Assuming everyone is back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assuming everyone is back

Reaction Score
Thats what im looking forward to the most about Hurley. What kind of recruiter can he be. Can he bring in an elite class now that hes at Uconn? Will he get high ranking classes but not elite? Or will he struggle as Ollie did? I really dont think its possible to do much worse with recruiting than Ollie did.

Ollie faced a lot of negative recruiting the past two years, against the conference and against his damaged reputation. I am actually surprised he did as well as he did with the class coming in considering the negative recruiting he was up against. Hurley, assuming its him, won't have that severe handicap. Yes he'll still have the conference issues but I think UConn's poor play and the ability for other programs to claim that UConn was poorly coached will no longer be an issue. Instead we get the benefit of Hurley's reputation as a coach on the rise and the ability to sell recruits on the chance to join a program looking to regain its former position of prominence. Recruiting should get an instant upgrade in terms of the level of kids we can legitimately go after and bring in here.

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking jeff dowtin. He's only a sophomore (?) and is a really great passer. High BBIQ, just needs to get stronger. just needs Something we could use for sure.
Dowtin is an insanely good floor general type of guard. With Terrell going a cold over the last month, Dowtin was URI’s best player down the stretch. We haven’t had someone with assist to turnover ratio like his in a long time. And he would pair very well with an undersized guard because he can guard 2s.

Reaction Score
Thats what im looking forward to the most about Hurley. What kind of recruiter can he be. Can he bring in an elite class now that hes at Uconn? Will he get high ranking classes but not elite? Or will he struggle as Ollie did? I really dont think its possible to do much worse with recruiting than Ollie did.
Nail on the head.

Reaction Score
Ollie faced a lot of negative recruiting the past two years, against the conference and against his damaged reputation. I am actually surprised he did as well as he did with the class coming in considering the negative recruiting he was up against. Hurley, assuming its him, won't have that severe handicap. Yes he'll still have the conference issues but I think UConn's poor play and the ability for other programs to claim that UConn was poorly coached will no longer be an issue. Instead we get the benefit of Hurley's reputation as a coach on the rise and the ability to sell recruits on the chance to join a program looking to regain its former position of prominence. Recruiting should get an instant upgrade in terms of the level of kids we can legitimately go after and bring in here.
For the most part i think the recruiting excuses for Ollie are just that. Excuses! The conference isnt the reason so many players that Ollie recruited either transferred or changed their mind about coming here. He also did a poor job of developing what talent he did bring in.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what happens? we win more games

Reaction Score
If Hurley comes I hope he knows that the team must be built as if Gilbert isn't there. Hurley can't fall into the same trap of depending on Gilbert. He has to recruit over him. It's tricky because AG will be the 1st-2nd best player on the team next year but you have to build the team like he's a role player in order to avoid what has happened already.
Or we can just heavily count on him to be fully healthy and blame our lack of success on his injury if it happens again.

Reaction Score
For the most part i think the recruiting excuses for Ollie are just that. Excuses! The conference isnt the reason so many players that Ollie recruited either transferred or changed their mind about coming here. He also did a poor job of developing what talent he did bring in.

I agree that he did a poor job with player development. We went from a coach that was one of the best at player development to a coach that really struggled to develop the talent he had. In the past two years, I think negative recruiting was a significant factor. Not saying it was the only factor, but I think we lost some good recruits because of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom