is likely the only probable option. And the ACC remains the best fir geographically, rival-wise, and possibly academically.

It's somewhat akin to divorce. People want to get emotional and waste money on lawyers fighting over stuff. And people here want to be bitter and hate the ACC for what it's done. But in the end, the rational outcome is the ACC is UConn's best and likely only hope.

I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm not suggesting that Uconn whore itself out. What I am suggesting is that Uconn let it be known that they are not tied to the ACC. Create opportunities for discussions. And yes, present what Uconn brings to the table.

Ironically, while you mention that it isn't an overnight decision, it seems like UofL over Uconn was just that.

And, while we're talking about the merits of Uconn, how is UofL a better fit. In every category Uconn is ahead of UofL. the only category which Uconn lost was votes. And that sucks.

You can take the Warde Manuel approach and monitor the situation. I think Uconn has taken that approach and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. If Uconn had an opportunity to join the Big12, you don't think they would accept?
The process is very fluid. 3 weeks ago, people actually did laugh at the Big10 wanting Rutgers.

So you keep laughing...

What I hope Warde and Susan do is take a proactive approach to getting Uconn somewhere other than the NBE. If that's the Big10, Big12 or ACC I don't care... Just be proactive. Monitoring the situation won't cut it anymore.

Here's another fact. Had Jurich simply monitored the situation, do you honestly think they would be in the ACC right now? Not a chance. UofL made this opportunity and it worked. Uconn needs to learn from this and the other rounds of realignment and move forward.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Pointed this out in other thread - i realize it's twitter and i realize it a Louisville beat writer but just saying...

ericcrawford Nov 28, 7:28pm via TweetDeck
#UofL coach Rick Pitino said he and Mike Krzyzewski had a lengthy conversation about ACC in the Bahamas. "Mike was all-in with Louisville."

Doesn't mean he was anti-UConn either.

I saw that, too. Obviously the schools that supported us supported Louisville, too, when their name came up. (Or almost all of them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom