Who wins

• Mulkey and Rice

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • CTT and the Devils

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Tip off is in 2 hour, 9am MST. and actually I'll be listening at 8:00 a.m. Arizona time as we do not go on daylight savings time.

I'll be listening to Jeff Munn on the Sun Devil radio network.

This game should be interesting to see how the Devils defend 6 ft 9 Nancy Mulkey. Back in December Rice led Texas A&M at the half and played the Aggies tough in a four-point loss.

WHAT: WNIT First Round – Sun Devil WBB (11-10, 6-9 Pac-12) vs. Rice (18-4, 12-2 C-USA)
WHEN: Friday at 9 a.m. MST/11 a.m. CDT
WHERE: Wilkerson-Greines Activity Center • Fort Worth, Texas
WATCH: FloHoops.com ($)
RADIO: KAZG 1440 AM
LIVE STATS: Click here

Reaction Score
1616164102389.png

Devils ringing the victory bell.

Reaction Score
3 minutes in the game no score. Then Rice hits a jumper to take a two-zip lead 6 minutes 28 seconds into the game.

2-0 Rice halfway through the first quarter. Eboni Walker picks up her second foul. Not a good sign for the Sun Devils.

Reaction Score
ASU 0-9 from the field 3 minutes left in the first quarter with a late media time out. That Sun Devil offense I'll just drive you nuts as CTTs team has yet to score.

Reaction Score
Devils on a four nothing run to take a 4-2 lead. Mulkey a non-factor so far.

Senior Bre Sanders picks up her 2nd foul. Good thing ASU has a deep bench as two of our key players with two fouls.

Rice converts one, ASU clinging to a 4-3 lead as the first quarter winds down.

5-4 Rice at the quarter. Each team hits two shots and are a combined 4 for 25 from the field. Is it the early start? Rice has averaged 48% from the field for the year. Is it the defense?

Rice finding the range 11-6 as the two teams are 0 for 13 from three land.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Foul Fest. ASU Simmons and Caldwell each pick up their second. Seems like ASU's entire team has two fouls with a minute left in the half.

15-12 at the half.

ASU announcer Jeff Munn describes the first half action as lively but low scoring. At least half of that observation is empirically true.

Reaction Score
ASU has two single digit quarters in the first half scoring four in the first and doubling that output to eight in the second.

Hanson then picks up her third foul on the first possession of the second half. But then comes down and nails a three to tie this game 15 all.

Reaction Score
Strong defense and Walker hits two layups in a row off turnovers and the Devils take the lead!

Sun Devil offensive explosion! Lol

19-16!

Hanson nails her second three of the quarter.

Midway through the third quarter Devils with 15 personal fouls Rice with seven. Wondered to what extent that will play a factor in the fourth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rice is talented but turn the ball over like crazy.
Jeff Munn observing that Rice is not prepared for the defensive intensity that ASU brings. Munns recounting previous first round tournament games in which coaches said the same thing

Reaction Score
Freshman Maggie Besselink with a drive to the hoop and the and one. And she hits the free throw for an old fashioned three.

25-24 Devils.

ASU point guard Jaddan Simmons picks up her third foul joining Taya Hanson in the foul trouble club midway through the third quarter.

Reaction Score
Simmons hits a 3 as third ends as Devils take a 31-30 lead, scoring 18 in the 3rd.

Mulkey with 14 points and 3 blocks.

Reaction Score
Rice opens the 4th on a 6-0 run and the Devils are in trouble 37-31, with 6 minutes remaining.

The Devils next game is either Fresno State or Missouri depending upon outcomes.

Reaction Score
Looks like ASU will play loser of Fresno State-Missouri as the deficit climbs to 10.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of CTT and the Sun Devils but it has always perplexed me why they don't score more.

I know they are a defensive minded team but it seems they are always quite anemic on the offensive end of the floor. Defense can win games and travel but you got to be able to put points on the board.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
any score update?

Ok, as the live stats was showing Missouri's game, I logged onto ESPN and saw 48-36 final. 4 points in the 1st quarter and 5 points in the 4th quarter? Come on, that's atrocious. It's not like Rice is a defensive juggernaut even with Mulkey.

I know @azfan loves CTT but this is a terrible job. The team is always overly physical (18 fouls and I am sure the refs got tired of calling everything so add in 5 more). and just putrid shooting- 14 for 57 and 3 for 22 is just abysmal.

CTT needs to pick it up or else she's going continue to be in the bottom half of the PAC12 when once she was top quartile. I don't see it getting better any time soon.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
19 of their 36 points were in Q3?! Wow, what an abysmal offensive showing for ASU. I've made no secret I don't care for them, but I pretty much get into conference solidarity during the post season. Tough year for CTT's squad.

Reaction Score
19 of their 36 points were in Q3?! Wow, what an abysmal offensive showing for ASU. I've made no secret I don't care for them, but I pretty much get into conference solidarity during the post season. Tough year for CTT's squad.
ASU scored single digits in three of the quarters for 17 points. Their third quarter outburst was more than the other three quarters combined. Holding rice to 48 points was a strong enough defense to win 99% of the time.

@DefenseBB is absolutely correct. The Devils rarely have a high scoring team but back in the Robbi Ryan years there were any number of players who could hit a shot. Not an excuse but I wonder how much the abbreviated practice schedules due to covid may have impacted the ability of CTT to get the most out of this team's offense. Hopefully we'll see next year.

In the fourth quarter the Sun Devils were 2 for 17.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ASU scored single digits in three of the quarters for 17 points. Their third quarter outburst was more than the other three quarters combined. Holding rice to 48 points was a strong enough defense to win 99% of the time.

@DefenseBB is absolutely correct. The Devils rarely have a high scoring team but back in the Robbi Ryan years there were any number of players who could hit a shot. Not an excuse but I wonder how much the abbreviated practice schedules due to covid may have impacted the ability of CTT to get the most out of this team's offense. Hopefully we'll see next year.

It's been my experience that when anyone starts the sentence stating "Not an excuse but..." it's always an attempt at an excuse. Yes, I agree the Robbi Ryan years were higher scoring but let's not act like CTT EVER has high flowing offense. Just stop and admit this year was not good and hope for better.
Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score

lol CTT is a defense first coach and rarely has a team that is high scoring, but she often has a flowing offense - just not this year. Wonder if the Devils break 50 against Missouri.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom