at the end of the day, we're not bowling despite | The Boneyard

at the end of the day, we're not bowling despite

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
playing an incredibly weak schedule

the Big East is abysmal, not sure there is one quality OOC win to be found (maybe USF over ND)

we lost to 6-5 Louisville, 2-3 OOC and a team that lost to FIU, Marshall & UNC
5-5 Pitt, 2-3 OOC with losses to ND, Utah & IA (respectable teams, but not great)
7-3 WVU, not one quality OOC win, blown out by LSU @ home
6-5 WMU, a 6-5 MAC team for heaven's sake
5-6 Vandy, we're the best team they beat, enough said
6-4 ISU, our claim to fame. Somebody that we competed with beat OSU

to date, it's possible we only played 3 teams that will bowling , with 2 on the bubble

OUR SOS IS 73, the worst of any BCS conference school

we are 4-6

and it's nothing about coaching to some

look what Jim Calhoun did with Perno's recruits. He won the NIT in year 2. and you can see the turn around in year one

I'm sorry, there is nothing I've seen that gives me confidence in the direction of our program.

I hope I eat my words

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. - Thomas Paine

Yes, it sucks right now, but there's nothing that can be done but hope for a better season next year. It's easy to be fan when things are cranking.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, there is nothing I've seen that gives me confidence in the direction of our program.

I hope I eat my words

Agreed. It's certainly not all about coaching like you said, but Pasqualoni hasn't shown me anything to make me feel like he is the right man for the job.

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma State was supposed to be the 2nd best team in the country and Iowa State beat them barely we should have beat Iowa. We are not that bad. But can you run into the punter, drop touchdown passes? How many dropped Balls? 10 ? If we didn't make so many mistakes we should be 8-2 9-1

Reaction Score
look what Jim Calhoun did with Perno's recruits. He won the NIT in year 2. and you can see the turn around in year one

I am much more a basketball guy than a football one but there is no way you can compare turning things around between the sports. Much easier in hoops. There is no "Cliff Robinson" (who spent almost 20 years in the NBA) on the football team. It is also much easier to change offenseive and defensive schemes in hoops with the previous guys players. The reason I have some hope is that PP seems to be bringing in a higher quality recruit than RE ever did. Once PP's own guys are here and he has a chance to fit them in I think Uconn will be much better off.

Reaction Score
I prefer to think we are going to win our last two games and go to a bowl, then win the bowl game and finish 7-6.

and BTW Calhoun won 9 games his first year at UCONN. Yes he lost Cliffy and Phil Gamble to academics, but that is like P losing Robbie Frey, Cody Endres and Michael Smith each of whom would have been the best player at their position on this team.

Thank goodness JC got more than one year to show what he can do.

willie99

Reaction Score
Vuce, if it wasn't for Jim Calhoun, Cliff Robinson doesn't sniff the NBA

metsfan, he started a walkon named Greg Economu in his 1st year after he lost two starters and his teams were still more competitive than Perno's

you could see it, there was nothing but optimism even during his 1st year. Gerry Besselink said after the season that he wished he had 4 years to play for JC, no idea how good he would have become or what he might have accomplished

you can make comparisons, in attitude, improvement and direction

some people think PP is going to be a new man with his own recruits. I think he's going to be the same

Reaction Score
metsfan, he started a walkon named Greg Economu in his 1st year after he lost two starters and his teams were still more competitive than Perno's

Correct Greg Economu was a walk-on, just like McEntee.

BTW Calhoun's Big East Record his first three years:

3-13
4-12
6-10

Dom Perno's Big East record his last three years at UCONN:
5-11
6-10
3-13

That's right, Dom Perno's Big East record during his last three years was one game better than Calhoun's Big East record his first three years...

and in year four of Calhoun's tenure (the dream season) I was at the Civic Center and saw Calhoun's team booed off the court (yes they booed college kids back then) at the end of the first half after they scored just 16 points against Villanova.

Bottom Line: It's way too early to decide P is a failure.

willie99

Reaction Score
Calhoun won the NIT in year 2, something unimaginable at the time.

Perno missed post season play his last 4 years

PP did not inherent a miserably failing program from a coach who was fired. What he inherited was defending conference champions with 13 returning starters and lots of experience playing decent football.

can't even comprehend how you could compare the two men, or even the direction of their program in year one

polar opposites from the starting line

Reaction Score
PP did not inherent a miserably failing program from a coach who was fired. What he inherited was defending conference champions with 13 returning starters and lots of experience playing decent football.

We lost a ton from last years team, stop trying to minimize it. And by the way a typical Big East record for Edsall was 3-4. (Look it up) P can still exceed that in year one of his tenure. I still can't believe we got blown out by a lousy Rutgers team last year.

I don't know if P will succeed here, I just know its too early to call him a failure.

and BTW year three of Calhoun's tenure was just a bit disappointing. I remember it well. We won the NIT the year before and Cliffy and Phil were seniors, Chris Smith was a highly touted Freshman, Tate George was a solid PG and for some reason that team never gelled. We went into year four with low expectations (picked to finish last in the pre-season poll) and then the whole thing exploded. The only point I am making in bringing it up is that it takes time.

Reaction Score
We lost a ton from last years team, stop trying to minimize it. And by the way a typical Big East record for Edsall was 3-4. (Look it up) P can still exceed that in year one of his tenure. I still can't believe we got blown out by a lousy Rutgers team last year.

I don't know if P will succeed here, I just know its too early to call him a failure.

and BTW year three of Calhoun's tenure was just a bit disappointing. I remember it well. We won the NIT the year before and Cliffy and Phil were seniors, Chris Smith was a highly touted Freshman, Tate George was a solid PG and for some reason that team never gelled. We went into year four with low expectations (picked to finish last in the pre-season poll) and then the whole thing exploded. The only point I am making in bringing it up is that it takes time.

This is Edsall bashing at its irrational best, in terms of why many of us don't understand it. We got blown out by Rutgers last year? We were winning the game with 4 minutes left to play. And, if you look at the last four years in the Big EAst, the years we competed with players who were actually recruited when we were in the Big EAst, we were 16-12. You can add in records of the first three years all you want, but why a rational person would expect a team to succeed in the Big East with players who were recruited when we never had played a BCS conference game, or before we had a real stadium, is beyond me.

Randy Edsall had plenty of faults and did plenty of things wrong. There really shouldn't be a need for these phony facts and arguments to criticize him. And, more importantly, what in the world does any of that have to do with what we have or haven't achieved this year?

Reaction Score
I was an Apologista, but I firmly believe that Randy knew exactly what this year would look like from a talent perspective. He's wanted out of here badly for years now, and the fires were never gonna be hotter than they were after last year. So he takes his "dream job" at MD. Good for him.

But the premise of this thread is built on the comparison to what Calhoun did in hoops. Which is just idiotic.

willie99

Reaction Score
the premise of this thread is really all about how bad this year is, even worse than the record indicates. We're 4-6 while playing in an abysmal conference and with a weak OOC schedule. We have the weakest SOS of all the teams in BCS conferences.

The Calhoun reference was just about showing how a good coach can have an immediate positive influence, something I just don't see this year.

Reaction Score
This year has been bad? I was unaware. Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't change the fact that the Calhoun reference was idiotic.

willie99

Reaction Score
the difference between good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads