Assuming everyone is back | The Boneyard

Assuming everyone is back

Reaction Score
what will happen we have one scholarship and he has 4 guys coming in plus anyone else who transfers from URI.

Reaction Score
doesn't mean those kids are just gonna decommit/transfer and come with LORD HURLEY

Reaction Score
He's coming into a program that has gone 30-35 over the past two seasons. Some of these players may be expendable in his eyes. And some of these players may decide that Hurley is not the coach for them. Very hard to say that the roster as it is constructed now will look the same when the 2018-19 season begins.

Also, Hurley views UConn as a step up from URI so it's not necessarily a guarantee that he'd want to bring all 4 of his recruits to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think he`ll find out who wants to join him here and then meet with some players and let them know that they dont fit his system and that they wont be getting much pt so if theyd like to transfer hes willing to help them out.

Reaction Score
He's coming into a program that has gone 30-35 over the past two seasons. Some of these players may be expendable in his eyes. And some of these players may decide that Hurley is not the coach for them. Very hard to say that the roster as it is constructed now will look the same when the 2018-19 season begins.

Also, Hurley views UConn as a step up from URI so it's not necessarily a guarantee that he'd want to bring all 4 of his recruits to UConn.
Thats what im looking forward to the most about Hurley. What kind of recruiter can he be. Can he bring in an elite class now that hes at Uconn? Will he get high ranking classes but not elite? Or will he struggle as Ollie did? I really dont think its possible to do much worse with recruiting than Ollie did.

Reaction Score

The fundamental assumptions of the OP:

1) Every UConn player will want to play for Hurley
2) Every UConn recruit will want to come and play for Hurley
3) Every URI recruit will want to play at UConn for Hurley
4) Hurley will want every UConn player
5) Hurley will want every UConn recruit
6) Hurley thinks every URI recruit is a fit for UConn

are wrong.

People need to hope for the obvious returners that are essentially no-brainers for 4 (Adams, Gilbert, CV, Wilson), and hope for the strong recruits in 2 and 3 work. That team will be very different than we think. Those chatting with people in the gym--cool and all. Instagram is cool and all. But that doesn't mean anything until the hiring is complete and the interviews with the new coach and the players goes down.

Including incoming recruits, expect bigger turnover than last year. Last year was MAL, Enoch, Jackson, Durham. We already lost Akinjo. There will be more, almost definitionally.

Reaction Score
I couldn't hope for that. We are already hopefully taking Hurley. That kid was too much fun to watch when he had it going. I would almost feel guilty.
One of the most exciting players in ALL of college hoops. JMHO

I think he probably transfers to a high major (hopefully).

Reaction Score
The fundamental assumptions of the OP:

1) Every UConn player will want to play for Hurley
2) Every UConn recruit will want to come and play for Hurley
3) Every URI recruit will want to play at UConn for Hurley
4) Hurley will want every UConn player
5) Hurley will want every UConn recruit
6) Hurley thinks every URI recruit is a fit for UConn

are wrong.

People need to hope for the obvious returners that are essentially no-brainers for 4 (Adams, Gilbert, CV, Wilson), and hope for the strong recruits in 2 and 3 work. That team will be very different than we think. Those chatting with people in the gym--cool and all. Instagram is cool and all. But that doesn't mean anything until the hiring is complete and the interviews with the new coach and the players goes down.

Including incoming recruits, expect bigger turnover than last year. Last year was MAL, Enoch, Jackson, Durham. We already lost Akinjo. There will be more, almost definitionally.
There are already rumors of a transfer and I'm hoping that he is not the one to go. It would be great if we could keep everyone and recruit and sign Akinjo but that isn't likely.
UConn is not a team without talent, it is a team without a PG leader and a hard nosed rebounder. We have to keep our fingers crossed on Gilbert and hope Hurley can bring in another PG. It would be naive to think that there isn't going to be a little more turmoil. It is part of the process.

Reaction Score
the roster is constructed horribly but there is talent. Assuming the deal is done soon and Hurley signs the dotted line we really need another big, a PG and a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even speculate on the roster until we know who the coach is. If UConn signed Coach K the program would still probably have some defections. The team save a few players will likely not look anything like it does now. We are going to lose people no matter who the coach is. Get ready for it so you aren't disappointed. I'd be genuinely shocked otherwise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I really hope Fatts Russell follows Hurley over here. Would be awesome to see him and Gilbert together

That's a smaller backcourt than Kemba/Bazz haha

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Assuming everyone is back
The new coach, if successful, would be winning with KO's players

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We don't need guards. We need a Knock down outside shooter, a rebounder, and an interior defender.

Any guard we take should be noticeably better than what we have now. Meaning they can finish at the rim, hit open shots and play defense if asked.

Reaction Score
Kid is an amazing leader on the court for his age. Yes please

I was actually thinking jeff dowtin. He's only a sophomore (?) and is a really great passer. High BBIQ, just needs to get stronger. just needs Something we could use for sure.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ah no. We need guards. Anderson is gone, Akinjo decommited and Gilbert is a huge question mark. If Jalen gets into foul trouble Vital might be running the show. Ideally they pick up a shooter as well.

We need a young guard to play 10-15 minutes a game. If AG, JA, and CV can't be on the floor for around 30 min each, we aren't winning anything. These are the upperclassmen and best players. Anyone we get wouldn't be playing ahead of them.

In a typical 8 man rotation you play 4 guards 3 big Men and a wing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
the roster is constructed horribly but there is talent. Assuming the deal is done soon and Hurley signs the dotted line we really need another big, a PG and a shooting guard.
I noticed you didn’t say “we need another 6’8” guy who can’t dribble, rebound or play defense.” You think we’re all set there?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I noticed you didn’t say “we need another 6’8” guy who can’t dribble, rebound or play defense.” You think we’re all set there?

Polley seems to have that covered right now.

I'm hoping with that length he'll figure it out though.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
If Hurley comes I hope he knows that the team must be built as if Gilbert isn't there. Hurley can't fall into the same trap of depending on Gilbert. He has to recruit over him. It's tricky because AG will be the 1st-2nd best player on the team next year but you have to build the team like he's a role player in order to avoid what has happened already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom