Asthma sufferers | The Boneyard

Asthma sufferers

Reaction Score
I’m taking an inhaled steroid that is being discontinued (Flovent). From my limited research, I really don’t seem to fit the least affected. I need a rescue inhaler maybe once or twice a year, and the research is talking about using it once or twice a week for mild COPD issues. It’s so expensive I want to wean myself off of it. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice from medical folks? I did speak to my pulmonologist and he just said you’ll start wheezing and coughing. I’m not sure I will.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I’m taking an inhaled steroid that is being discontinued (Flovent). From my limited research, I really don’t seem to fit the least affected. I need a rescue inhaler maybe once or twice a year, and the research is talking about using it once or twice a week for mild COPD issues. It’s so expensive I want to wean myself off of it. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice from medical folks? I did speak to my pulmonologist and he just said you’ll start wheezing and coughing. I’m not sure I will.

insurance won't pay for it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
insurance won't pay for it?
Cost is almost $300 each until I hit the deductible. I just used GoodRx to get the generic equivalent for $115. I’m still going to see if I can wean off of it, but $115 is ok for now. We switched Medicare Part D (prescriptions) this year, and the new insurer isn’t what I had hoped for. Already used GoodRx for another script.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Cost is almost $300 each until I hit the deductible. I just used GoodRx to get the generic equivalent for $115. I’m still going to see if I can wean off of it, but $115 is ok for now. We switched Medicare Part D (prescriptions) this year, and the new insurer isn’t what I had hoped for. Already used GoodRx for another script.

How do you wean off something you only used twice a year?

Reaction Score
How do you wean off something you only used twice a year?
Flovent is a daily maintenance inhaler. It was discontinued by GlaxoSmithKline, but they make a generic version exactly the same. Main ingredient, fluticasone, has been generic for decades, but they put it in a device with metered output and they can claim it as proprietary. I was told the generic version was not in any formularies for Medicare drug plans. That's why I tried using GoodRx.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Flovent is a daily maintenance inhaler. It was discontinued by GlaxoSmithKline, but they make a generic version exactly the same. Main ingredient, fluticasone, has been generic for decades, but they put it in a device with metered output and they can claim it as proprietary. I was told the generic version was not in any formularies for Medicare drug plans. That's why I tried using GoodRx.

Go to a bus stop and offer any kid $50 for his inhaler. I can't see what could go wrong.

Reaction Score
Go to a bus stop and offer any kid $50 for his inhaler. I can't see what could go wrong.
You’re probably going to get a rescue inhaler (albuterol). I use mine maybe twice a year. That’s the cheap one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom