At the Georgetown Game Today

Reaction Score
I do think they care. Look at 2021 NBA Draft
1. Cade Cunningham
2. Jalen Green
3. Evan Mobley
4.Scottie Barnes
5. Jalen Suggs.

Now compare that with ESPNU 100 and look at 5 topped ranked recruits coming out of high school … Same 5 guys in different order.

Last year Chet Holmgren number 2 pick after pretty mediocre freshman campaign at Gonzaga.

The NBA drafts for potential, not who played the best in college.
Well, you've changed things up a couple times now. At one point you're talking about top 3 pick and others its lottery pick. You started by insisting that being a MCD AA is critical and now you're talking about ranking instead (yeah, I get there is correlation there). Agree to disagree I guess. I just don't see an NBA scout watching a college player and giving a hoot if he has a piece of paper saying he won a particular high school award. That's like an employer considering a new college grad and ignoring their collegiate body of work and focusing on their SAT score. Which do you think is a better indicator of how they will perform in the workplace?

Scout's notes: Player X versus high major school Y

Exhibits excellent athleticism and shows great range beyond the arc. Scores at all three levels and is strong defensively. Rebounds well for his position. Plays with confidence and shows leadership, consider top first round pick. Oh wait, never mind, I see here he wasn't on the McDonald's All American team.

Sure they draft on potential, what I'm saying is that what a player exhibits playing college ball is a much better indicator of their ceiling than having been selected for some quasi-political high school award team. Take Holmgren for example, despite being a MCD, there might have been questions about his potential vis-a-vis strength coming out of high school. He held up well in college and its that potential on which he was drafted. IMO, if scouts are placing more weight on whether or not someone was on the MCD team, that is professional malpractice.

You can have the last word on this one if you like, it doesn't seem like we're going to change the other's mind.

Reaction Score
Again to the again, agree to disagree for the original reasons I outlined.
Right but none of those reasons are correct. Westbrook is ten thousand times the bucket getter Jackson is. Russ is a very good rebounder for his position; Jackson is an ok rebounder but nothing amazing for a wing. I guess they're both athletic and make hustle and boneheaded plays in equal measure? They're just nothing alike as players at all. Jackson is more like Zach Levine mixed with Ricky Rubio minus any sort of scoring prowess.

Reaction Score
I would compare Andre to a Draymond Green. Draymond rebounds, defends, and passes well, but can’t shoot.
It's a pretty decent comp, though AJax is a thousand times the athlete Draymond is but Draymond has a much, much higher bball IQ.

Wonder what the difference in their size is. Draymond is lucky that he's a little bigger - playing him at center masks his offensive liabilities and lets the other aspects of his game shine. Shame we can't play AJax as a small ball five.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom