ASU Sun Devils | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ASU Sun Devils

Reaction Score
@azfan did an ASU player just get injured yesterday or today? I was watching the end of the 1st half vs. MTSU, and in a halftime interview CTT was asked about someone's status (I didn't catch the name) and Charli's response was "she's out for the game."

Maybe Kiara Russell? She played 20 minutes in yesterday's loss to Purdue but isn't on the box score today.
It's Jamie Ruden. She's our 6 2 big from Minnesota. She has reoccuring back issues and in the last home game in Tempe she was wearing a boot. So I think she is dealing with perhaps a stress fracture in her foot? Similar injury to Robbie Ryan who is on a minutes limit and did play in the game last night and won the game with two free throws with 30 seconds left.

Reaction Score
The Devil's squeaked out a 1 point win yesterday against Middle Tennessee State. This game against a mid-major demonstrated again that the Devils have very limited outside shooting, are challenged by a lack of height, do not have the trademark ferocious defense of previous teams and are dealing with some injuries. That said senior Robbi Ryan won the game with two free throws with 30 seconds left. ASU should not have been in this situation as they led by 10 points at the half. Middle Tennessee made a great run in the second half and actually took the lead. Fun game to watch but as I think about the Pac-12 and the game against Creighton at the end of the month I certainly do see a rebuilding year for CTT.

Reaction Score
Ugly sweater give away for early arrivals at BYU game tomorrow. I'll be there to get one... I hope.
78894642_10157606081492707_529077569287356416_n.jpg

Reaction Score
The Sun Devils overcame another abysmal shooting night. After scoring 17 points in the first half the Devil's rallied to beat BYU 60-52.

Even after scoring 43 points in the second half the Sun Devils shot less than 30% from the field and missed more than 10 free throws. Truly a horrible shooting performance. Fortunately CTT's defensive philosophy can keep them in games against meddling teams like a BYU.

Against BYU's huge front line that runs 6 7, 6 3, 6 3 Tapley was a beast. She had a double-double and pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds as the Devils did outrebounded the much taller Cougars.

We didn't learn much new about the Sun Devils other than Tapley really can rise to the occasion when challenged. After Idaho State the Sun Devils end the month playing Creighton and U of A Wildcats at home. At this point I'd be happy with a split of those two games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great summary. Based on Devil's shooting woes I predict an upset by Idaho State tomorrow.
CCT on Tapley:

Turner Thorne praised her senior forward and knows that every day she is getting better since joining the Sun Devils this season, after transferring from USC.

“She was a warrior, she keeps working on her winning habits,” Turner Thorne said. “Every day and every game she is getting better... She showed incredible toughness today.”

(The) impact player for the Sun Devils was senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley. Tapley played 36 minutes as Turner Thorne wanted her to matchup with Hamson. Hamson rarely sat on the bench but that didn't stop Tapley. She finished the game with 11 points and 18 rebounds. The 18 rebounds is the most for a Sun Devil in the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
Well the Devil's did it again. They were limited (or limited themselves) to 29 points in the first half against Idaho State and trailed by 6. They did manage to come back, send the game into overtime and win 74 to 69. In the postgame presser CTT was extremely critical of her team's preparation. She said the leadership of the seniors has been absent and the team is not watching nearly enough film or been shooting enough outside of practice.

This is highly unusual for Coach as she rarely makes negative comments about her squad or any individual. She is very concerned about this lack of film study and outside shooting and is concerned as she should be as the Devil's prepare to enter conference play.

They again shot poorly from the outside and were terrible from the free throw line again this evening missing 13 free throws. Two tough games next weekend and then we end the month as I've said before with Creighton on the 20th and the Arizona Wildcats on the 29th.

Two significant injuries in this game one on each side. After a very productive first quarter going 4 for 6 from the floor Robbie Ryan reinjured her ankle. She didn't re-enter the game and was in noticeable pain as she iced her ankle.

Idaho State had a player go down with a serious knee injury. She left the court in a wheel chair.

Reaction Score
Injury update for the Devils.

Robbi Ryan is doubtful for the weekend games against the New Mexico schools with what we hope is not a season-ending ankle injury.

Jamie Ruden was out of her walking boot and may be available for very limited minutes.

With these two seniors sidelined the Devils will have to rely increasingly on grad transfer Tapley and hope that the underclassmen have taken Coach Turner-Thorne's criticism to heart and invested time during final exam week in their preparation. Jeff Munn the outstanding play by play announcer for the Sun Devils indicated that many of the team had taken their finals early so there certainly may be time available for the Devil's to do what they need to do. I'm just concerned that it's too late in the season to make up for the lack of preparation over the first six weeks.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I live in PHX - not really an ASU fan, but I usually make it to 2-3 of their games a year, when Stanford, Oregon, etc. come to town. But your reports are making me lose interest in seeing them this year - heh heh. Worried about not seeing a competitive game. Thinking about driving to Tucson Jan 12 to see Aari McDonald play against Oregon. I did that last year and she put on a show - made Oregon work for it.
DO NOT DISSUEDE our esteemed Arizona colleague from posting on ASU, let’s keep encouraging them as these insights are awesome! At least ASU is playing a real schedule vs. UofA who is not and I still think ASU finishes 6th this year.
You have my full support and encouragement @azfan !
And @j66kicker come on, suck it up and go to the Standford, Oregon and OSU games at ASU if only to give us the insight scoop! ;)

Reaction Score
DO NOT DISSUEDE our esteemed Arizona colleague from posting on ASU, let’s keep encouraging them as these insights are awesome! At least ASU is playing a real schedule vs. UofA who is not and I still think ASU finishes 6th this year.
You have my full support and encouragement @azfan !
And @j66kicker come on, suck it up and go to the Standford, Oregon and OSU games at ASU if only to give us the insight scoop! ;)
Oh no - I absolutely do appreciate the updates from @azfan. I read them all - a couple of these is more than I get on local WCBB from the PHX media in a year. Just wish CTT had better facilities and more resources to recruit nationally and put an elite team together. Recruits could see this ain't a bad place to go to college if they'd actually visit here and see it (especially if they visit here in January when it's freezing cold where they live). With ASU's recent re-commitment to football (stadium upgrade, hiring Herm Edwards as coach and letting him bring in his cadre of NFL assistants, etc.), maybe the athletic dept will start to generate enough cash to do this.

Anyway, in all likelihood I will probably not be able to resist driving 20 minutes to see the real contending teams play, regardless of ASU's ineptitude this year.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Random aside...
The first time I met Coach Charli Turner-Thorne was back in 2001, when she was speaking at a legal seminar, at which I was an attendee (and a new lawyer, in my first year of practice).

Since CTT, a point guard, played her collegiate basketball at Stanford for Tara VanDerveer, I asked her what it was like to guard Jennifer Azzi (who was an All-American in college and a future Olympian) in college. Coach Turner-Thorne responded, "Uh, don't you mean what it was like for Jennifer to guard me in practice?"

She and I both then laughed, and she talked about playing against great players helped her improve, but also taught her the cerebral portions of the game and how to develop strategies, especially as the lead playmaker.

We have kept in touch since here and there, and I have enjoyed the times I have been able to speak with her.

Reaction Score
Random aside...
The first time I met Coach Charli Turner-Thorne was back in 2001, when she was speaking at a legal seminar, at which I was an attendee (and a new lawyer, in my first year of practice).

Since CTT, a point guard, played her collegiate basketball at Stanford for Tara VanDerveer, I asked her what it was like to guard Jennifer Azzi (who was an All-American in college and a future Olympian) in college. Coach Turner-Thorne responded, "Uh, don't you mean what it was like for Jennifer to guard me in practice?"

She and I both then laughed, and she talked about playing against great players helped her improve, but also taught her the cerebral portions of the game and how to develop strategies, especially as the lead playmaker.

We have kept in touch since here and there, and I have enjoyed the times I have been able to speak with her.
Thanks for that great story. I've always been extremely impressed by CTT. She is clearly very analytic and thoughtful and sees her job is more than just coaching basketball. Like Geno she views her role as helping these young ladies come in to grow and contribute in ways that extend far beyond basketball.

Reaction Score
Interesting news before tip-off.

First for ASU Robbi Ryan appears recovered and will start for the Sun Devils. Last weekend it appeared she suffered a severe ankle injury. The wonders of treatment she's ready to go.

On the other side of the ball the New Mexico Lobos announced that two players would be dismissed from the team. While neither started they both did play a role early in the year. Wondering how that dynamic will affect today's game.

Howell, who transferred from UTEP, averaged 8.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists this season. Kennedy-Hopoate, who transferred from Iowa State, averaged 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Just in the interest of full transparency and correct facts -- Bride and Najala were not dismissed from the team. For whatever (unknown) reason, they decided not to continue to play with the team following the loss to Boise State. They called Coach a couple hours before the next game and told him they wouldn't be coming. Head scratching considering they both sat last year as transfers.

Also, as stated in the article linked, both were starters with Naj starting the 8 games she played in, and Bride starting 2/8. Both were necessary for depth as the freshman need time to come along. Though the stats might not necessarily reflect it, their absence is going to be hugely missed this season (especially Bride in terms of post depth).

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. The article is correct. In the pregame show Jeff Munn mentioned that they were no longer with the team. Should have watched how I phrased that comment.

Reaction Score
Through 3 quarters the Sun Devils are comfortably ahead of the short-handed Lobos 59 - 33. Entering the game the Sun Devils ranked second in the country averaging 19 offensive rebounds per game. Through 3 quarters the Devils have 20 offensive boards, part of this is obviously due to the Devil's very poor shooting.

Robbi Ryan appears to be battling the ankle injury, she just hit her first shot and made the free throw for a 3 point play as the quarter expired. Reili Richardson the Devil's point guard has 21 points which has to be close to her career-high.

Update

Tapley records her third Double-Double in a row and Richardson and Bejedi set career-highs for scoring. The Sun Devils have a tune-up Wednesday against New Mexico State before Friday's big game against Creighton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well the Devils completed their preultimate non-conference game with a 70-47 victory over New Mexico State. A very weird game.

New Mexico State got their first (of two) assist of the game 34 minutes into the contest. ASU was held to 10 offensive rebounds.

One of the two announcers for the game was Patrick Knapp, evidently former women's basketball coach at New Mexico State in the 1980s. Without a doubt the worst voice for broadcasting I've ever heard in my life. The whiskey and cigarettes were obvious in the gruff voice that was as irritating as four fingernails on a chalkboard.

After leading 14 to 11 at the end of the first quarter CTT really unloaded on her team. While the Devil's play improved, considering New Mexico State's previous game this was not a stellar performance by the Sun Devils. Knapp make the observation that if the Devils finished in the top five in the Pac he believes they'll make the NCAA tournament. He also pointed out that the Devil's poor perimeter shooting is definitely going to hold them back inconference play an observation with which I wholeheartedly agree.

Based on this performance I see the Devils losing to the Creighton Bluejays Friday by double digits. It's going to be a very difficult game on the 29th against the U of A Wildcats.

Reaction Score
5 minutes till tip-off. Jamie Ruden suited up. First time in uniform since the second game of the season. Hopefully she's in shape to give us 5 to 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
Well the Devils have a signature win going into conference play on the basis of their 70-55 victory over the Creighton Blue Jays.

CTTs team played fabulous defense particularly in the first half and held the Blue Jays leading scorer Agnew to 12.

The return of Jamie Ruden was also important in this victory and gives us hope in the conference schedule that approaches. She scored 11 points and while she certainly showed rust from a long layoff particularly on the defensive end her offensive skills around the hoop made a huge difference in the game.

Robbi Ryan played another great game and led the Sun Devils in scoring. Wonderful defensive effort and the Sun Devils hit some important shots. They out rebounded the smaller Blue Jays and this has got to be a satisfying victory as the Devils go to their holiday break.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rudin played 8 minutes in the victory over the Blue Jays yesterday. The ASU frontline with Ruden, Tapley, and Van Hefte looks very good against the smaller Blue Jays.

Nice piece in the local newspaper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ASU opens Pac-12 play Sunday the 29th against UArizona Wildcats. This will be the first real test for both teams in the opener here in Tempe.

ASU will be at full strength for first time this season. Jamie Ruden came back with 8 amazing minutes against Creighton and Jamie Lorea is also available.

The Wildcats were less than impressive in their last game although McDonald displayed her blazing speed and ability to hit shots all over the court. Beyond McDonald and Reese I was impressed with the Wildcats six-foot-six center Smith who will be a matchup nightmare for ASU.

The Wildcats and Devils rank 1-2 in the conference in scoring defense. This is a bit deceptive given the weakness of the schedules played by these two teams.

That said I hope it's a low-scoring game in Tempe. The Sun Devils do not have the ability to keep up with the scoring machine that is McDonald and Reese, 1st and 13th in the conference in scoring respectively.

After the opening game the Arizona schools travel to southern California to play UCLA and Southern Cal. The way it looks now the Arizona Wildcats will meet UCLA on January 5th and I suspect both teams will be undefeated at that point - should be a great game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Devils try to regroup in the second weekend of Pac play as they head over to SoCal. While it's early in the season this may set the tone for the rest of the year for CTTs team. A sweep by UCLA and Southern Cal has the Sun Devils facing a five-game losing streak as the following weekend has the Oregon schools coming to the Tempe campus.

In the post game presser after the loss to the Cats CTT was again very negative on her team's preparation. (Although not nearly in the same league as muffets reaction after the Clemson loss :))

This is the first time I can recall her being this critical two weeks in a row of her team. She called out all of her seniors and thinking back to the game the starters shot 16% from the field.

Other than Robbi Ryan and Jamie Ruden (both who are on minutes watch due to injury) the seniors had zero impact on the game. While I think it's more of a frontcourt issue with lack of size and depth CTT still remains convinced that our team can win with the standout performance by the senior guards. We'll see.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In the post game presser after the loss to the Cats CTT was again very negative on her team's preparation. (Although not nearly in the same league as muffets reaction after the Clemson loss :))

This is the first time I can recall her being this critical two weeks in a row of her team. She called out all of her seniors and thinking back to the game the starters shot 16% from the field.
Are CTT's postgame press conferences posted online somewhere?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom