At the Georgetown Game Today | The Boneyard

At the Georgetown Game Today

Reaction Score
This was my first time seeing the team live this season.

I was at this same game last year and there was about half the amount of people present last year than today.

Tristan is the best on the team at drawing fouls. Should've gotten more calls this game, Hurley was pisssssed for one of the missed calls in the first half, barking at the baseline ref at the opposite end of the court.

AJ's rebounding is so understated. It's very different seeing how high he gets on defensive rebounds live than on TV. Game-changing.

Loved seeing our three best players each have nasty dunks.

Awesome to get a LOUD "Let's go huskies!" chant at an away game. Fanbase continues to travel well.

The moment Clingan learns how to build good habits with avoiding cheap defensive fouls is when he'll become as close to an unstoppable college basketball player as there is.

Loved watching Hurley's energy on the sideline. Pretty evident he ramped up his energy level compared to recent games.

Hassan and Naheim looked lost out there. They're really hurting our depth at this point.

Overall, great game and happy I decided to attend.

Reaction Score
This was my first time seeing the team live this season.

I was at this same game last year and there was about half the amount of people present last year than today.

Tristan is the best on the team at drawing fouls. Should've gotten more calls this game, Hurley was pisssssed for one of the missed calls in the first half, barking at the baseline ref at the opposite end of the court.

AJ's rebounding is so understated. It's very different seeing how high he gets on defensive rebounds live than on TV. Game-changing.

Loved seeing our three best players each have nasty dunks.

Awesome to get a LOUD "Let's go huskies!" chant at an away game. Fanbase continues to travel well.

The moment Clingan learns how to build good habits with avoiding cheap defensive fouls is when he'll become as close to an unstoppable college basketball player as there is.

Loved watching Hurley's energy on the sideline. Pretty evident he ramped up his energy level compared to recent games.

Hassan and Naheim looked lost out there. They're really hurting our depth at this point.

Overall, great game and happy I decided to attend.
I'd like to see A.J. come back next year as a senior because he seems to be good at almost everything (athleticism, defense, rebounding, passing, leadership, etc.)....but his offense seems to need some work. If he polishes up his offensive game a bit more he could be a top 3 lottery pick next year.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see A.J. come back next year as a senior because he seems to be good at almost everything (athleticism, defense, rebounding, passing, leadership, etc.)....but his offense seems to need some work. If he polishes up his offensive game a bit more he could be a top 3 lottery pick next year.

I've thought long and hard about who I'd compare AJ to in the NBA. I know this player is a future hall of famer, MVP, etc., so strictly based on their playing styles, I'd say he's a taller Russel Westbrook.

Elite athleticism, stat-stuffer, extremely competitive, excellent court vision, above-average rebounder at their position, and more times than not simply beat you with their effort alone. Their downfalls are both have historically struggled with their jump shot and regularly play too fast/at one pace.

Hope he comes back too. I've said it once I'll say it again, favorite husky since Kemba.

Reaction Score
Holy cow.

Reaction Score
I've thought long and hard about who I'd compare AJ to in the NBA. I know this player is a future hall of famer, MVP, etc., so strictly based on their playing styles, I'd say he's a taller Russel Westbrook.

Elite athleticism, stat-stuffer, extremely competitive, excellent court vision, above-average rebounder at their position, and more times than not simply beat you with their effort alone. Their downfalls are both have historically struggled with their jump shot and regularly play too fast/at one pace.

Hope he comes back too. I've said it once I'll say it again, favorite husky since Kemba.
But Westbrook is at least a passable shooter and attacks the rim, and he’s an ok but not amazing passer, so I’d argue they’re not really alike.

Jackson is Ben Simmons before Simmons gave up, with a worse offensive game somehow. He’s bouncier than Simmons but Simmons is bigger so about equal. Both are divine passes and good on ball defenders. But even Simmons could shoot jumpers from 12 feet instead of one handed push shots.

Jackson won’t be a first round pick, let alone a top three pick, unless he makes huge strides in his shot. It’s a disservice to how great he can be as a player if he doesn’t at least try to break it down and totally revamp it this off-season.

Reaction Score

You can find similarities but one guys biggest strength is the other guys biggest weakness so it’s a non starter imo.

AJ was quoted earlier this year saying he made a 4 year commitment to the uni.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It is definitely true that live it’s startling how much of the court Jackson covers. He is all over the place and no one else is even close.

Can someone please put in a call to Chris brickley?? The guy is too talented to be a couple pieces away from a long nba career

Reaction Score
But Westbrook is at least a passable shooter and attacks the rim, and he’s an ok but not amazing passer, so I’d argue they’re not really alike.

Jackson is Ben Simmons before Simmons gave up, with a worse offensive game somehow. He’s bouncier than Simmons but Simmons is bigger so about equal. Both are divine passes and good on ball defenders. But even Simmons could shoot jumpers from 12 feet instead of one handed push shots.

Jackson won’t be a first round pick, let alone a top three pick, unless he makes huge strides in his shot. It’s a disservice to how great he can be as a player if he doesn’t at least try to break it down and totally revamp it this off-season.

I respectfully disagree. For his career, Westbrook is averaging 8 1/2 assists and has averaged over 10 assists for 5 seasons. He is an ELITE passer.

He's also a career 30% three-point shooter and has oddly regressed as a shooter in recent years. Just watch a single Laker game this year. Every team sags off of him when he's at the 3 pt line, just like AJ.

Reaction Score
Dude - a top 3 lottery pick is heady stuff. Teams are just daring him to shoot. His form is all off. Really good in other aspects of the game but in the Association it is all about shooting. He has one component of a 3 and D player - the defense. The ability to create his own shot is suspect. Appreciate what he is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best part of the game watching on TV was when UConn fans started some UConn chants in the second half. Easily heard on TV.

Later in the second half coming out of a timeout the announcer or MC had to start a "Let's Go Hoyas" chant over the mic to make sure the UConn cheers weren't heard. Of course, as soon as he went off the loudspeakers the arean went back to being dead.

Reaction Score

At this point the best comp might be Dennis Rodman. Pre-Bulls Rodman was a quiet guy and a great team player like AJax is. His aversion to scoring stayed constant and he was a prolific rebounder and versatile defender. Rodman better than AJ at defending bigs, AJ better at defending guards. Don't think flashy 6-hair color Rodman, think Detroit Pistons version.

Regardless put me in the 4yrs of college for AJ camp. If UConn had remained a top-5 team all year AJ had a chance to ride that into the first round. He will be able to do that next year with the recruiting class coming. Very happy to continue to watch him play and develop.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
@Dogdeacon - I've asked that before since I'm not knowledgeable about NBA but Rodman seems to be the closest comp - would Rodman get drafted/play today?

Reaction Score
I would compare Andre to a Draymond Green. Draymond rebounds, defends, and passes well, but can’t shoot.

Reaction Score
If Jackson doesn’t
I respectfully disagree. For his career, Westbrook is averaging 8 1/2 assists and has averaged over 10 assists for 5 seasons. He is an ELITE passer.

He's also a career 30% three-point shooter and has oddly regressed as a shooter in recent years. Just watch a single Laker game this year. Every team sags off of him when he's at the 3 pt line, just like AJ.
Westbrook can do what he does because he attacks the rim well. "Shooter" in this sense is probably better defined as "scorer". Jackson isn't even a threat to lay the ball in. His jump shot is nowhere near as good as Westbrook's, whose pull up game was lethal for years. He's regressed as a shooter because he can't get to the rim at the same clip as he used to (defense not giving him space) and he's losing his legs. His passing was never elite, he got a ton of assists because he could break defenses down with the threat of getting to the rim at will and then dump it off to some very talented players/pick and roll partners.

Reaction Score
At this point the best comp might be Dennis Rodman. Pre-Bulls Rodman was a quiet guy and a great team player like AJax is. His aversion to scoring stayed constant and he was a prolific rebounder and versatile defender. Rodman better than AJ at defending bigs, AJ better at defending guards. Don't think flashy 6-hair color Rodman, think Detroit Pistons version.

Regardless put me in the 4yrs of college for AJ camp. If UConn had remained a top-5 team all year AJ had a chance to ride that into the first round. He will be able to do that next year with the recruiting class coming. Very happy to continue to watch him play and develop.
Unless a team takes a huge, huge risk on him, Jackson isn't going in the first round unless and until he fixes his jump shot. You don't need a perfect J to play in the NBA if you bring all of the other skills Jackson does to the table, but he can't score at all right now from any level, and his set shot 3 pointer isn't cutting it in the NBA.

I love what Jackson brings to UConn, and I hope he comes back and shines next year. Any talk of him getting drafted top 3/in the first round is crazy unless he can show he's not a total black hole scoring wise. You can't play 4 v 5 offensively in the NBA with your wing being the guy who can't shoot. 95% of NBA centers are better shooters than he is right now.

Reaction Score
Andre getting drafted in top 3 picks is delusional. To get drafted anywhere in first round he would need to come back senior year and show remarkable improvement to jump shot form, FG %, and lead team to deep ncaa run.
He wasn’t a McDonalds All American coming out of high school, which by itself is probably enough to disqualify him from top 3 pick.
Remember Deandre Daniel’s who helped lead UConn to championship in 2014? 6’-9 could score inside and out, rebound, defend.. Pure shooting form … scored 36 points against Iowa St in regional to carry UConn.
He got drafted in 2nd round in the 40s. It is very hard to get drafted in 1st round.
Comparisons to Westbrook are also delusional. Russell scored over 50 points in an NBA game several times.

Reaction Score
Best part of the game watching on TV was when UConn fans started some UConn chants in the second half. Easily heard on TV.

Later in the second half coming out of a timeout the announcer or MC had to start a "Let's Go Hoyas" chant over the mic to make sure the UConn cheers weren't heard. Of course, as soon as he went off the loudspeakers the arean went back to being dead.

People outside Washington can't imagine how much the Georgetown fan base is burned out.

Reaction Score
What on earth does being a McDonald’s All American in high school have to do with getting drafted in the NBA? Relevance your honor?

It is delusional to think he can be drafted in the top 3 however.

Reaction Score
If Jackson doesn’t

Westbrook can do what he does because he attacks the rim well. "Shooter" in this sense is probably better defined as "scorer". Jackson isn't even a threat to lay the ball in. His jump shot is nowhere near as good as Westbrook's, whose pull up game was lethal for years. He's regressed as a shooter because he can't get to the rim at the same clip as he used to (defense not giving him space) and he's losing his legs. His passing was never elite, he got a ton of assists because he could break defenses down with the threat of getting to the rim at will and then dump it off to some very talented players/pick and roll partners.
Again, agree to disagree.

You're not in the top 10 all-time assist leaders in the NBA if you're not an elite passer.

Reaction Score
What on earth does being a McDonald’s All American in high school have to do with getting drafted in the NBA? Relevance your honor?

It is delusional to think he can be drafted in the top 3 however.
Almost all of the lottery picks that played high school in US, are top 25 recruits coming out of high school. That cohort of players have been monitored by NBA scouts throughout all of high school. Generally making that list means you have a high ceiling. It is a stamp of approval that NBA scouts want. There are of course exceptions for late bloomers And people the scouts missed, but it is an uphill battle to be a lottery pick, especially a top 7 if you missed that accolade coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
Again, agree to disagree.

You're not in the top 10 all-time assist leaders in the NBA if you're not an elite passer.
Fair, but even granting that he's a good passer.....that's where the similarities in their games begins and ends.

Reaction Score
Fair, but even granting that he's a good passer.....that's where the similarities in their games begins and ends.
Again to the again, agree to disagree for the original reasons I outlined.

Reaction Score
Almost all of the lottery picks that played high school in US, are top 25 recruits coming out of high school. That cohort of players have been monitored by NBA scouts throughout all of high school. Generally making that list means you have a high ceiling. It is a stamp of approval that NBA scouts want. There are of course exceptions for late bloomers And people the scouts missed, but it is an uphill battle to be a lottery pick, especially a top 7 if you missed that accolade coming out of high school.
With more recent and relevant college performance with which to make evaluations do you really think NBA scouts care a whit about some high school award? I don't.

Reaction Score
With more recent and relevant college performance with which to make evaluations do you really think NBA scouts care a whit about some high school award? I don't.
I do think they care. Look at 2021 NBA Draft
1. Cade Cunningham
2. Jalen Green
3. Evan Mobley
4.Scottie Barnes
5. Jalen Suggs.

Now compare that with ESPNU 100 and look at 5 topped ranked recruits coming out of high school … Same 5 guys in different order.

Last year Chet Holmgren number 2 pick after pretty mediocre freshman campaign at Gonzaga.

The NBA drafts for potential, not who played the best in college.

Reaction Score
Cam Whitmore of Villanova currently projected to go #8 in draft, even though he has done little to help an anemic Villanova team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom