At Her Best Now: Phee and Geno Agree | The Boneyard

At Her Best Now: Phee and Geno Agree

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1551892454812.png

Napheesa Collier’s senior season: ‘Even more remarkable’ than sophomore year

“The difference in Pheesa now as opposed to as a sophomore is sophomore year no one knew what was coming. No one expected it, and she took the country by surprise,” coach Geno Auriemma said. “She’s accomplishing the same things, but now everybody knows that she’s the focal point of their defense. So to be able to do it at this stage is even more remarkable than her sophomore year.”

“I like the pressure,” Collier said of this season. “I think that I perform well under pressure so I like it. The hardest part is figuring out what you’re supposed to be doing each year. My role this year is totally different than it was last year, and it’s more similar to my sophomore year. That’s the hardest part — finding out what your role is on the current team — but it’s been fun.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
View attachment 40593

Napheesa Collier’s senior season: ‘Even more remarkable’ than sophomore year

“The difference in Pheesa now as opposed to as a sophomore is sophomore year no one knew what was coming. No one expected it, and she took the country by surprise,” coach Geno Auriemma said. “She’s accomplishing the same things, but now everybody knows that she’s the focal point of their defense. So to be able to do it at this stage is even more remarkable than her sophomore year.”

“I like the pressure,” Collier said of this season. “I think that I perform well under pressure so I like it. The hardest part is figuring out what you’re supposed to be doing each year. My role this year is totally different than it was last year, and it’s more similar to my sophomore year. That’s the hardest part — finding out what your role is on the current team — but it’s been fun.”
Hmmm, that would make me a little bit concerned about how she will fare at the WNBA level.

What she seems to be saying is that she is more at home playing in or near the paint, i.e., she likes to be a 4 rather than a 3. But she is undersized to be a regular 4 in the W. She will have to function more as a 3, which means that she will have to get her 3-point shot back up to about a 40% accuracy level, and she will have to accommodate teammates who occupy the paint as Azura often did last year.

Based strictly on size, Lou is naturally a 4 at the pro level, and Pheesa is a 3. Unfortunately, that is the opposite of both of their preferences, and may make the transition to the pro level more difficult for both of them.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, that would make me a little bit concerned about how she will fare at the WNBA level.

What she seems to be saying is that she is more at home playing in or near the paint, i.e., she likes to be a 4 rather than a 3. But she is undersized to be a regular 4 in the W. She will have to function more as a 3, which means that she will have to get her 3-point shot back up to about a 40% accuracy level, and she will have to accommodate teammates who occupy the paint as Azura often did last year.

Based strictly on size, Lou is naturally a 4 at the pro level, and Pheesa is a 3. Unfortunately, that is the opposite of both of their preferences, and may make the transition to the pro level more difficult for both of them.
Collier has such a nice touch from mid-range and so many pro moves to the hoop. She will leave the big girl dazed in the WNBD. Her weak spot is defending the big girl but that is not what trader Bill will have her doing. He can rely on her just about anywhere else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom