ASU at USC

Who wins.

• Arizona State

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • USC

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Odd as this is early in the season but this really is a must-win for ASU. Next weekend both of the Oregon schools come to Tempe so with a loss today to the Trojans the Devils would fall to 0 and 5 in conference play after next weekend.

As an added story line ASU starts Ja'Tavia Tapley a grad transfer from USC.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
ASU has to feel gutted that they came so close at Westwood two nights ago. We shall see how they respond. I agree this is as close to a must-win as you can have in the first week of January.

Reaction Score
Devils end the first quarter on at 11 to 2 run to take a 17-11 lead.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tapley picked up her 3rd foul in mid-2Q but the Women of Troy couldn't make them pay.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tapley picked up her 3rd foul in mid-2Q but the Women of Troy couldn't make them pay.

I forgot about this aspect of the game. Must be a bit weird for her playing against her former team, although there aren't many of her teammates left from last year.

Reaction Score
I know...ASU's depth is performing today. They scored the first 5 of the second quarter and turned USC over 14 times.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I forgot about this aspect of the game. Must be a bit weird for her playing against her former team, although there aren't many of her teammates left from last year.
Ha yeah well Overbeck did kinda scream when she picked up her 3rd.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Devils up 20 now. Can't say I mind seeing USC lose.

Cal and USC both with disastrous weekends, pair of home losses. Put themselves way behind the 8 ball.

Reaction Score
I think this weekend of Pac play ended up according to expectations. I know the Sun Devils were hoping for a sweep, a tall order when they began with UCLA. However the first three quarters against USC the Sun Devils looked fabulous. 4th quarter turned into a nail biter as USC's big just went nuts.

Reaction Score
This will be an amazing weekend for women's basketball in Tempe. The two Oregon schools roll in and I'm very excited to see Kelly Graves and Scott Rueck's squads.

Last year the Sun Devils had success when playing Oregon State. Unfortunately this year the matchups don't hold out much hope against either Oregon or Oregon State.

For ASU to achieve upsets this weekend:

ASU seniors

Both Jamie Ruden and Robbi Ryan are on minutes watch due to recovery from injury. Both of them would have to have exceptional games for ASU to achieve an upset. Moreover Reilli Richardson would have to uncharacteristically take and make three-pointers.

Defense

For the first three quarters of the Southern Cal game ASU's defense demonstrated the intensity and high-energy of previous years. While the fourth quarter fall off was concerning if the defense can play with that kind of intensity for 40 minutes we can certainly cause problems for any offense.

The fans

For the life of me I can't understand why fans don't turn out to support CTTs team. As I said in an earlier thread when we played our rivalry game against the Wildcats at home there were more Tucson fans dressed in red and screaming than Sun Devil fans. If by some miracle we could fill Desert Financial Arena with a Gold out and support the team I know that would help. While I'm not optimistic about turn out, I would expect less than four thousand for each game, one can always hope.

Help from UArizona

We could also hope that Oregon State endures a quadruple overtime game against the Wildcats down in Tucson which would help exhaust them. I remember CTT talking about the ascendant Wildcat program last year saying it definitely is a help to have another challenging game in Arizona when the Pac-12 rolls through. I think the Wildcats could really help us by giving Oregon State a long tough game.

Regardless of the score I know that the Sun Devils will work hard. I know I'm grateful to have an opportunity to see The best of the Pac in Tempe this weekend. First up Oregon at 6 p.m. Friday and then an afternoon game against the Beavers Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. The students are extremely creative. For example in the game against Creighton they had a student come from behind the curtain dressed as a blue jay and another student with a big fly swatter

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes. The students are extremely creative. For example in the game against Creighton they had a student come from behind the curtain dressed as a blue jay and another student with a big fly swatter
A fly swatter for a bird???? Yup, extremely creative...NOT!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This will be an amazing weekend for women's basketball in Tempe. The two Oregon schools roll in and I'm very excited to see Kelly Graves and Scott Rueck's squads.

Last year the Sun Devils had success when playing Oregon State. Unfortunately this year the matchups don't hold out much hope against either Oregon or Oregon State.

For ASU to achieve upsets this weekend:

ASU seniors

Both Jamie Ruden and Robbi Ryan are on minutes watch due to recovery from injury. Both of them would have to have exceptional games for ASU to achieve an upset. Moreover Reilli Richardson would have to uncharacteristically take and make three-pointers.

Defense

For the first three quarters of the Southern Cal game ASU's defense demonstrated the intensity and high-energy of previous years. While the fourth quarter fall off was concerning if the defense can play with that kind of intensity for 40 minutes we can certainly cause problems for any offense.

The fans

For the life of me I can't understand why fans don't turn out to support CTTs team. As I said in an earlier thread when we played our rivalry game against the Wildcats at home there were more Tucson fans dressed in red and screaming than Sun Devil fans. If by some miracle we could fill Desert Financial Arena with a Gold out and support the team I know that would help. While I'm not optimistic about turn out, I would expect less than four thousand for each game, one can always hope.

Help from UArizona

We could also hope that Oregon State endures a quadruple overtime game against the Wildcats down in Tucson which would help exhaust them. I remember CTT talking about the ascendant Wildcat program last year saying it definitely is a help to have another challenging game in Arizona when the Pac-12 rolls through. I think the Wildcats could really help us by giving Oregon State a long tough game.

Regardless of the score I know that the Sun Devils will work hard. I know I'm grateful to have an opportunity to see The best of the Pac in Tempe this weekend. First up Oregon at 6 p.m. Friday and then an afternoon game against the Beavers Sunday.
Oregon and Oregon State fans are keenly aware of how CTT-coached teams will play as physically in Tempe as the refs will allow. As a result, both Oregon schools will need to be mentally prepared for physical battles, hard screens, and lots of holding near the paint where it can be hidden better. ASU's commitment to trying to be as tough as will be allowed will not change as long as CTT continues to coach there.

With the recent rise of Arizona and the impressive defense that the Wildcats played during their 18-game win streak over two seasons, the trip to Tuscon is no party either. Oregon State escaped with a double OT win last season there as the Beavers had to execute well down the stretch to pull out that win. It will be interesting to see how many people are in the seats in Tucson for the two games against the Oregon schools this weekend.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Love the curtain. One of my favorite aspects of college basketball - and the only time I'm hoping for a Missy-called foul fest. Does anyone know how many total prop sets they have in their arsenal?

Reaction Score
I don't know the extent of their prop and wardrobe. They really step up their antics during the men's games. I've seen a wide variety over the years.

This one with Michael Phelps is classic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom