Assistant Coaches? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assistant Coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I will differ with you on one here. ;) Success is in the eye of the beholder I guess. To say Carla Berube has had a modicum of success is a backhanded compliment at best. She is a very successful coach at a very respected institution, making a living at something she enjoys and living in an area she likes. What is modicum about that? :confused:
Tufts
Success in athletics comes from winning, no matter the beholder or the eye, that's why they keep score. My observation wasn't a "backhanded compliment" it was a statement of fact. I don't denigrate Carla Berube or Tufts University, but in any athletic endeavor the ultimate measure of success is winning championships, that's why there are so many fans of Connecticut, if they didn't have 11 nattys, they'd be like Illinois or Arizona. Some people are satisfied with where they are in life and what they are doing and that's okay, but success in any profession is defined by being the best there is at what you do, whatever the quantifiable measure may be. When Coach Berube wins nattys, then she'll be successful, if she doesn't then that's the modicum and if that's okay for her, then fine....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I have a few questions.

2. It seems to me that there is not a lot of turnover of head coaches for the womens's teams. Are there real opportunities for Shea and Marissa? Thoughts?

Thanks.

You can get a rough idea of recent turnover here:

List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches - Wikipedia

• 2012–13 season 76 new head coaches
  • 2013–14 season 60 new head coaches (counting one interim head coach)
  • 2014–15 season 29 new head coaches
  • 2015–16 season 26 new head coaches (counting one interim head coach)
  • 2016–17 season - as of 10 November, there are 56 newly filled positions (counting three interim head coaches).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
That averages about 50 new DI head coaches per year, so with 349 DI spots, that's about one in seven each year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You can get a rough idea of recent turnover here:

List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches - Wikipedia

• 2012–13 season 76 new head coaches
  • 2013–14 season 60 new head coaches (counting one interim head coach)
  • 2014–15 season 29 new head coaches
  • 2015–16 season 26 new head coaches (counting one interim head coach)
  • 2016–17 season - as of 10 November, there are 56 newly filled positions (counting three interim head coaches).
This is good, but the one thing it does not tell you is the "net # of new head coaches in D1 BB each year." For instance the coach at UCF was at UAlbany last year, so that is not a new head coach in D1 per se.

Reaction Score
I do not believe Shea is the odds-on favorite to replace Geno. She has no head coaching experience - simple as that. Plus I don't think the job is Geno's to give - or the current athletic director's. Does the next AD have to honor informal employment commitments made by his predecessor?

That said, I think Shea has a great gig, and I don't blame her for staying - even if it diminishes her chances of succeeding succeeding Geno. Don't underestimate the "perq" value of UCONN's 5-star travel. I've traveled the world for large (high-budget) companies and smaller, more frugal, companies. There is a huge difference in quality of life. A WNBA HC position would be a demotion for Shea.
Kevin Ollie didn't have any head coaching experience and UConn gave him the men's job. I don't think that will exclude Shea in any way.

Reaction Score
Success in athletics comes from winning, no matter the beholder or the eye, that's why they keep score. My observation wasn't a "backhanded compliment" it was a statement of fact. I don't denigrate Carla Berube or Tufts University, but in any athletic endeavor the ultimate measure of success is winning championships, that's why there are so many fans of Connecticut, if they didn't have 11 nattys, they'd be like Illinois or Arizona. Some people are satisfied with where they are in life and what they are doing and that's okay, but success in any profession is defined by being the best there is at what you do, whatever the quantifiable measure may be. When Coach Berube wins nattys, then she'll be successful, if she doesn't then that's the modicum and if that's okay for her, then fine....
Thank you for this lesson in life and sports! :) My first thought was to be snarky and call your comments Trumpionion like but I'm not to old to learn a lesson! In my decades of life and following sports I never realized the only teams or coaches that were considered successful were the ones that won national championships.
I do though find it hard (it may take time) to think the football teams of Penn St or your Buckeyes only had a modicum amount of success this year. Yep one at 11-3 and the other at 11-2....such losers....:( ....

Reaction Score
I'm an expert on exactly nothing in WBB--and know less of the Assistants other than what you noted. My thoughts are;

uconn pays their Assistants better than many lessor Div1 head coaches-(I think JmU's new HC get about 90,000)--so there is little financial gain moving around.
Also to be successful in Coaching you need: A good administration that buys (and pays) into your theory of how to build an elite program (assuming you were smart enough to determine that before being hired). Have a budget and staff sufficient to bring about the program you envision.
I believe; With the financial situation, the comfort of knowing the program and the people in it and living close by--any head coaching job would have to fill all the concerns above and be among the elite in the country for any of Geno's assistant/associate to think of leaving.
As a public university, you can look up the salaries. The last time I looked,
I'm an expert on exactly nothing in WBB--and know less of the Assistants other than what you noted. My thoughts are;

uconn pays their Assistants better than many lessor Div1 head coaches-(I think JmU's new HC get about 90,000)--so there is little financial gain moving around.
Also to be successful in Coaching you need: A good administration that buys (and pays) into your theory of how to build an elite program (assuming you were smart enough to determine that before being hired). Have a budget and staff sufficient to bring about the program you envision.
I believe; With the financial situation, the comfort of knowing the program and the people in it and living close by--any head coaching job would have to fill all the concerns above and be among the elite in the country for any of Geno's assistant/associate to think of leaving.
The last time I looked (public info), CD was making about $375,000 per year, Shea about $275,000, etc. Great program, great players, tremendous admin support. They could go to many other universities but would be difficult to earn as much, coach to filled gyms, learn as much, etc.

Reaction Score
As a public university, you can look up the salaries. The last time I looked,
The last time I looked (public info), CD was making about $375,000 per year, Shea about $275,000, etc. Great program, great players, tremendous admin support. They could go to many other universities but would be difficult to earn as much, coach to filled gyms, learn as much, etc.

Thanks---that verifies what I posted---Shea is making 3 times what the JMU new HC is making. CD doesn't matter--she has repeatedly said she isn't going anywhere albeit to Uconn's success she is worth a lot more.

Reaction Score
Thank you for this lesson in life and sports! :) My first thought was to be snarky and call your comments Trumpionion like but I'm not to old to learn a lesson! In my decades of life and following sports I never realized the only teams or coaches that were considered successful were the ones that won national championships.
I do though find it hard (it may take time) to think the football teams of Penn St or your Buckeyes only had a modicum amount of success this year. Yep one at 11-3 and the other at 11-2....such losers....:( ....

Interesting comment--the only successful BB teams are those that have won National Championship.
As a long time Uconn mens team and later women's team fan---I can tell you a very successful year was winning 20 games.
An extremely successful year was winning either the League title outright or at least the Tourney
An ultra extra extremely successful year was just getting into the NIT
No one could imagine beyond that. And Uconn men got into the NIT a few times --only one I remember is with a guy named Walker.
The game at R.I with the top players "accused" of misconduct missing --was like 7 to 9 at the half--and Uconn won
After the game--all charges were dismissed because of false charges---that was (believe it or not) an exciting game--
one mis-step by either coach meant a loss.. I was coach against coach. I thought it great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom