Assistant Coaches? | The Boneyard

Assistant Coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a few questions.

1. What is the general length of tenure for assistant coaches? Are Shea and Marissa "long" in the job or not? I have no idea. When might we expect them to get head coaching jobs? Can staying at UConn a lot longer hurt their chances for getting a head coaching job?

2. It seems to me that there is not a lot of turnover of head coaches for the womens's teams. Are there real opportunities for Shea and Marissa? Thoughts?

3. What is the history of Geno's assistants? I know CD has been there since the beginning of the Geno era. I know Tonya and Jamelle were before the current two. The only other assistant I know of is Megan, back in the 1990's. Whom am I missing?

Thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have a few questions.

1. What is the general length of tenure for assistant coaches? Are Shea and Marissa "long" in the job or not? I have no idea. When might we expect them to get head coaching jobs? Can staying at UConn a lot longer hurt their chances for getting a head coaching job?

2. It seems to me that there is not a lot of turnover of head coaches for the womens's teams. Are there real opportunities for Shea and Marissa? Thoughts?

3. What is the history of Geno's assistants? I know CD has been there since the beginning of the Geno era. I know Tonya and Jamelle were before the current two. The only other assistant I know of is Megan, back in the 1990's. Whom am I missing?

Thanks.
1) Unspecified. Not long enough for me. Hopefully no time soon.
2) Yes plenty of opportunities for both. I hope they Never leave UCONN.
3. Not outstanding. You are missing Jasmine Lister ( So am I) and a bunch of former players that are currently assistant coaches or HC elsewhere.
Being An Assistant To Geno Might Be Better Than Head Coach Job Elsewhere

Reaction Score
I'm an expert on exactly nothing in WBB--and know less of the Assistants other than what you noted. My thoughts are;

uconn pays their Assistants better than many lessor Div1 head coaches-(I think JmU's new HC get about 90,000)--so there is little financial gain moving around.
Also to be successful in Coaching you need: A good administration that buys (and pays) into your theory of how to build an elite program (assuming you were smart enough to determine that before being hired). Have a budget and staff sufficient to bring about the program you envision.
I believe; With the financial situation, the comfort of knowing the program and the people in it and living close by--any head coaching job would have to fill all the concerns above and be among the elite in the country for any of Geno's assistant/associate to think of leaving.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
In a sense, '82, I think you answered question #1 with your question #3. At UConn - and, if memory serves, at some other well-established powers like Stanford, ND, and Tennessee-back-in-the-day - there isn't a lot of turnover. UConn often has a graduate assistant (I think that's how Megan started), and they often only spend a couple of years before either moving to a "real" assistant coach job or resuming life outside of coaching. I've heard it said that an assistant position at UConn is better than many head coaching jobs - the pay is better, the travel arrangements are better, the resources are greater, and, perhaps most importantly, the respect from the university is better.

Regarding question #2, one reason, historically, for a lack of turnover has been a lack of concern and respect from the institution for women's sports. If the AD and alums don't care about women's basketball, then they don't care if the team does well. Basically, the head coach isn't held accountable for results - if their "plays nicely with others" skills are good, they can damn near stay forever. Now, that's beginning to change, as WCBB gets a little more attention everyday, in the sports press and from an increasingly female alumni. But, there are still places that aren't willing to invest in their women's program, and spend the money for staff and resources. If they currently have a pleasant coach who accepts things as they are, great.

Reaction Score
Marisa is from the area, has family in the Springfield area I believe, and is married. She may not be able to simply up and leave for a head coaching position, although Jen did it. Being an assistant at UConn making good money and being on championship teams and near family seems like a pretty good deal to me. CD is going to retire with Geno (her words). Shea would be a good head coach, not sure about her ties to the area - she's not a native I know that. If nothing else the assistants are getting to learn from the best in the business, and that opportunity doesn't exist anywhere else on the planet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the greatest and least recognized strengths of the program is the continuity of the coaching staff. Geno's primary assistants (CD, Shea & Marissa) are in their 8th season together.

While WBB does not have the turnover in the coaching ranks as the men's side, surely there must be a number of D1 women's programs in search of some of the Husky magic that have tried & failed to hire any one of these 3 assistants as their head coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno and CD have had a very consistent longevity with assistant coaches - Tonya (14), Jamelle (12 years), Shea (9), and Marissa (8). That is not unusual for the top programs because the pay and perks they get at Uconn is as good as many HCs at mid-majors and they get to learn from the best and WIN.

As far as openings go, there are quite a few each year and probably more each year with greater emphasis on performance in WCBB - but as CD discovered, sometimes the grass is pretty green right where you are and why leave.

I would suspect both Shea and Marisa field a few inquires every year, but they are both in positions where they can be very choosy. I suspect both would leave at this point if the right job opened up, and they might be getting to the point in their careers where they are feeling the itch to move on.

It is a sign of a good program to have stability in the assistant ranks, and always raises flags when there seems to be a turnstile in assistants at various programs, especial when assistants are leaving for other assistant jobs and not HC jobs. Mitchell at KY seemed to have lost not just his players but his whole coaching staff last year, JPM has had a turnstile going at Duke which likely didn't help with the team atmosphere leading to a string of high profile transfers.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Geno has some wonderful assistants and there is as much turnover in WCBB as there is in men's CBB. Being an assistant is a funny thing, they don't all aspire to be HC's, like CD and Mickie DeMoss at TN, who each could have had HC jobs years ago. The Shea and Marissa conversation seems to happen on this Board after the season every year, at least every year that I've been watching. Geno's former assistant's haven't exactly set WCBB on fire, Jen Rizzoti has done okay, I don't know if she was ever an assistant to Geno and Carla Berube's had a modicum of success, I know she was a former player, but never a Geno assistant. Tonya Cardoza, Jamelle Elliot and the rest haven't done anything major yet, so there is basically no Geno "coaching tree" that points to the ability of his success to be replicated.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Marisa is from the area, has family in the Springfield area I believe, and is married. She may not be able to simply up and leave for a head coaching position, although Jen did it. Being an assistant at UConn making good money and being on championship teams and near family seems like a pretty good deal to me. CD is going to retire with Geno (her words). Shea would be a good head coach, not sure about her ties to the area - she's not a native I know that. If nothing else the assistants are getting to learn from the best in the business, and that opportunity doesn't exist anywhere else on the planet.
Wait...... Marisa is married?
images

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno has some wonderful assistants and there is as much turnover in WCBB as there is in men's CBB. Being an assistant is a funny thing, they don't all aspire to be HC's, like CD and Mickie DeMoss at TN, who each could have had HC jobs years ago. The Shea and Marissa conversation seems to happen on this Board after the season every year, at least every year that I've been watching. Geno's former assistant's haven't exactly set WCBB on fire, Jen Rizzoti has done okay, I don't know if she was ever an assistant to Geno and Carla Berube's had a modicum of success, I know she was a former player, but never a Geno assistant. Tonya Cardoza, Jamelle Elliot and the rest haven't done anything major yet, so there is basically no Geno "coaching tree" that points to the ability of his success to be replicated.....
Agree with the post...but it should be added that Tonya is starting to really standout at Temple. (Personally, I ache for Jamelle who was a super player, a good UC Assistant and is an extra special individual who I hope attains success in the not too distant future)!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 - I agree with posters that Geno's "coaching tree" is a mixed bag - none of them look to be another Geno, although I'm not sure I would consider any of them a failure, either.
2 - It is true that UConn pays well and I doubt that UConn assistants want to be somewhere else on a day-to-day basis. Assistants in that situation are going to leave primarily when they look at a need to "get on" with their careers. However, coming from the UConn and still being (relatively) young, they could wait till Geno retires to move on, or, could leave at the "perfect" opportunity.
3 - Most better programs have a core group of assistant staff that are their long-term. Often someone with an Assoc. Head Coach title. Dawn Staley, Sylvia Hatchell, the late Kay Yow and Sue Gunter, and others had them. Sometimes they do move on (Jolette Law on Vivian's staff). Usually, you see one position on the staff turn over at a time, helping continuity.
4 - When everyone leaves, as referenced with Kentucky and happened to RU before last season, it isn't good. OTH, Kentucky brought in folks who had worked there previously and Lin Dunn, as opposed to Rutgers bringing in 3 assistants, 2 of whom had no background with CVS and one had minimal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In addition, Shea Ralph is the odds on favorite to be the next UConn coach
Shea may have a commitment of some kind from Geno and/or the administration to that effect. If not I would suggest that it is 50/50 between Shea & Jenn. There is something to be said about having success running your own program.

Reaction Score
Shea may have a commitment of some kind from Geno and/or the administration to that effect. If not I would suggest that it is 50/50 between Shea & Jenn. There is something to be said about having success running your own program.
I would take Shea Ralph hands down over Jenn. At this point in Geno career I suspect Shea, Marisa and CD do the majority of the recruiting and day to day operation of the program. Also, Shea is responsible for the development of the guards on the team, which has been very good. Also, I suspect Shea Ralph's name carries more cache with the young girls on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score

Or the 2 of them and 50/50 with someone else. The AD Changes and they pick the successors--not Uconn fans
Of course you could point to Ollie be a fan Favorite --he was picked by Calhoun. Geno is one loyal Dude--semi old.
So it is probably a good guess to ass u me that Geno would nominate Shea as his replacement--upon retirement.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I have a few questions.

Thanks.
This board has discussed the future of Shea many times before. Personally, I hope she stays on, and is being groomed to take over when Geno gets out. Watch her on the bench; watch her at time-outs; watch her during practices. I would hate to see her leave, as her whole appearance shows she is 100% into the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
Nikki demise actually was a head coach at both Florida and Kentucky at points in her career

Reaction Score

I will differ with you on one here. ;) Success is in the eye of the beholder I guess. To say Carla Berube has had a modicum of success is a backhanded compliment at best. She is a very successful coach at a very respected institution, making a living at something she enjoys and living in an area she likes. What is modicum about that? :confused:
Tufts

Reaction Score

I do not believe Shea is the odds-on favorite to replace Geno. She has no head coaching experience - simple as that. Plus I don't think the job is Geno's to give - or the current athletic director's. Does the next AD have to honor informal employment commitments made by his predecessor?

That said, I think Shea has a great gig, and I don't blame her for staying - even if it diminishes her chances of succeeding succeeding Geno. Don't underestimate the "perq" value of UCONN's 5-star travel. I've traveled the world for large (high-budget) companies and smaller, more frugal, companies. There is a huge difference in quality of life. A WNBA HC position would be a demotion for Shea.

Reaction Score

I have been thinking, and hoping, that too. But in the 2nd Geno Show he made a remark directly to Shea about "WHEN she gets her head coaching job .... And it didn't sound like he meant UCONN. It was so open that it almost sounded like a message to her, and I think she looked a little taken aback.
Now it is perfectly possible that he feels she needs HC experience in order to take the reins at UCONN, and I certainly wouldn't second guess him at that. If so, sobeit.
I know this is not the case with players by and large, but I would assume that at the level of head and experienced assistant coach they discuss such things in private. We all know Shea has always been one of his favorites, and unless he feels she just isn't right for the job I can't imagine he wouldn't want it for her.
Time will tell, but I'm rooting for Shea.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have been thinking, and hoping, that too. But in the 2nd Geno Show he made a remark directly to Shea about "WHEN she gets her head coaching job .... And it didn't sound like he meant UCONN. It was so open that it almost sounded like a message to her, and I think she looked a little taken aback.
Now it is perfectly possible that he feels she needs HC experience in order to take the reins at UCONN, and I certainly wouldn't second guess him at that. If so, sobeit.
I know this is not the case with players by and large, but I would assume that at the level of head and experienced assistant coach they discuss such things in private. We all know Shea has always been one of his favorites, and unless he feels she just isn't right for the job I can't imagine he wouldn't want it for her.
Time will tell, but I'm rooting for Shea.
Geno is demanding towards his players because he wants and expects them to develop fully as players & human beings. It's not surprising that he would have the same expectations for his assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom