Assuming there is a season, who will have the biggest improvement from last season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assuming there is a season, who will have the biggest improvement from last season?

Who will have the biggest visible improvement over last season?

• Christyn

• Olivia

• Aubrey

• Anna

Results are only viewable after voting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So assuming we have a season, who do you think will show the most improvement? Hard to guess since we don't know what most of them have been able to do over the summer, but it's just a poll for your opinion. Plus, I thought it might be fun to discuss something other than "who will the starters be"...

Note - I left off the incoming freshmen as well as Evina since none of them played for UCONN last season. In a way it's sort of an odd poll since we literally only have 4 players coming back who played last season, but it's "down time", so let the speculation begin!

Good post Eric. You’re right. We definitely need a break from trying to figure out who the starters will be. Since we can only vote for one, I chose Ania. She came on strong the second half of the season. I think she picks up where she left off.

My other consideration is ONO. I thought she would have a breakout year, and play “lights out” this year and next. That was before Jamelle decided to permanently return to the coaching staff (which absolutely made my day when the news broke).

With Elliott having her from day one this year, I think ONO will flourish and be even better than I originally thought. I look for Jamelle to add some much needed “bite” to ONO’s bark. Olivia has matured over the last 2 seasons. I’m looking for her to make plays on both ends of the court on a “consistent“ basis, and stay out of foul trouble. I expect ONO to “easily” average a double double this year.

She won’t be asked to carry the team. She’ll have too much talent around her for that. She’s always been a no nonsense player. That won’t change. All she has to do is “her job.” The rest will take care of it self. Her teammates will be making plays. All she has to do is consistently join in the fun and get some.

Geno has so much talent on this team. I can’t wait to see Aubrey Griffin 2.0. She will also pick up where she left off being a human highlight player. I also look for Paige to find her sea legs early on, and provide some oohs and ahhhs as well. It’s going to be fun watching them, and singing their praises all season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My view was based on who the “team” needs to improve the most. In my opinion that is Olivia followed in order by Christyn,Aubrey, and Anna .

Reaction Score
Williams is the leader. IMO she can average 20-6 and 6. If she develops a killer instinct look out!

Reaction Score
I went with Aubrey for the simple reason that of the four she has the most room for improvement. Last year she looked every bit a freshman trying to figure things out on the fly. The other 3 have room to improve but we know what their games look like, where as Aubrey has yet to show much of what she will develop into. She may end up having the best career of the four. I really think Paige will have a great positive influence on her game, both physical and mental.

A lot of HS stars were the focus of their team's offense and never learned to play without the ball. Even Stewart looked lost at times early in her career. Makurat adjusted quicker because she wasn't the star on her league team. UConn sophomores come back knowing they belong instead of wondering. Confidence is amazing.
I agree that Bueckers will have a positive effect on Griffin. Griffin will learn that if she gets open the ball will arrive in the right spot at the right time. Bueckers will make all her team mates much more efficient.

Reaction Score
A lot of HS stars were the focus of their team's offense and never learned to play without the ball. Even Stewart looked lost at times early in her career. Makurat adjusted quicker because she wasn't the star on her league team. UConn sophomores come back knowing they belong instead of wondering. Confidence is amazing.
I agree that Bueckers will have a positive effect on Griffin. Griffin will learn that if she gets open the ball will arrive in the right spot at the right time. Bueckers will make all her team mates much more efficient.
From what I have seen and heard from PB, she has the game and personality to be a DT type - having high expectations for teammates, a passion to win, the ability to get the ball where it needs to be. I don't know if Westbrook is that type or not.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Anna can do the same thing.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen and heard from PB, she has the game and personality to be a DT type - having high expectations for teammates, a passion to win, the ability to get the ball where it needs to be. I don't know if Westbrook is that type or not.

I don't know Westbrook enough to judge. Bueckers has personality and fire.

Reaction Score
Anna can do the same thing.

She's a great passer but after watching Bueckers for 2 years she's the best passer I've seen since Maravich was at LSU. And yeah, I know it was high school.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who has the edge, other than Anna has done it at D-1 level, but the two as a combo could give defenses nightmares.

UConn's best teams had several players who were elite passers. Both Makurat and Bueckers see the floor and can thread passes. That's going to result in me yelling YES! at my TV this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1596048830429.png

I'm looking for a BIG year from these two. A huge sophomore leap for both. They know the system now, and know what they're suppose to do.

Reaction Score
View attachment 57087

I'm looking for a BIG year from these two. A huge sophomore leap for both. They know the system now, and know what they're suppose to do.
I couldn't agree more. I thought that in the last month of the season they played as well or better than the rest of the team. That's saying a lot because everyone improved steadily, and I thought well enough to go to the Elite Eight and maybe even Final Four. I really look forward to this year. May it please happen.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
View attachment 57087

What a turnaround in expectations. In the first wo months of last season, there were posters complaining that those two would not help the team and not talented enough to give the starters a rest. They may be the most improved returning players and that is projecting a lot because I believe CW and Ono are going to be much improved. Of course, you were not one of those posters of little faith. You seem to have a good eye for talent.

Reaction Score
Carnac, agree 300%.
Just love that pix you posted of our A girls!
I remember so well seeing Anna in the exhibition game.....4th row. I thought she played outstanding!
My cheers were sooo loud I think the man next to me didn’t get it! Ha, well, we did!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is SNY going to televise the UConn games that aren't on National television this coming year?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Have to agree with @Buzzyboy and @and one. Aubrey has the most room to improve. Would also wish her into a 2 inch growth spurt.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
How tall is her heart?
So far we have seen a joyful, athletic player with typical freshman jitters have one great game. One of the intangibles the coaches evaluate is 'heart' (in quotes because the term has several meanings). I assume we will see her display a great 'heart', courage, drive, and passion. But I believe she will be more dominant at 6'3" than 6'1". Don't you agree?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom