Assuming We Have a Season, Who Will Be Our All-American(s) This Year? | The Boneyard

Assuming We Have a Season, Who Will Be Our All-American(s) This Year?

Reaction Score
Liv, CW, Evina, Anna, or Paige? Or more than one? Who makes First Team, Second Team, Third Team and Honorable Mention?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Realistically? I think most likely Evina and/or Christyn have a shot at 1st or 2nd team. I could realistically see the rest as honorable mention.

But semi-realistically in my fantasy world, I'd love to see Evina, Christyn and Paige make 1st or 2nd team, with Liv and Anna on 3rd team. It's been a minute since UCONN had a 4-time AA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Eric and I discussed this a few days ago. I think this is a tough question. Last year, I thought it would be Christyn, and I was wrong, as Megan made all the 1st Teams.

I think the most likely would be Evina or Christyn. If I have to choose, I'd take Squeaks by a hair.

I think Olivia is a possibility. She could be our most important and best player. She was improving last year, and got a new intensity under Jamelle. There aren't many players like her out there.

Anna was one of our best players over the last 2/3 of the season. She should get some recognition.

Aubrey would need a very large leap, especially in her shooting, but she may be unique in all of America. Her upside is considerable. When will she achieve it?

A bit of a long shot, but maybe not .... I never bet against Maya Moore, so I'm not picking against Paige Bueckers. What freshmen have made 1st Team All-American? Courtney Paris and Maya Moore. So it is possible. If Buckets is running a Showtime offense, she will become the most talked about player in WCBB.

A little bit more of a long shot--a Canadian for All-American. The matchup nightmare named Aaliyah Edwards.

I like our lineup!!

Reaction Score
Liv and Evina as A/A's. Paige on the bubble.

Evina -- One of the top 10 players so she gets on the wall. To be honest I haven't seen her enough - but there has been posts that she is a good pg and a terrific defender. The little I see she can shoot when her feet are set and she looks like a good passer.

Liv -- 2nd Team A/A. If Evina is a PG, and Paige ofc is a PG and we know Anna is a helluva passer - and a shot for Nikka to play -- with all these passers -- it's not going to be all "outside shots." And how may scorers are there inside for UCONN? Liv is the only one imo that I can say definitely legit. So she is going to get the ball.

Paige - Honorable Mention A/A. The only reason I don't put her 3rd team is that I'm not sure about her 3 pt shot along with I have Evina so high. Thus it takes a little production away from Paige. Her ability to hit 3pt shot and Evina's ability to play a good pg will determine if Paige is 3rd team or Honorable A/A. If Paige is the undisputed pg I'd drop Evina a bit to 2nd or 3rd team and possibly elevate Paige further. Heck if she can beat out a good pg in Evina and the talent that surrounds Paige -- no reason to think why she can't be at least 3rd team but probably higher.

CWill-- Honorable Mention A/A. CWill is a scorer. She'll be on the court mostly when at least two excellent passers are also on the floor. In addition - the defense will be better which means more fastbreaks. This fits in to her ability to score. CWil is a scorer. The less Evina is as a scorer the more CWill will be and potentially a 3rd team A/A. .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Would be very happy to be wrong (as I was last year) but unfortunately I don't think UCONN gets a first or second AA this coming season. I'm predicting a pair of 3rd team or honorable mentions for ONO and (CW or Evina).

ONO must separate herself from the pack of post players which includes ( Ayoka Lee, Ila Lane,Unique Thompson, & NaLyssa Smith) to become an AA candidate. Boston was second team AP AA last year Elissa Cunane was 3rd team. Both players return & were ahead of ONO who was honorable mention. Other post players like Charli Collier and Sedona Prince will benefit greatly from better coaching and will also be in the AA mix.

Christyn Williams prospects of making AA as a guard next season are also not very good. At the guard position returning to college basketball this season will be 1st Team AA Rhyne Howard, 2nd Team AA Aari McDonald & Dana Evans and a slew of honorable mentions Rennia Davis, Arella Guirantes, Ashley Joens, Lindsey Pullman,& Kiana Williams. Christyn is also going to be pushed for minutes and shots on her own team with Evina, Paige, & Nika all in the guard mix for UCONN.

Evina Westbrook is an AA candidate-IF HEALTHY. That is a big if, June full clearance from a early January second surgery and a full year of rust from not playing NCAA basketball have me skeptical.

Paige is a long shot only because she is a freshman. What should give everyone hope for Paige being AA is this: Rhyne Howard and Aliyah Boston are expected to be among the top POY candidates this coming season. Piage outplayed both Rhyne and Aliyah and walked away with the MVP at the 2019 U19 World Cup.

Aaliyah Edwards is a wild card and an even longer shot to make AA. She is a wild card in the sense that she will surprise many people in the same way Kia Nurse surprised. Among the surprises could be Aaliyah emerging as UCONN "best" player & UCONN emerging as a top 2 team.

Reaction Score
I see Ono as a second team All American if there is a complete season. I believe her playing at that level is a must for Uconn to reach the final 4. I really believe she will do it now that JE is back...

Reaction Score
The way I feel about UCONN players brings to mind a funny story about LBJ. 2 helicopters were on the White House lawn. LBJ started walking towards one of them and a young marine ran up to him and said Mr. President, that one is not your helicopter. LBJ turned to the young marine and said "son they're all my helicopters". They are all my UCONN players.

Reaction Score
If Uconn is a top 3 or 4 nationally ranked team all season, it’s not realistic to predict that there will be no AA candidates. I think CW and ONO have the biggest opportunity as they are the two returning players who have experience at UCONN. I fully expect them to be our two leaders.

CW has the ability, and if she can make a jump similar to Walker, she could be on a 1st or 2nd team. I think she has a strong probability of being our top scorer. Although if healthy, Evina could take this spot from CW.

ONO has been on an upward trajectory and could be one of the top 5 posts in the country. If she keeps the upward trend, 2nd or 3rd team is realistic. Unless she has a massive year, there are some posts ahead of her to make the 1st team.

Unless we are an undefeated clear number one team, two AA players seems like the cap. But if a player like Evina or Paige has a big year, they could sneak in on a 3rd team or honorable mention.

The rest of the players on our team don’t have the name and brand recognition yet, so I can’t see them being selected. But it’s a season to lay groundwork for 2022 selection.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One of Williams/Westbrook is the best bet for first or second team. ONO I could see sneaking on a 3rd team, sort of like Dolson as a junior if she makes a similar jump.

Bueckers is a total wildcard for AA type honors. On one hand, UCONN doesnt usually start freshmen, and I believe the only player who has been an AA as a frosh was Maya, but Paige looks really really good. I kind of doubt she makes a team next year but who knows.

All in all, my guess is UCONN lands 1-2 spots on the top 3 AP teams. No one seems like a surefire pick but any of the 4 have a shot IMO.

Reaction Score
Would be very happy to be wrong (as I was last year) but unfortunately I don't think UCONN gets a first or second AA this coming season. I'm predicting a pair of 3rd team or honorable mentions for ONO and (CW or Evina).

ONO must separate herself from the pack of post players which includes ( Ayoka Lee, Ila Lane,Unique Thompson, & NaLyssa Smith) to become an AA candidate. Boston was second team AP AA last year Elissa Cunane was 3rd team. Both players return & were ahead of ONO who was honorable mention. Other post players like Charli Collier and Sedona Prince will benefit greatly from better coaching and will also be in the AA mix.

Christyn Williams prospects of making AA as a guard next season are also not very good. At the guard position returning to college basketball this season will be 1st Team AA Rhyne Howard, 2nd Team AA Aari McDonald & Dana Evans and a slew of honorable mentions Rennia Davis, Arella Guirantes, Ashley Joens, Lindsey Pullman,& Kiana Williams. Christyn is also going to be pushed for minutes and shots on her own team with Evina, Paige, & Nika all in the guard mix for UCONN.

Evina Westbrook is an AA candidate-IF HEALTHY. That is a big if, June full clearance from a early January second surgery and a full year of rust from not playing NCAA basketball have me skeptical.

Paige is a long shot only because she is a freshman. What should give everyone hope for Paige being AA is this: Rhyne Howard and Aliyah Boston are expected to be among the top POY candidates this coming season. Piage outplayed both Rhyne and Aliyah and walked away with the MVP at the 2019 U19 World Cup.

Aaliyah Edwards is a wild card and an even longer shot to make AA. She is a wild card in the sense that she will surprise many people in the same way Kia Nurse surprised. Among the surprises could be Aaliyah emerging as UCONN "best" player & UCONN emerging as a top 2 team.
This could happen even if most of the players that are candidates have pretty good years. As you correctly point out Christyn and Olivia have serious returning competition at their respective positions. To get first or second team AA they need to leapfrog a few people, and Boston in particular is a major hurdle for Olivia achieving first team status.

The other contenders have a few obstacles to overcome as well. Transfers like Evina can make it, but I think it is easier for players that spend their whole college career at one school. Foreign players like Anna and Aaliyah might lose a few votes because of that as well, and while making some team is possible for freshmen, making first team in the first year would be a major accomplishment if Paige can do it.

Several players on this roster I have no doubt will reach AA status of first or second team in time, and a few more spots on the wall. This year is possible but maybe not as likely as in the next few years.

Another factor is the much discussed debate over who will start, playing time in general, who the go to scorer will be etc. I would argue the only completely sure thing starter is Olivia. Everybody has their own opinion but one player from Paige, Anna, Christyn and Evina will not start unless the small ball lineup is used. Whoever that winds up being will clearly not be an AA.

Further because the team should be very good (blowouts), and because of a deeper bench which reduces starters minutes further yet, putting up great statistical totals for any of our candidates will be difficult, even if their per minutes stats are great.

I imagine the go to player debate would center on Paige if she is great from the git go, Christyn, or Evina. To get AA consideration this year, somebody needs to emerge from the pack as a near 20 point per game scorer
like Megan did last year, but probably in significantly fewer minutes than Megan got. That may be an evolving process over the course of the season, but make it harder than if the star of the team was known before the season starts.

Hope I'm wrong, and we have future AA's on the roster, just think it will be really difficult for a first team AA this year, but below that we have plenty of candidates.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This could happen even if most of the players that are candidates have pretty good years. As you correctly point out Christyn and Olivia have serious returning competition at their respective positions. To get first or second team AA they need to leapfrog a few people, and Boston in particular is a major hurdle for Olivia achieving first team status.

The other contenders have a few obstacles to overcome as well. Transfers like Evina can make it, but I think it is easier for players that spend their whole college career at one school. Foreign players like Anna and Aaliyah might lose a few votes because of that as well, and while making some team is possible for freshmen, making first team in the first year would be a major accomplishment if Paige can do it.

Several players on this roster I have no doubt will reach AA status of first or second team in time, and a few more spots on the wall. This year is possible but maybe not as likely as in the next few years.

Another factor is the much discussed debate over who will start, playing time in general, who the go to scorer will be etc. I would argue the only completely sure thing starter is Olivia. Everybody has their own opinion but one player from Paige, Anna, Christyn and Evina will not start unless the small ball lineup is used. Whoever that winds up being will clearly not be an AA.

Further because the team should be very good (blowouts), and because of a deeper bench which reduces starters minutes further yet, putting up great statistical totals for any of our candidates will be difficult, even if their per minutes stats are great.

I imagine the go to player debate would center on Paige if she is great from the git go, Christyn, or Evina. To get AA consideration this year, somebody needs to emerge from the pack as a near 20 point per game scorer
like Megan did last year, but probably in significantly fewer minutes than Megan got. That may be an evolving process over the course of the season, but make it harder than if the star of the team was known before the season starts.

Hope I'm wrong, and we have future AA's on the roster, just think it will be really difficult for a first team AA this year, but below that we have plenty of candidates.
I'm in almost full agreement. The one notable exception is regarding Liv being "the only completely sure thing starter". Liv will definitely start because we need her size up front and she needs to continue her upward arc she was on under Jamelle. If I had to pick a sure fire starter though it would be Christyn because she is literally 2X (+) more experience in the UCONN offense than any other player on this roster. 2X= twice as many starts, minutes and experience in big games.

Reaction Score
I have no real disagreement with any of the conjunctures posted. My gut says no first team and one or two might get a 2nd, 3rd or HM. At this point it is hard enough to know who starts and who gets big minutes no less who might be among the nation's best. Right now there is NO ONE we KNOW is deserving of All American status.

What we have are a bunch of players who could have outstanding seasons. I could see this team win a national championship, have maybe one 2nd team AA, and next year have five players picked as All American 1, 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
Are many of you coo-coo??? Ask Geno and what do you think his answer will be. We have some great kids all hopefully working a G system. I absolutely love the possibilities, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. !st let's hope there is a season and 2nd lets win the games.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Theirs just to much parody on the UConn team for any player to rise head in shoulders above the others. Sure, Paige is quite the Pre-Madonna, but she'll have a tough road to hoe in becoming UConn's best player and an All American. For all intensive purposes UConn will be fielding 5 AA quality players on the court at all time.

I just hope we get most of UConn's games free and don't have to watch this great team on paper view.

Reaction Score
Theirs just to much parody on the UConn team for any player to rise head in shoulders above the others. Sure, Paige is quite the Pre-Madonna, but she'll have a tough road to hoe in becoming UConn's best player and an All American. For all intensive purposes UConn will be fielding 5 AA quality players on the court at all time.

I just hope we get most of UConn's games free and don't have to watch this great team on paper view.
Dear Mr or Mrs Malaprop - a very presize seminary of the sit tuition.

Reaction Score
The powers that be love big scorers so our AA pick will be whoever Anna (if she's allowed back in) and/or Paige (if she gets minutes) decide to feed. I see Anna dishing more to CW but who knows? Of course as the experienced, most complete player on the floor, Geno just might tell Anna to put team on her back--there was a hint of that toward the end of last season. I still think an Anna/Paige tandem would leave defenders gassed trying to decide which of the five Huskies on the floor to guard. Five second team AA? If Fudd joins the dynamic duo, in Anna's senior year (provided she resists call of WNBA) they go undefeated and walk away with NC and tack up several AA first teamers.

Reaction Score
This year I'm expecting FF team as I do most years. I'd be surprised if there wasn't two A/A's. With UCONN's style-- if they are able to be in that top 4 in which they've shown they can beat an elite team-- I can't see not having the two A/A's. Their style is fast which increases their production and playing in the Big East vs another conference - their efficiency will also be terrific.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Players don't need to beat out others at the same position to make 1st Team AA, it's the 5 best players, not the C/F/F/G/G format the WNBA uses. Both ONO and Boston could be 1st Teamers if they have excellent seasons.

Returning players who made a top 3 AP team include:
Rhyne Howard-was 1st Team last year and 2nd in the country for AP votes after Ionescu
Aliyah Boston-2nd team
Aari McDonald-2nd team
Dana Evans-2nd team
Michaela Onyenwere-3rd team
Elissa Cunane-3rd team

I think if Williams lives up to her billing and the switch goes on for playing more aggressively, she can definitely infiltrate this group and rise to first team, similar to how Walker did a year ago. ONO struggled against quality bigs but made big improvements last year. I'd think 1st team is a big stretch but she's in the mix for making 3rd team IMO. Keep in mind too, the vast majority of the top 3 AP teams are filled will players from top 15 programs. It's quite unusual to have more than 1-2 players make an AP team that aren't on a top 15 or so program. That itself gives players like ONO/Williams an inherent advantage over most other returning HM AA players like Joens, Guirantes, Lane, etc. since UCONN is projected to safely be a top 10 team next year while those other players are on teams that likely wont sniff being in the top 10.

One thing to keep in mind, UCONN has had a representative on the 1st AP All American team for 11 of the past 13 seasons, and the two years they missed they had a 2nd teamer or a 3rd teamer. History says someone will likely make 1st Team from the Huskies.

I'm not sure why you think transfers have it harder making a team... McDonald made a team this year as a transfer. Jess Shepard made AA last year, Lexie Brown the 2 years before that. If a transfer player has an AA worthy season, they usually make a team.

Also not sure when voters have had bias against foreign players. I just don't see Makurat as an AA type of player though. She's more of a glue player who does a lot of things well and is important for team success but isn't going to put up 15-20 on a nightly basis. Edwards I don't think is on anyone's radar, as she isn't expected to contend for a starting spot, and isn't even a solidified rotation player.

In regards to starters, all signs point to Makurat and Williams as safe bets for starters. Makurat is the best returning decision maker and was excellent as a starter the 2nd half of the season. And Williams isn't coming off the bench after starting for 2 years.

Westbrook was good at Tennessee but is going to be in her first year in Geno's system, and we saw Geno not have any problem benching a high profile transfer in Stevens. That said, I think she starts.

Bueckers is most likely the one to come off the bench if Griffin is a lock for the 4 spot. Keep in mind, Geno will ALWAYS have freshmen come off the bench if he has quality older players that can start. Each of Stewart, Moore, and Taurasi came off the bench until injuries created an opening in the starting lineup. Stewart was a tournament MOP, Moore 2nd in the nation in POY voting, and Taurasi a regional MOP as a frosh...all 3 came off the bench until injuries put them in as starters. The players who have started as freshmen (ex. Kia Nurse, Tina Charles, Christyn Williams, Makurat, Dolson, Hartley, etc.) did so because there was no suitable option to start in front of them. Unless Westbrook can't adjust to Geno's system, gets injured, or Geno has some change in coaching philosophy, I think it's quite unlikely Bueckers starts from the get go.

Obviously time will tell but that's my take on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bueckers is most likely the one to come off the bench if Griffin is a lock for the 4 spot. Keep in mind, Geno will ALWAYS have freshmen come off the bench if he has quality older players that can start. Each of Stewart, Moore, and Taurasi came off the bench until injuries created an opening in the starting lineup.

Obviously time will tell but that's my take on it.

I don't believe the comment "Geno will "ALWAYS" have freshmen come off the bench if he has quality older players that can start." But I guess it depends on what does "quality older players" mean?

Anyhow, Stewart started right from the get-go in her frosh year.

But I agree though -- if Griff is a lock - if she is legit at the PF then more-than-likely Paige is coming off the bench until they either lose or play very poorly while Paige is playing great. Then he'll change.

Reaction Score
Projecting the AAs from the team requires projections both about the team itself and the individual players. On paper, with the talent, depth and coaching, this is a FF team and legitimate contender for a NC. Also, the team is a guard driven, guard oriented team with a strong transition game highlighted by two superior passers in Anna and Paige with Evina being overlooked in this regard and mistakenly so. The team is likely to run the aggressive pressure defense that turned the team around last year, especially with JE's return, certainly against BE teams and also against top tier non- league teams if it has proven to be successful at least for portions of the games. That is where I see Paige, Edwards and Mir making very strong contributions with probably only Paige and Edwards seeing meaningful time against the other top 5 teams. I am also assuming that our leading scorer, unless it is only by a small margin, is our most highly placed AA. So the questions become first, with a likely starting team of Aubrey, ONO, CW, Evina and Anna, with Paige and Edwards as 6th and 7th man respectively, who are the probable beneficiaries of a pressure defense that will result in transition baskets and who are the probable beneficiaries of a stand alone transition game based on defensive rebounding and a traditional fast break? Secondly, who are the probable beneficiaries of the half court offensive sets? I think the second question is easier. In the half court sets, the shots will mostly be taken by ONO, CW and Evina with Anna taking open 3s with regularity but looking to distribute first and getting the ball underneath to ONO. I am projecting the ability of ONO this year to have moves over both shoulders and to be able to finish on both sides of the basket. With her shot blocking and improved offense, I see no less than 3rd team AA and a probable second team. As for the guards in the half court sets, I see rough parity in the number of shots between Evina and CW but I see Evina scoring more off of those sets because she has a solid game from 8-12 feet away. I don't think that Evina's year not playing will hurt her at all in knowing and fitting into Geno's system because she was there. As for the transition game, I give a slight edge to CW in benefitting from it because Anna knows her game so well and she will receive "deferrence" passes as well. I project a more athletic game from her as well as a result of summer work outs. It will be close however because Evina appears to have a better all around offensive game. Evina has something to prove also and she will be stronger and improve all aspects of her game over the summer, I am projecting, while she also strengthens her knee. So I see CW and Evina benefitting from the running game with Anna and Paige getting the ball to them with a slight edge to CW there. I give Evina the edge in the half court offense between the two. I have CW as first team AA and the leading scorer and Evina as second team even though my gut says these two will likely be reversed. I just see an awful lot of determination in Evina. So I have 3 AAs on this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom